1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Heard things I am not allowed to repeat.

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by David Michael Harris, Apr 21, 2005.

1. David Michael Harris

David Michael Harris Active Member

Paul says he heard things that he was not allowed to utter, I believe John too.

Anybody like to speculate or would it be improper to discuss it?

David

2. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Speculation is for the crude oil fields----you have to drill a lot of dry holes to come up with one that has black stuff ozzzzin' out!! The drillin' producer can't be for certain if he'll hit anything but he's gonna drill anyway which makes the "Wildcater" happy that at least he's got a job for the time being!!!

Peter wasn't allowed to say anything about what he caught a glimpse of on "The Holy Mount"---and he obeyed! Same way with Paul----

But to speculate on what he saw-----a glimpse of the glory!!!!! To describe it in its fullest---would exhaust the King's vocabulary!!!!!

3. David Michael Harris

Surley they knew that people would be curious, so it must be for a reason, after all, 'all scripture is profitable...'

Or is this part of scripture not worthy of a bible study.

David

4. David Michael Harris

I miss my house group in Tongwynlias, I could imagine us discussing this on a cold winters eve by a nice warm fire, encouraging one another in our faith, always polite and sensitive [​IMG]

I would probably say something like...maybe Paul saw and heard things with regards to earth and its people and he was not allowed to say anything because it could affect things down here on earth, some of the group would have their own ideas and we would all benefit from studying a portion of God's word. Then coffee and biscuits afterwards. House group bible study I think its called [​IMG]

5. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

No one knows what he heard, but this I do know this verse gives the lie to the modern tongues movement when they say that they are speaking a heavenly language. If what they say is true - then it is unlawful to utter it.

6. David Michael Harris

Should start a thread on tongues, I think a lot of it is twaddle.

David

7. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think anyone knows what Paul witnessed. What does the Scriptures say?

"Things which eye has not seen and hear has not heard, and which have not entered the heart of man, all that God has prepared for those who love Him." 1Cor2:9 (Is 64:4, 65:17).

This is one reason we must be careful about near death experiences. In fact that is probably what Paul had (in 2Cor 12:1-4), a near death experience. However if you read, or listen, to many near death experiences you will hear some where people are way too casual about it. If the Apostle could not repeat what he heard, nobody could be casual about it. So anytime you hear someone talking about having a casual "chat" with Jesus or angels, be warned. The Bible says that what is on the other side is too amazing. In fact the Apostle John, one of Jesus' closest earthly friends, fell like a dead man when he saw the risen/glorified Lord (Rev 1:17). Anyone who really gets a taste, as Paul and John did, will not be casual about it.

As for guessing about what Paul witnessed?

If Paul did not say, I dare not put words in his mouth. However I do think Revelation chapters 4-5 may give us a small peak.

In Christ,
    Martin.

8. jdcanady

jdcanady Member

To Martin

Some have speculated Paul's experience recounted in 1 Cor., was related to the Damascus road encounter with Jesus. I have considered the possibility of a near death experience for Paul. It may have been an actual death and resurrection experience for Paul. Perhaps when he was stoned at Lystra (Acts 14). Scripture says the people supposed him to be dead and threw the body out of the city. Probably to the garbage dump. While the disciples stood around (apparently they thought he was dead too, since they didn't try to aide him) "he arose" and went back into the city. I don't know if anyone ever survived a stoning. They were pretty careful to crush their heads with heavy rocks to insure death.

I don't know that it matters however. Paul's point in 1 Cor is that the "super apostles" of the Corinthians who were in opposition to him and he teaching, did not have spiritual experiences that exceded his own. He is basically saying, "oh, you say you've had dreams and visions. Well, let me tell you a little about mine. I went to heaven and spoke to God Himself!!" It was a way to assert his apostolic authority over them.

9. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

If Paul were to say, for example, that he learned the Sun is actually bigger than the earth, that many of the stars are actually greater than our own sun in size, and were to attempt to convey something of the distances involved, what would be the affect on his hearers? They would completely refuse to believe a word of it.

I don't think that's what he actually saw. But I think it sheds a little light on why he was forbidden to share.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I hope Paul saw the Cleveland Browns win a super bowl some day!