1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Heartland BBC?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by baptistteacher, Apr 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. baptistteacher

Site Supporter

Just wondering, is there anyone on the BB who is associated with or attending Heartland Baptist Bible College in Oklahoma City? Friend of Heartland?

2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I taught at Pacific Coast Baptist Bible College before it moved to Oklahoma and changed its name to Heartland. What do you want to know?

3. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My daughter will be attending HBBC in the fall. More than likely, my son will follow her next year. It is my privilege to know Bro. Sam Davision personally. He is a tremendous preacher and a very gracious man. I give this college a very high recommendation.

BTW - Good to have you back with us Doc. This is the first post I've seen since you've been back.

4. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nice to be back (I think). :D :D

5. Gayla

Gayla New Member

Cool, Pastor_Bob!

Our family has known Bro. Sam since I was three . .

how long is that, bro? [​IMG] [​IMG] ;) :D

6. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is if you want a sub-par degree from a sub-par institution that you won't be able to do anything with because it is not accreditted (sp). I don't think they can even take Pell Grants and student loans.

7. Bound4Glory

Bound4Glory New Member

I am planning on attending HBBC after highschool..in two years. you are right that they dont take Pell Grants and mI dont think they take student loans either.You are also right that they are non-accredited. But I dont agree with they statement that you cant do anything with the degree that you get from there. If any of you have heard of West Coast Baptist College...they are not accredited and they have on there home page a link that you can click and read that goes indepth on why they and many other fundamental baptist colleges are choosing to stay non-accredited, and the benfits of that decision.
    Personally..I only look at non-accredited colleges.

8. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just a couple points. If you are going to college to get a degree in order to be recognized by the world and make a lot of money then Heartland is probably not the school for you. Firstly because they are not accredited and secondly they are not authorized by the state of Oklahoma to grant degrees. You will get a certificate of completion but no degree.

On the other hand if you are looking for a school to prepare you for ministry in a Baptist church of like faith as Heartland then your education there will probably stand you in good stead and help you ministry to the Lord.

So, the question you must ask yourself is "Why do I want to go to college?" If the answer is "money and recognition" then choose a secular accredited school. If the answer is "ministry to the Lord" then a non-accredited school may well suit you just fine. [​IMG]

Don't be fooling into thinking accredited = quality education and non-accredited = lack of quality education. Many accredited schools offer low quality educations and many non-accredited schools offer high quality educations. Judge each school on its own merits, and by the quality of its graduates. [​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

Amen!

10. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is Heartland BBC a KJV-only school? Are any
    certain books by KJV-only authors promoted or
    favored by its president and teachers?

11. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Serious question - why would one invest the years and dollars in a "college" that cannot even offer a degree?

That is just a glorified Bible Institute with little credibility even in Christian circles.

Is this the case with Heartland?

Why did it move from California?

No slams here. Just serious questions. College is a term lots of ifbX are throwing around without much definition as to what a collegiate program really is.

12. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    People whose goal is not to get a sheep skin to hang on the wall but to be prepared for the Lord's service?
    Really? How much time have you spent at Heartland reviewing the curriculum, examining the abilities of the instructors, and sitting in on lectures and classes?

And why do you say it has no credibility in Christian circles when, in the circles it operates in, it is one of the only schools that is given much credibility?

Or do you mean that anyone with an opinion different from yours isn't Christian? [​IMG]

No. Had you gone there and looked at the school you might not have made so many assumptions. Or even asked the questions before coming to your "conclusions." [​IMG]

Central location and much greater number of churches of like faith and practice in that area of the country. Also it is much cheaper to live and work in Oklahoma than in that area of Southern California.

Of course not! We would never think you are judgmental without first getting all the information! :D
    Well, let's see.
    How foolish of those people to use the dictionary definition instead of the Dr. Bob definition! :D :D :D

13. Civemissionary

Civemissionary New Member

My church is heavily involved with Heartland, and I know quite a few people who go there. I'll be going there in a couple of years. And I too know Bro. Sam. He used to pastor my church.

14. Kayla

Kayla New Member

my good friend and an outstanding young man, is going to Heartland next year. He is going to be a pastor someday, soon. He is a very careful person and would not have gave the go ahead if he had not thought the school were God wanted him to go. I will probably myself attend Heartland in the fall of 2006. Alot of the kids who attend our church camp and get called o God into the ministry, go to Heartland. So ever though they are not affliated you could say they were friendly with one another. I would say follow God's will even if the world does not recoginize you. Who will you spend eterity with(if you are saved) God or worldly people who are not saved.

15. rmp1978

rmp1978 New Member

lol, Dr. Bob.

Hafta love it when you ask a serious question and get a serious flame in response.

*wink*

16. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

Just curious: What was the original point of this thread? I was thinking it was for fans of Heartland that wanted to have some fellowship with each other as opposed to inviting a critique of the school?

17. Brandon C. Jones

Brandon C. Jones New Member

I have an old acquaintance from undergrad who teaches there I think named Jason Gaddis. They "split" from our school while I was working on my bachelor's.

I must respond to TCassidy above...the world does not recognize any seminary degree and given the costs of some seminaries compared to their much cheaper counterparts...I'm not exactly rolling in money. I can't think of many who are rich with a seminary degree. I decided to go to Trinity to refine my beliefs instead of listening to people reinforce them...it was more expensive, but I think it was profitable for whatever God has in store for me regarding His service. I guess what I'm trying to say is that both are useful for the ministry...the attitude that one type is worldly and the other type is godly rubs me the wrong way I guess.

Blessings,
    BJ

18. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that was what I was saying too. [​IMG]

Glad to see you chose Trinity. My uncle was the man who took TEDS from a little known unaccredited school and turned it into an internationally recognized academic institution. He was Dean there for many many years. Dr. Kenneth Kantzer (Th.D. Harvard). He and his dear wife Ruth both passed away last year, but my mother, the oldest living Kantzer, is still alive and well at 99. [​IMG]

19. Kayla

Kayla New Member

I know brother Gaddis, the church he used to pastor comes to our church camp, his wife and I are really good friends.

20. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

TC,

I graduated from Trinity and took a class from Dr. Kantzer.

The thing I learned the most from him was his insistance that we not read our views into Scripture. Repeatedly, he would force us to realize that the text didn't teach or say what we thought it did! What does the text say?!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.