1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Heavens devils?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Heavenly Pilgrim, Aug 31, 2006.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Good Point.

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Good Point. Christ would never send Judas out with spiritual gifts and an evangelistic mission if he still needed to be converted.

In Christ,

Bob

3. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: You make an excellent point here. Judas partook of the ministry, and obviously was granted like gifts to do so. I have little doubt that at one point in time he was right with God.

4. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Not that I'm doubting but where do you see Judas active in the ministry?

5. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I was wondering myself. I know in Acts it says Judas obtained part in the ministry but don't know of anything he did. I am not saying he didn't I just can't think of any right now.

"17": For he was numbered with us, and had obtained part of this ministry.

"18": Now this man purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out.

"19": And it was known unto all the dwellers at Jerusalem; insomuch as that field is called in their proper tongue, Aceldama, that is to say, The field of blood.

"20": For it is written in the book of Psalms, Let his habitation be desolate, and let no man dwell therein: and his bishoprick let another take.

"21": Wherefore of these men which have companied with us all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us,

"22": Beginning from the baptism of John, unto that same day that he was taken up from us, must one be ordained to be a witness with us of his resurrection.

"23": And they appointed two, Joseph called Barsabas, who was surnamed Justus, and Matthias.

"24": And they prayed, and said, Thou, Lord, which knowest the hearts of all men, shew whether of these two thou hast chosen,

"25": That he may take part of this ministry and apostleship, from which Judas by transgression fell, that he might go to his own place.

What was his own place, it seems he had this place even before the transgression?

#25 Brother Bob, Sep 3, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2006
  6. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: It is a penumbral notion, very obvious although certainly between the lines. :)

The very fact of him being a disciple hand picked by Christ and holding the purse as one of them, shows to me that he was indeed a trusted part of the ministry team. There is something else that I cannot recall at this time that has lead me to believe that he was especially loved by Jesus. I will have to see if I can recall what it was that gave me that impression. It may have been something I read in a commentary or in a book I have read, and not directly found in Scripture. I just cannot recall at this time. I will see if I can locate it if possible.

I like Brother Bob’s references, especially this one, “That he may take part of this ministry and apostleship, from which Judas by transgression fell, that he might go to his own place.

7. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

We are told in Luke 6 and John 6 that he was one of the twelve apostles. Peter said, in Acts 1:17, "For he was numbered with us and had obtained part of this ministry." In Matthew 26:50, Jesus called Judas "friend". In the Psalms, you have one of David's closest friends who betrays him.

Psalm 41:9 says, "Yea, mine own familiar friend, in whom I trusted, which did eat of my bread, hath lifted up his heel against me."

The Lord quoted this Psalm in John 13:18 as being fulfilled through Judas in John 13:18: "I speak not of you all: I know whom I have chosen: but that the scripture may be fulfilled, He that eateth bread with me hath lifted up his heel against me."

Judas was not the Lord's enemy! Psalm 55:12-14: "For it was not an enemy that reproached me; then I could have borne it: neither was it he that hated me that did magnify himself against me; then I would have hid myself from him: But it was thou, a man mine equal, my guide, and mine acquaintance. We took sweet counsel together, and walked unto the house of God in company.

Matthew 10:1 tells us, "And when he had called unto him his twelve disciples, he gave them power against unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal all manner of sickness and all manner of disease." Then, it lists them and names Judas. He was not only a disciple (saved), but he was elect (called out)!

Luke 6:16: "And Judas the brother of James, and Judas Iscariot, which also was the traitor." The word "traitor" refers to a person who violates or goes against that which has been trusted to him. A traitor commits treason. A French sailor cannot be convicted of treason against a US ship.

Judas was a thief and he betrayed his Lord for self-gain, but he was still saved at one point.

So, if he is unsaved now, he must have lost his spiritual salvation, and we are told throughout Scriptures that's not possible.

8. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: I missed the references. Could you post them for us?

9. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I realize he was called and numbered with the 12. I know the part Judas performed was "that the scripture may be fulfilled". I know Judas seemed to be part of the visible ministry. Those are not my question at all.

Your quote above, disciple = saved? That is more where I'm coming from. The disciples, as they walked with Christ, were they saved at that time? Even their baptism, wasn't it just a baptism of repentance? Mt 16 Jesus said, "I will build". Was there a Church at that time? Is not our salvation or hope in being raised from the dead based on Jesus being raised (I Cor 15:14)?

Also keep in mind, there were people preaching, healing and casting out spirits in the name of Jesus whom Jesus said, failed to first obtain their own salvation. So can we say that because Judas worked with the others that he was saved?

I guess my real question is, can one who is converted, has a renewed heart and hs built his hopes on nothing less than Jesus, where would you find it in your heart to betray him? I am talking about a clean heart, one that was purged of the old man and filled with the spirit fo God. Where would betrayel be in his heart? This would equate to killing the pilot at 30,000 feet. All your hope is in that pilot, would you betray him?

I'm not saying Judas hated or was an enemy to Jesus but it appears he was not fully commited. He, like some Christians today, tried to hold on to Jesus with one hand and still hold on to the world with the other. That person is not fully committed. He merely has one foot pointed at the cross and the other pointed at self. He is unstable in this position and will not "stand" at the judgement.

#29 LeBuick, Sep 3, 2006
  10. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I don't see where anything you posted indicates Judas was saved. Before Pentecost, there was no indwelling of the HS. In fact, while Jesus was on earth, the HS was not in believers at all because Jesus said he would send the HS after he left, and until he left, the "Comforter" could not come.

So I don't think any of the apostles were necessarily saved before Pentecost. And Judas was dead by then. They did not even realize who Jesus really was until after the resurrection - they were constantly confused. There were many concepts of the Messiah at that time -- they did not even understand Jesus when he said he had to suffer and be killed by men. They did not believe the women when they said Jesus was not in the tomb.

Judas betrayed Christ. I don't see how he could be elect when Jesus himself said it would have been better for him to have never been born. That's about as harsh a condemnation you can give anybody.

11. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Here's an interesting article on Judas:
    http://www.letusreason.org/Doct48.htm

Excerpt:
    You really need to read the whole article.

12. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Matt. 26:23-24 He answered and said, “He who dipped his hand with Me in the dish will betray Me. “The Son of Man indeed goes just as it is written of Him, but woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed! It would have been good for that man if he had not been born.”

John 17.12 "While I was with them, I was keeping them in Your name which You have given Me; and I guarded them and not one of them perished but the son of perdition, so that the Scripture would be fulfilled."

John 13:27Now after the piece of bread, Satan entered him."

This is about as bad as it gets. I don't think the Bible could be any clearer about Judas' final destination.

13. Heavenly Pilgrim

LeBuick: For starters I enjoyed your post. It was well thought out, balanced, and insightful.

Let me add this as a preface to this post. Care needs to be given by all not to allow arguments to pit one against another, but to utilize each other to sharpen our own insight and to broaden our perspectives. If we all can do this, showing love and common respect one to another as we discuss these issues, even when we disagree, we will all be the better because of them. Forgive me if I am just preaching to the choir. We will be able to say, even to those whom we disagree, I have become a better informed person on the account of your insight.

You raise some excellent points. Not to disagree with your conclusions, let me ask you a question as food for thought. How did Adam and Eve find it in their heart to betray God? Think about the communion and the privilege our first parents enjoyed as they walked in the cool of the garden with God. Think about Saul of the OT. Think about Samson and the foolish way he used the power God granted to him. Can we safely reason by wondering how one can find it in ones heart to betray the Lord, seeing so many examples of sin and betrayal that leaves us breathless?

How about our own lives? Have we ever done anything that in retrospect we could say, how could I ever of even thought of doing that against God, let alone do it? I believe we all could find something along that order that we would like to place in a hole so deep it could never be brought up again. Is it not enough that to know that our flesh and Satan are formidable adversaries and that in our finite state there is much sin that can and often does ‘so easily beset us?’

Would it be to our advantage to at least say, but for the grace of God, there goes I, recognizing that none of us are not isolated from any such turn of attitude, and that we must remain vigilant in order that we ourselves are not deceived as Judas might have been? It would seem the greater danger to me to say, “That could never happen to me as a Christian, than to cry out in prayer, “OH Lord, Keep me from evil! Make my paths straight and deliver me from all the forces and powers of the enemy that seek to devour me! I recognize that without you I can do nothing, including remaining faithful! Establish my heart in holiness, and make straight the paths for my feet!”

I cannot help but believe that as that grat day approaches, we all will be shocked to see those we believed in and trusted turn from their first love to the point it can be asked, will the Lord find faith upon the earth when He returns?

Consider how many 'perfect marraiges' we have seen so quickly dissolved in a flash of anger, careless passion, or foolish action, or how a mother could take the life of her own children, or a pastor commit adultery. (the list of impossible to conceive of actions, of even those that have walked with the Lord, is endless)

God help us order our lives in accordance to your Word and learn from the mistakes and sin of others, including Judas.

14. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: I am again not necessarily disagreeing with you, for I am not God, able to look into their hearts. Just the same, what about the notion of belief? If one can be shown to clearly have believed on the Lord Jesus, having it revealed to him by God, and then following him, can we assume such a one was not saved? How about Jesus telling them they were His chosen disciples? To be a disciple of Christ is not to receive of His life? Would exercising faith in Him to the point of walking on water count for anything? How about Nathaniel. “There is an Israelite, in whom there is no guile!” How about Jesus telling them they were the “salt of the earth” and the “light of the world?”

Consider the prayer of our Lord on their behalf. " Joh 17:14 I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.
    15 I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil.
    16 They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.
    17 ¶ Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.
    18 As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world.
    19 And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth. "

Are you sure about them not being believers before Pentecost? I sure would have my doubts that they were not.

#34 Heavenly Pilgrim, Sep 3, 2006
  15. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

son of perdition is (son of eternal damnation) Hard to believe he was ever saved for me.

16. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

No Sir, let me apologize if I have at all made you feel attacked. I agree, this is steel sharpening steel. I do know many people feel I can be quite harsh with words but genuinely in my heart I have nothing but love for my fellowman.

All those examples you sited were people who believed GOD, but did not commune with God in the flesh. Faith is great and I no way want to take away from its importance. I somehow hold those men to a different level (not faith) because they saw him, touched him, wanted him perform many maricles... Faith implies hope in the unseen.

17. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

To add to yours, Peter stated the confession of faith, "thou art the Christ etc..."

Believed = yes... Saved = ??????? I can't find that one in scripture.

18. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: You have NEVER attacked me in any way. I should have made that point in a separate post so as not to be seen as possibly addressing anything you have said or done. Forgive me.

Live and learn. :)

19. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: Judas is a tough case at best. On the other side of the coin were the words of our Lord that said He had lost none other than Judas, at least indicating to me the ‘possibility existed’ that he was saved at one time. I sure do not desire to make doctrine out of the case of Judas for sure.

20. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

:smilewinkgrin: :smilewinkgrin: