1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hebrew and Greek only

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Ben Mills SsBG, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Ben Mills SsBG

Ben Mills SsBG New Member

I know that I am not a Baptist and am therefore not suppose to post here. But I will anyway because this issue of translations is a pet peeve of mine. For what it is worth I believe that all people who call themselves by the name of christian should read and memorize scripture in the original languages. This goes for both First and Second Testaments. I am 23 and I know Greek and Hebrew. In the Islamic faith they only allow people to read and memorize in Arabic. This is something that Christians need to do as well. We as westerners are too lazy to work at reading and understanding scripture so we come out with easier translations every year. Of course you all know that the translation boom is not just so people can read the bible easier, it is so people can get rich. I have never understood how people can justify SELLING the word of Elohim. We are making a profit off of Elohim. Is that not one of the reasons Jesus got angry in the temple? Just some food for thought. Jesus Wouldn’t Sell Bibles, JWSB.

2. Orvie

Orvie New Member

You're right, you can't post here. However, there's another thread about versions, etc for anybody to post, go there. Hava nice day.

3. Ben Mills SsBG

And the will know we are Christians by our love?

4. russell55

russell55 New Member

It has nothing to do with not treating you with love, it has to do with submission to the rules of the forum.

5. Ben Mills SsBG

Oh I see. May I ask why the rule is there?

6. Pastor KevinR

Pastor KevinR New Member

My assumption: Baptistboard, instead of "Christianboard".

7. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is being moved to Other Religions / Doctrines Forum.

While we expect all Baptist Board members to abide by the rules, the greatest commandment is still love.

8. thessalonian

thessalonian New Member

So are their "Christians" in hell because they did not memorize verses in hebrew and Greek? Since the illiterate (the vast majority of the worlds population over 2000 years, could not even read scriptures, let alone memorize them, are they in hell?

I take it you weren't in favor of Martin Luther and Tynsdale translating the Bible.

[​IMG] Blessings

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Wow Ben! You certainly have some strong views on things.

This one is a toughy.
    How soon after salvation should a person be required to learn Hebrew and Greek?
    If he doesn't does that mean he is outside of God's will?
    How does this fit into your "no divisions" idea - must everyone then agree with you on this opinion?
    Are those who disagree with you causing divisions?

How about just a little love and compassion toward those of us who are not as intelligent as you are in these two languages, must we do without the Word of God until we learn them?

10. russell55

russell55 New Member

So, are you against all translation from the Hebrew and Greek?

11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You have a misconception of the Islamic faith. They certainly are taught to memorize in Arabic, from their early childhood. But there is a catch. They memorize the words by rote, without meaning. I used to do that as a Catholic. I memorized a great deal of the Catholic mass in Latin. I had no idea what the Latin meant. I only knew that it was a Latin prayer that was part of the Mass.

Muslims do the same but take it to an even greater extreme. Some may have the entire Koran memorized and not have any idea of the concepts that it is teaching. Most don't know what the Koran teaches.
    DHK

12. Ben Mills SsBG

As do most Americans. We are cultural christians. We go to church and pray but we miss the boat. I do not think that we need to talk leagalisticly here. I just think that we as a church would be better christians if we read and were taught the scripture in the original languages. I know that a new convert would not know the languages but that is why we are here to help them. It is called desipleship. Or are we all just too confertable being Sunday Christians?

13. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Do you really believe Ben that not knowing Greek and Hebrew makes one a "Sunday Christian"?
    I agree that in many ways Christians only wear their "faith" one day a week, but really don't see the requirement to learn Greek and Hebrew - I am honestly mystified by the requirement. I have spent so many hours simply discipling people in holy living that Greek and Hebrew don't see quite so high on the list.

14. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

That must be why so many think it is peaceful, only. Especially the Americanized ones here.

15. Ben Mills SsBG

I do not know what you are hung up on. All I am saying is that christians should know Greek and Hebrew. It is by no means a requirment. One can be a perfectly good christian and not know the original languages. All that I am saying is that we should learn them and that our lazyness should not keep us from doing so. I think that we as westerners make too many excuses about how we live and what we think. This post was made in the Translation section of the "baptist only" section. I am not trying to be legalistic. I just think that all christians should know the languages. We as a christian population are far too undereducated.

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I agree with you only to an extent, Ben. I believe that it is good to be acquainted with the Hebrew and Greek. Memorizing is quite a different story.
    DHK

17. NaasPreacher (C4K)

This was an earlier quote of yours Ben

"For what it is worth I believe that all people who call themselves by the name of christian should read and memorize scripture in the original languages."

Is that what you mean, or do you mean that Christians should have a working knowledge of the languages? There is a HUGE difference.

18. Ben Mills SsBG

Do you guys not think that it would be better for Christians to read and memorize in the original languages? I think we should. I do not think that we HAVE to but we defiantly SHOULD. Why is it such a big deal to people? Are we afraid of hard work? I think that we are too accustomed to being spoon fed our Christianity that studying scares us to death. I think that we all agree that schools are dumbing-down the education of children. In this same was I think that Christianity has suffered because of multiple translations and interpretations of scripture.

19. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Call me lazy then Ben. English is my language of thought. I am too old for another langauge to become that. If I memorised in Greek or Hebrew it would just be sounds.

From a lazy, old, ignorant, and apparently unspiritual, missionary in Ireland :( .

20. Ben Mills SsBG

Again I think you are taking me a little far a field. This topic is about what I think is the best not what is a requirement. I really do not want people to take it personally. Just think about it. We are called to study to show our selves approved unto Elohim. And I think that the vast majority of people are not doing that.