1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

HEBREW vs Hebrew

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Phillip, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Hebrew scholars please help me. I know all of you hang out here so I feel this is an appropriate place to post this question.

Please correct me if I am wrong:

Modern Hebrew is a language manufactured or revived by a modern scholar sometime in the 19th century or thereabout, correct?

It was based on ancient Hebrew, but with modernization, correct?

Just exactly how much does modern Hebrew REALLY vary from ancient Hebrew found in (for instance) the MT or the CT?

Let me further define this--can a modern Israeli read ancient Hebrew at all, and if he can, can he understand it reasonably? Just how well can he understand it? What are the big differences?

If a person learns ancient Hebrew, can he read modern Hebrew and understand it? If so, how well?

Please be as specific as you can.

2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm no scholar, (just a beginner) but here is a good general article explaining the answer well, probably in more detail that you're looking for: HEBREW LANGUAGE

The vocabulary of Biblical Hebrew is small.
    Once you get past the strange letters, the language is relatively simple as far as foriegn language studies go.

Rob

3. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

4. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Thank you for those links. VERY interesting.

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Hebrew I read in the Jerusalem newspapers was the same as biblical Hebrew. What united Jews around the world into founding/support of Israel was the common language.

6. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

Didn't modern Hebrew incorporate some of the endings and verb forms of Mishnaic Hebrew?

7. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

I assume that you are talking about the langauge in general and that new words have been added; but in context it was probably easy to understand. Would this be a correct statement?

8. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Phillip,

Hebrew as a language died about the time of the exile.

When the Jews came back (just in time for Christ) Aramaic was the more dominant language ... kind of like our KJV and modern english (I am being simplistic).

At that time Greek was a co-dominant language. The Septuagint was used at times even more than what we now call the MT.

Over the centuries there were 3 major grammatical revisions of the MT and the usage of VOWEL points.

About 1880 Began the more modern era with Ben Yehuda ...

Short answer ... more is at:

Hebrew web page