1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Heees back...predicting the end of the the world date again

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Alive in Christ, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, that sort of claptrap is nothing new:

""Well, me and my missis likes the doctrines of grace, and therefore we've gone to hear Mr. Bawler lately." "Oh! you mean the good man at the High Calvinist Meeting?" "Yes, sir, and we are so happy; we get right good food there, sixteen ounces to the pound. . . .Mr. Bawler led us blessedly into that passage, `Art thou a man given to appetite? Put a knife to thy throat when thou sittest before a ruler.' . . ."what did Mr. Bawler tell you about his text?" "Well, he said a man given to appetite was a young convert, who is sure to have a tremendous appetite for preaching, and always wants food; but he ain't always nice about what sort of food it is." . . . .The subject was, I suppose, the mischievous effects of young Christians listening to any preachers but those of the hyper school; and the moral drawn from it was, that sooner than this brother should go to hear his former minister, he had better cut his throat! That was accommodating considerably! Ye critics, we give over such dead horses as these to your doggish teeth.
    . . . . .
    You have all heard of William Huntington's famous rendering of the passage in Isaiah 11:8: "The sucking child shall play on the hole of the asp, and the weaned child shall put his hand on the cockatrice' den." "`The sucking child,' that is, the babe in grace, `shall play on the hole of the asp,' `the asp,' that is, the Arminian: `the hole of the asp,' that is, the Arminian's mouth." Then follows an account of the games in which simple minds are more than a match for Arminian wisdom. Professors of the other school of divinity have usually had the good sense not to return the compliment, or the Antinomians might have found themselves ranked with cockatrices, and their opponents boastfully defying them at the mouths of their dens. Such abuse only injures those who use it. Theological differences are better expounded and enforced than by such buffoonery." —Charles Spurgeon, Lectures to My Students