1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Heinz 57

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Us Baptists love to joke that Baptists are Heinz 57 - as there are so many varities!

So, lets kick back and mention not only what Baptist group we are currently affiliated with
    but also what Baptist groups we have been part of the in the past, as well as any non-Baptist
    groups you were part of in the past (and that includes military chapels)

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I grew up in a GARBC (I keep forgetting is that General Armies of Rebellious Baptists - or was it General Association of Regular Baptists!). When I joined the Army - did not attend chapel, because, my thinking that they were not any good - At AIT - I went to a IFB church for the months - then was stationed at Atlanta Army Depot - once again - I attended a IFB church. Arrived in Germany - attended the Army Chapel - the Chaplain - well -I only went once. Started to attend the Air Force Chapel - Ch Rhoades - a United Methodist - he preached the Gospel - really enjoyed it. About a year later, I decided to attend the SBC church in town - after conversations with the pastors - I realized that the SBC wasant all that bad - and he had attended Tennessee Temple. Over the next years - I was in SBC, GARBC and IFB churches - just depended where I was at. For a while I was interim pastor of a Free-will Baptist - but for several years I have pastored in SBC churches.

3. Guvnuh

Guvnuh Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Grew up in an SBC church. Mom side of the family were BMA. Daddy side was mixture of SBC n everything else. After I was saved , I joined an SBC. Few years later, became a part of an Assembly of God church, loved the old time gospel hymns with the up tempo, never could come to grips with their doctrine though. After a couple years , getting married and having kids, we rejoined my childhood SBC church. Been there 35 years.

4. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our family background is fairly consistently non-SBC missionary Baptist, with a Southern Baptist or Primitive Baptist thrown in the mix now and again (maternal grandmother's first cousin was a prominent PB minister in Texas, and paternal grandfather's first cousin was and remains the youngest man to ever pastor of First Baptist [SBC] Church in Nacogdoches). The church I grew up in was nominally in the American Baptist Association. They never participated too much on the national level, but did in the local association and somewhat in the state association. My wife and I were members of a BMAA church for several years, but have chosen to work among unaffiliated Baptist churches for the most part.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. lanman87

lanman87 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was born and raised in a rural SBC in Alabama. RA's, Youth Group/Choir, VBS, Dad was a deacon and my mother was active in WMU and taught Sunday School.

Met my wife at the Baptist Campus Ministries in College (even though she was Methodist she hang out at the BCM). Joined a Southern Baptist church in my college town. Then moved to Nashville for 6 months and attended a SBC in Nashville. Then moved to a town just south of Nashville and joined a First Baptist Church, (Which we loved attending).

Move to North Alabama 16 years ago. Bounced around between a few SBC's trying to find a good fit (we were spoiled by the FBC we attended in TN). 6 or 7 years ago we ended up in what I call a Non-Denominational Reformed-ish Baptist Church. We love it for various reasons.

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Saved by grace thru the ministry of the 4th Baptist Church in Minneapolis. Had been part of Northern Baptist convention but had left following WWII to join the Conservative Baptist Association. It left the Conservative Baptists to join the New Testament Association of Baptist Churches as did Pillsbury Baptist College where I attended. I was licensed and later ordained Independent Baptist.

Our ministries 16 years in Wisconsin were "Independent Baptist" but both churches from CBA of A background, so not "extreme" independent .

In Texas we were at "Independent Fundamental" church that was 100% Baptist (but not called Baptist on the sign lest it be confused with SBC Baptists).
    Then at SBC at First Baptist, Dallas.

In Wyoming we were "Independent Baptist" 16 years and Founder/Director of the Wyoming Fellowship of Independent Baptist Churches.

For the past 16 years "Independent Reformed Baptist", unaffiliated with any national group.

As we move back to retire in Wisconsin, we will probably join the largest Independent Baptist church in the state, two miles from our new home. We shall see.

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dr Bob, what years were you at FBC, Dallas?

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    1987-88 - had "burned out" a bit ministering and issues where I was on staff as college pastor (I was dean of college in Lewisville suburb and wife over her head in ministry with the gals as well as writing curriculum in the college) so we took 16 months to "recharge" by attending/volunteering at FBC in Doc's last full year.

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In 1979 I had visited FBC one July Sun night - I was stationed at Ft Hood, Tx.
    1986, I was living in Arlington for about 2 months after I left the Army
    Either way, I missed you both times.

But that night, I visited Wally C was not there - either he was in Russia or he was sick
    I visted FBC, Atlanta once (1987) - and Dr Stanely was not in the pulpit that Sunday.
    I just forget which one was sick and which one was in Russia! (can I blame old age?)