1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Heisman Trophy

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by PastorSBC1303, Dec 10, 2005.

1. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Later today the Heisman will be awarded to either Vince Young, Reggie Bush, or Matt Leinhart....

who is your pick to win?

I would guess that Reggie Bush will win...however I think Vince Young is the most deserving. IMO, Young has been the best player in college football this year. He has done it all.

I would rank them as:

1. Young
    2. Bush
    3. Leinhart

2. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think Bush is the most deserving, and I think after he wins the Heisman, he'll go in the top 5 of the NFL draft.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I rank them:

1. Bush
    2. Young
    3. Leinhart

4. bruren777

bruren777 New Member

Today the Cingular ALL-American Team was on tv. They and articles on various college football athletes. They also had a real nice article about Reggie White. They interviewed some atheles whom knew Reggie and all of them told how Reggie touched their lives.

I wonder if they play football in Heaven. If they do Reggie is playing left tackle and sacking the quarterback!

Go Reggie, God Bless you Brother!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. PastorSBC1303

It is official...Reggie Bush is the Heisman winner.

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    By the second greatest margin ever. Guess most saw thru the hype Texas was trying to sell!!

I was disappointed that Lienhart did not do as well. His numbers and actions this year (coming in 3rd) were actually far BETTER than LAST year (coming in 1st)

Guess the voters threw a bone to Texas, but I'd have gone 1-2 for the USC players.

7. WallyGator

WallyGator New Member

Dr. Bob,
    Ever heard of a "junkyard" dog? They love bones and will fight anyone for one. The Heisman vote might just give Texas the incentive to prove the West Coast dandies that after all football is also played in Texas!
    WallyGator [​IMG]

8. nate

nate New Member

How can you not go Bush? I mean he had 500+ yards against Fresno. That said I hate the USC trojans but they win 3 straight national titles.

9. dp

dp Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi nate... well them Trojans ain't won that 3rd straight yet... and as for the 500+ yds against Fresno... uhhh... Fresno who??? Wasn't that same Fresno 'State' that almost... just almost beat 'em???

10. dp

dp Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, nice call, Ken...

11. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Reggie Bush deserved it.

Having said that, I believe the Hypeman Trophy to be the most overrated award in all of sports. It's a sham of what it used to be. 1997's debacle was the icing on the cake of what is the biggest farce in all of sports awards.

12. jstrickland1989

jstrickland1989 New Member

Hi nate... well them Trojans ain't won that 3rd straight yet... and as for the 500+ yds against Fresno... uhhh... Fresno who??? Wasn't that same Fresno 'State' that almost... just almost beat 'em??? </font>[/QUOTE]lol, minds well go ahead and put another win in the books. No doubt that the are going to win. Texas just isn't the kind of team that USC has become.

James

13. dp

dp Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    lol here too, james...

well any win doesn't get 'put in the books' until it's actually won... on the field... not 'won' in opinions of people regardless of number or how sincerely and wholeheartedly they believe it'll be this way or that... yourself not excluded...

as for the "no doubt" part I'd venture to say that there are many a doubt even though you believe to the contrary... the game has yet to be played...

as for Texas not being the kind of team that USC has become... hmmm... for that matter nobody else is either and in reality USC is merely a single game away from never being the kind of team they, themselves, have become... ever again... attrition...

nobody is invincible... even USC... it's just a matter of who and when and even if it's not Texas this coming matchup, USC will in all likelihood lose next season and will probably not replicate their successes and accomplishments of the past few years... ever...

Oh... and just for the fun of it again... Fresno who???

14. dp

dp Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    TomVols... agreed...

15. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

Agree with TomVols on the Heisman. You can win it and then go undrafted (Jason White). But for those of us paying less attention in the nineties, can you outline the 97' debacle. I believe Woodson won it over Payton Manning, but I don't know the details.

16. TomVols

TomVols New Member

In 1997, you are correct. Charles Woodson was given the Heisman over Peyton Manning. Bob Griese, Lou Holtz, Tim Brando, Mike Gottfried, to name a few, called the outcome a sham. One coach went on record saying Peyton should've won..it was Lloyd Carr, Woodson's own coach.

Peyton Manning in 1997 had higher numbers than the previous year's winner, Flordia QB Danny Wuerffuel. The Vols' record and ranking were equal or better. Manning completed 60% of his passes for 3,816 yards and 36 touchdowns against 11 interceptions.

As for Woodson, here are his numbers: 43 tackles, 7 interceptions, 5 pass deflections. Much was made that he was a two-way player. Okay, here are his offensive numbers: 11 catches on the year, and his punt returns were for an average of 8 yards per. If he had played at UT, he would've been 3rd on the team in tackles..among cornerbacks. He would've been fourth in punt return average. He would've been third on Georgia's team in all aspects, as Hines Ward and Champ Bailey had better numbers playing offense and defense. Vanderbilt's Corey Chavous had better numbers.

Rudy Riska, director of the Heisman Trophy Trust, made comments that started the whole "conspiracy" theory, which I'll leave to others' imagination. I simply believe it was politically correct for a defensive player to win the Heisman (I'd been arguing that for years), but the justification was from Woodson's other abilities.

One sportswriter said Woodson was the "biggest jerk he'd covered." It was the Wolverines' beat writer for the Detroit Free Press.

Woodson was also named the Walter Camp foundation player of the year. It is customary for the winner to volunteer at area charities. Woodson refused, angering local media when he left the Camp foundation children's banquet early and refusing to sign autographs there. Woodson was the first player to demand (1) An appearance fee of $5,000 for winning the award; (2) Airline tickets, hotel rooms, and local tickets for a large party he wanted to bring with him that included bodyguards, an agent, and cousins.
    Manning, on the other hand, attended though he did not win. He volunteered at local hospitals.
    Camp Vice President Walter Barbarosa said he wished they could revote - not just for the Walter Camp Trophy, but the Heisman.

I could give more ancedotes of Peyton's generosity locally and other ancedotes of Woodson's boorish behavior. I could cite other players with better numbers than Woodson and players who won the Heisman with less stellar numbers than Peyton (Not just Charlie Ward, who was so good at football he ended up in the NBA). I'll share this ancedote, though: While working in the administrative building at a college in Louisville, one of the deans passed me by in the hall as I had a UT sweater on the week after the Heisman voting. She offered condolences, and while she was not a football fan, she recited Peyton's accomplishments both athletically and academically and talked of how it was a "shame" he didn't win the award and "that other guy.....oh, what's his name?" did.

When someone who isn't even a fan knows someone is a household name, that says something.

17. dp

dp Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, Dr. Bob... throw Texas another 'bone'... must be more of that 'hype' they were trying to 'sell'...

18. PastorSBC1303

467 yards and 3 TDs in a National Title game. Case closed. [​IMG]

19. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Heisman Committee made a booboo.

Vince Young is the man. [​IMG] Hands down.

20. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see no reason to put down Reggie Bush. The Heisman trophy is given for a whole regular season's work, not just a one game performance. And based on that Reggie Bush was the man.