1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hell created before Adam and Eve?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Carolyn Dee, Jun 8, 2006.

1. Carolyn Dee

Carolyn Dee New Member

I'm sure this has been discussed before. Since God is omniscient, hell must have been created and finished before bringing Adam and Eve into being? Perhaps it was created after Lucifer fell? Hmm! Thoughts and Biblical comments please. Thanks.

2. Blammo

Blammo New Member

Well, we know from scripture, hell was not prepared for man. Hell was prepared for the devil and his angels. Does that partially answer the question?

Matthew 25:41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

3. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

And since God is omnipresent, He must have been there. ??

4. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I often ask this same question. Especially in the light of Is 14:12-15. In revelations, Hell is cast into the lake of fire but Peter said Jesus went there on the second day of his death. Jonah was said to spend time there also. Is this a physical place they describe?

5. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Yes. Hell was made at the same time earth was made.

Eph 4....

8Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.

9(Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?

10He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.

It is clear by this passage that hell is in the earth. Earth was made before man.

6. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Sometimes the word translated as "hell" comes from the word for "grave" and has nothing to do with the lake of fire in Revelation.

Jesus didn't go to hell -- he went to the grave (he died).

I don't think the Bible tells us when hell (Lake of fire) was created, so we don't know.

7. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

The entire question assumes the literal, punctiliar creation of a first man and woman, and that hell is a place rather than a condition of alienation from God. Dismiss those assumptions and the question becomes unnecessary.

8. Rex77

Rex77 Member

Marcia quote
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Jesus didn't go to hell -- he went to the grave (he died).
    ----------------------------------------------------
    1Pe 3:18 ¶ For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
    19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
    20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

Hell is in centre of earth now. and will be cast into lake of fire later.

Re 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

9. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Hello Carolyn.

Jesus said Hell was prepared, made ready, not created for the angels. :cool:
    I have assumed it was prepared after the angels fell. It is part of Heaven sectioned off? Luke 16:26 And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.'

Wherever Hell is it is visible from Heaven and communication can take place between the sheep and the goats.

Hell is empty at the moment. The beast and the false prophet are first in residence, Rev 19:20, with the Devil following, Rev 20:10.
    So Jesus couldn't have gone to Hell to release the captives because it was empty. The word Hell is ambiguous, it can mean the grave.

Hello Joseph M. Smith.

It isn't an assumption to believe God's word, or if it is then it's the only assumption to make man.

Hello JA. :cool:

I don't believe Hell can be located in such a way.

john.

10. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

You are aware, I assume that there are 4 interpretations of this passage? One of them is that this refers to the Spirit of Christ preaching through Noah before the Flood. You can't reasonably use a disputed passage to say Jesus went to hell.

Jesus told the thief that that day he (the thief) would be in paradise with Jesus.

"Hell" in Rev. 20 refers to the grave. The Lake of Fire is what we usually mean by hell, as in eternal punishment.

11. Carolyn Dee

Carolyn Dee New Member

Thank you all for your input. All food for thought. I think it is safe to say that "hell" (lake of fire, etc) was created "in the beginning" for the devil and his angels before man.:flower:

12. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Marcia, I just saw your reponse and apologize for my use of the word hell. In my reference, I used hell as the place where lost souls reside or "spirits in prison". EDIT: You appear to be of the belief that all souls who died before the coming of Christ were held in the grave etc.... I can respect that.

Which brings up good discussion, since we Baptist don't believe in Purgatory, where are the dead souls that are waiting on the Judgment and the resurrection?

Some say they are waiting in the grave, some the bosom of Abraham (as in the rich man and Lazarus). I hope you don't mind me using this trhread but this is similar. Thoughts?

#12 LeBuick, Jun 12, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2006
  13. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Hello LeBuick.

2 Peter 2:9 9 ...and to hold the unrighteous for the day of judgment, while continuing their punishment.

The reprobate is suffering Hell now in all but flesh, come the resurrection they will receive their bodies back so they can suffer as men.

The saved are waiting in Heaven where ...the spirits of righteous men made perfect... (Heb 12:23) are waiting for their bodies back.

john.

14. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Hello, Lebuick,
    Thanks for your post and thoughts. I agree with what johnp says in response to your questions here. Only our bodies are in the grave - the immaterial self is conscious, either suffering somewhere (as described in Luke 16) if the person is lost or is with Christ if saved.

15. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jarthur001

Eph. 4 isn't saying Jesus went into hell. Just look as the context. It is saying that God (Jesus) descended from heaven to the earth, made a great victory, and gave gifts to men (filled the church with those who would lead it) as He ascended once again into heaven.

The context of the passage is on the unity of the church with Christ as its head, not that Jesus went into hell. The "lower parts of the earth" simply demonstrate God coming from heaven to the earth. (Why would He give gifts to men in hell?) Hell is not mentioned here.

peace to you:praise:

16. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Then I assume you can also understand why I said he went to hell. If only our bodies are in the grave, Peter said "preached unto the spirits in prison". If Jesus went to the grave as you said, he would have preached to decomposed flesh. The spirits are not in the grave.

I agree with you regarding the unsaved spirits are somewhere suffering and as described in Lk 16:23, "And in hell he lift up his eyes ...".

There are questions regarding the time frame of the parable in Luke 16. There are good arguments for this being post or pre resurrection.