1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

1. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

he commands us to Work out the salvation that has been put in us--means that which is on the inside --let it flow on the outside :)

2. Bronconagurski

Bronconagurski New Member

You verse text and think you prove something? The bible does not contradict itself, so your exegesis is totally wrong. That verse doesn't teach annihalation, but that death precludes one from participating in public praise of God.

The book of Psalms has much more to say about death and hell, and about Jesus in that regard, as does Peter. I don't have time to go there, but maybe later. I am behind in my P.T. I am disabled temporarily (I hope and pray) and need to exercise.

3. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

LOL i never said that teaches annihalation--the DEAD were resurrected at the resurrection :)

4. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

Praying for you.

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So were Moses/Elijah dead when they appeared to speak to Jesus?

You are as a Sadducee, they erred, not knowing that God is God of living, not dead!

Souls of the killed off saints in heaven before throne of God

Sinners in hell

people are alive, for the Body ONLY died, the spiritual aspect lives forever!

And the death of Jesus provided for physica body to be brought back to be glorified too!

6. Bronconagurski

Hiswitness

Originally Posted by HisWitness
    The SOUL that sinneth IT(Soul) shall DIE--the punishment of the old testament for sin through adam was DEATH.

Psalm 6-4: again In DEATH(when a person dies)there is NO remembrance.
    How can that be a true story when the rest of scriptures teach that the SOUL is dead and has no conscience(remembrance)in the grave ?

here again youll go against the teachings of the rest of the bible to prove 1 false assumption :)

Let's back up and let me ask you something to clear up where we both are coming from.

Do you believe that man was made dichotomous or trichotomous. In other words, is man body and soul/spirit being the same, or body, soul, and spirit all different?

Here is a link to an article on consiousness of the soul. http://bible.org/seriespage/consciousness-soul-after-death

My view is that upon first look it appears the bible supports dichot, but with a closer view, there are verses where the soul and spirit can not be interchangeable. Let me just say this is a very difficult subject.

What do you think?

#206 Bronconagurski, Jan 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2013
  7. Bronconagurski

Preshate it.

8. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    problem is that at times soul can refer to the life/physical body as he wants to always see it as being, but majority of time refers back tothe spirit/soul, spiritual aspect of humans, that is what actually communres/relates to god!

God is Sprit, and he made us in his image, and he relates/communes with us at the spiritualside of us!

9. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Bump.

10. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not a Primitive Baptist (PB) "no-heller" or a Universalist.

But I can play the roll of "devil's advocate".

As far as I know, these passages are not strictly from PB doctrine but Catholic teaching (I was born into a Roman Catholic home) and my presumption is that these would apply to a kind of PB Purgatory similar perhaps to no-heller doctrine.

Matthew 5
    25 Agree with thine adversary quickly, whiles thou art in the way with him; lest at any time the adversary deliver thee to the judge, and the judge deliver thee to the officer, and thou be cast into prison.
    26 Verily I say unto thee, Thou shalt by no means come out thence, till thou hast paid the uttermost farthing.​

1 Corinthians
    13 Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.
    14 If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.
    15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.​

Please go back and read the first 2 sentences of this response.​

HankD​

11. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

Whether the story of the rich man and Lazarus was a parable or not, the message conveyed in the story either way is that there is life after death and that there is torment after death.

The rich man was in torment after he died. If the passage is a parable, what message was Jesus trying to convey to the people other than a consciousness of surroundings, of past life, of present pain after death?

12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

It seems like someone is adding to the Word of God.

Psalms 6:5 For in death there is no remembrance of thee: in the grave who shall give thee thanks?
    --David is simply saying that when a man dies his chance on earth to praise and thank God is gone. He is now buried six feet under. He is speaking of this life. The opportunity to thank God; to praise and worship him is now. When death comes, that opportunity will be gone. He is not talking of the soul at all. Why are you adding to the Word of God, and taking Scripture out of context?

As for the story of the rich man and Lazarus, Jesus taught that there was communication between the two. He didn't just make up the name "Abraham" as a fictitious character and then lie about him. He was teaching truths. What were the truths taught?
    That hell is real.
    That the torment in hell is real.
    That the wicked will end up in a real place of torment called hell.

It doesn't matter whether you call it a parable or not. The truths being taught by Christ remain the same.