1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

1. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

I do respect you and this board--if you need to ban me from this board --then i will accept that and move on--but i have been stating from my studies so far on the subject--if that is so then maybe ill find out that it is true :) Also i have been called names,threatened in a fashion,and so forth,so if you need to ban me for breaking the rules--you have others to ban also if you are going to be fair on the matter :)

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Why don't you start a thread on the "death" of Lazarus.
    Yes, he did, in a sense. But the Bible states that Jesus was the "firstborn" of the resurrection. So his body was not raised (from the dead), permanently. He was already four days in the grave. What happened to his spirit at that time? How could his body be raised from the dead and Jesus still maintain the title of being the "firstborn" of those raised from the dead? Did Lazarus's spirit actually go down to hell? The Bible is silent. There are some things we cannot know for sure.

#82 DHK, Jan 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2013
  3. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

Dr. Bob, have you ever met a Primitive Baptist Universalist, otherwise known as no-hellers, as I believe someone else mentioned on this thread?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primitive_Baptist_Universalist

4. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

I don't know anything of a group called the Thomas Helwys Baptist Churches. My church is a small group of Baptists taking the name of our church from the founder of the first Baptist church on English soil, Thomas Helwys, and because I admire what he stood for so much, I took his name as my screen name. Surely you are not denying that Thomas Helwys, founder of the Baptists in England, was a Baptist! That Thomas Helwys certainly did not hold Church of Christ doctrines, as he was a General Baptist! To see such things as you have posted about Thomas Helwys is shocking, especially since you claim to be a Baptist!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Helwys

Tell me, are only Particular Baptists allowed on this forum? If so, I'll leave now.

#84 Thomas Helwys, Jan 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2013
  5. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

I am not a universalist, but I am a student of Christian history. Here is something that contradicts the contention that no one in the early church taught universalism:

"The early church from the time of the Apostles until the 4th century was primarily a Universalist church. Most of the church fathers during this period believed that all people will be saved. Over time, alternative doctrines about the fate of sinners grew more popular, such as annihilationism and eternal conscious torment. These doctrines were often held by Christians who could not read the New Testament in the original Greek language in which it was written, and who interpreted the Bible through the lens of barbaric forms of paganism. It is noteworthy that Irenaeus the Bishop of Lyons wrote a lengthy book called Against Heresies in the late 2nd century, which never once mentioned universal salvation as a heretical belief. This is because for the first few centuries of Christian history, Universalism prevailed as the mainstream understanding of the Gospel.

The greatest theological school of the Patristic era -- which directly descended from the Apostles themselves -- was called the Didascalium and was based in Alexandria, Egypt. It was founded by St. Pantaenus (d. ca. 216) in the year 190 C.E. Pantaenus, described by some of his students as "the Sicilian bee," was a Stoic philosopher who became a Christian missionary and traveled as far as India to spread the Gospel. He sought to reconcile the best of Greek philosophy with the radical new spiritual message of Jesus and the Apostles. He was martyred for his faith in Christ.

The Didascalium was the earliest catechetical school, and it played a very influential role in the development of Christian theology prior to the rise of the imperial Roman Church. The city of Alexandria was the center of learning and intellectual culture for the entire ancient world. This cosmopolitan metropolis was the meeting place of philosophers, theologians, writers, teachers and students of various belief systems, and during the first three centuries of Christian history it became the most important city in the Christian world. The Alexandria school of Christianity was thoroughly Universalist in its theology. One wonders how history would have been different had Alexandria remained the center of gravity of Christian thought instead of Rome, which developed a diametrically opposite theological system based on the teaching of eternal damnation."

6. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

well there i believe the Soul dies as i have stated in other posts--so that would be the reason he didnt tell of his time in death because he was DEAD :) no remembrance in DEATH--and when he was raised from the dead last thing he remembered was before he died :)

7. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

ummm his body came out of the grave wrapped up and they loosed him--so how are you saying his body was not raised--it was also confirmed he was really dead his body began to stink in corruption--

8. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

thank you for this post :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

9. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

Since I am new here, I have a question: I realize that this forum is controlled by fundamental Baptists, and that is the thrust of the doctrinal views here. But I have also read the Other Denominations forum and see a few who are not Baptists. So, I'll ask this: May more than one viewpoint be permitted here? In other words, can views be presented which are opposed to fundamental Baptist ones, or is this not allowed? I would like to know the answer to this before I go any further. If opposing views are not allowed to be presented, you don't have a true debate forum, you have a propaganda machine, which I am not interested in. I am interested in a debate forum where differing ideas can be presented, I seek an atmosphere of mutual learning, not indoctrination in only one viewpoint. As I said, that is not debate.

10. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

You are welcome.

I do not have an agenda to push. I am interested in correcting statements that are not historically objective. This is one such instance.

If all sides are not presented, how can you have true debate? How can you actually learn?

11. Bronconagurski

Bronconagurski New Member

If you tell lies, then expect to be called a liar. You have been caught in several. You have been dogmatic on your definition of aion, but now all of a sudden you are blaming your studies. Someone layed out your problem here, besides the untruths, so I will reiterate:

When you start an O.P. , if the views are not your own, then tells us that. Also tell us what you believe at this point. You don't do that. You throw out convaluted statements and if someone disagrees you start to obfuscate. You can't even be truthful when caught in a lie, but make excuses. Twice you were educated on the word aion, but proceeded to say it was not eternal. If you are in school, then you should have had a reference for that belief, but you did not. Because of your past posts and problems with the truth, I do not know whether to believe you about being in school or not.

Lastly, you are in school, you say, yet you act like you have all the answers. I know I am just a man and can be wrong, but my views come after being saved for longer than you have been alive, more than likely. So don't come in here playing your games. Say what you mean, and mean what you say.

12. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

true indeed

13. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

more bashing from you brother :) and then you say that you have been saved for longer than i have been alive lol

im here to learn friend-im not playing games--just because i come across in a different way than you expect people should be in your own concepts-sorry i cant be just like you :) God NEVER made 2 people axactly alike so why dont you be you and let me be me :)and watch that anger brother :) JK

14. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

brother that word aion goes further than you think it does :)

15. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

but im not gonna tire my fingers in posting on it because you will reject it anyway and hold to your tradition :)

16. Bronconagurski

Yes, but you were referring to hiwwitness' belief, not any of the church fathers, and hiswitness has never denied still believing in universalism. I wanted to see if you would, so thanks for your reply in that regard. One shouldn't have to drag out of someone what they believe. I agree that some of the church fathers had heretical views of some things.

So, you see yourself as a historian, ready to correct anything you deem incorrect?

17. Bronconagurski

See, there is where you are wrong. My views are built on scholarship and study. Try it, you might learn something.

18. Bronconagurski

Mighty convenient for your hero to show up when you were getting caught in all those lies. Yep, makes one think something is amiss here. Kind of like a diversion. JMHO

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The Baptist forums are reserved for Baptists only. I am a fundamentalist, but most of the posters that I see are from the SBC which is not a fundamental denomination though many of them have a conservative theology. There is intense debate here on many subjects such as Calvinism vs. Arminianism, and other topics that arise within the Baptist faith.

You may feel more at home posting in the non-Baptist forums, such as the Other Christian Denomination forum, where your views will be more tolerated, as they are not typically Baptist in nature. There are still Baptists that post there, along with some others.

20. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

No, just ready to present all sides. How can one be a historian and not do that?