1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hello from a Southern Baptist in the North!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Joshua2415, May 28, 2009.

1. Joshua2415

Joshua2415 New Member

Hello all,

I've been lurking around the boards for about a year now, and have decided to join the discussions finally. I'm a Southern Baptist born and raised in Paducah, Kentucky who relocated up north for a career, and now live in Madison, Wisconsin.

My first anniversary for my marriage is coming up May 31, so praise God for a happy marriage.

I like to be involved in the music ministry at my church, singing in the choir or praise band, and doing solos if allowed.

I'm still doing a bit of soul searching on exactly what I believe, and especially where I want to go to church. The Southern Baptist churches up here exist but they're small and few.

I am not formally educated in theology (my education is actually in computer science) but I enjoy discussing the deeper and finer points of Christian theology, as well as how scientific knowledge fits into it all. Look for me on the debate forums soon!

God bless you all, and I look forward to growing spiritually as part of my experience here.

--Joshua2415

2. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

Welcome on board from another exiled Kentuckian -- grew up in Louisville, lived in Berea and Lexington -- but for 38 years in Maryland. I hope you will consider other Baptist expressions of faith. A friend of mine was for a number of years pastor of First Baptist Church of Madison; he too was raised Southern Baptist, but found great joy in serving this American Baptist congregation. I am sure there are others that would welcome you, and particularly since you are in a university town and are interested in science, there must be churches where that is valued.

I'm sure I do not need to teach a computer person how to Google the Baptist churches in your area!!

3. billreber

billreber New Member

Great to see you here! I, too, am a Southern Baptist, and I totally agree with Joseph - check out the other Baptist churches. While we may not agree with everything they might teach, we believe in most!

I was stationed at a USAF radar site in northern Minnesota 30+ years ago, and my family attended an Evangelical Covenant church there. The pastor was Southern Baptist trained, and we had a wonderful time there. I am looking forward to seeing my friends from that church (and many others) when we all go HOME to heaven!

Bill

4. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Hey Josh, welcome aboard!

Folks, I have known Joshua2415 since he was born. His father is also a Baptist Board member (and fellow deacon); and his mother is a long-tme faithful servant of God in our church. And so is his grandmother.

Josh is a talented young brother with a keen interest in spiritual things.

Josh, the water gets a little hot here on occasion, but your mind will be stimulated.

Again, welcome.

5. Joshua2415

Joshua2415 New Member

Thanks for the greetings everyone. Hello Tom, nice to see you on here! :godisgood:

6. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Oops, I just noticed that you joined the board in 2006, so you have been lurking a while. So you're not a newbie, but with fewer than 10 posts it still makes you eligible for a welcome. The secret handshake comes later.

7. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Welcome to the board!

8. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Welcome aboard!! :wavey:

9. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Joined in 2006 and introducing yourself now. Don't ya think that'sw just a little bit aggressive? :laugh: Anyhow welcome from the Great Pacific Northwest.:wavey: