1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hello, new here

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by drivenfuture, Nov 11, 2019.

1. drivenfuture

drivenfuture Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello all.

Looking for a place to post generally speaking.
    Also fairly new to reformed baptist - Calvinist...been attending that denomination for about a year or so now.

I was looking for a forum to hopefully get some insight to a church situation with my previous church...idk if it's appropriate to share in the introduction page...so perhaps I'll make a 2nd post once I figure out how to navigate the site.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Welcome to the Baptist Board!

3. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Welcome to the board. Nice to have another Reformed Baptist around.

4. drivenfuture

drivenfuture Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Am I? lol I've been attending the church...I wouldn't necessarily I agree on every point they make...I take all things under consideration. In particular predestination and election are pretty new concepts to me...I do see the passage in Romans that days those whom are called are predestined, etc...but I still haven't been given a solid answer as to the DEFINITION of elect and predestination scripturally. I have searched long on this top but haven't come to a conclusive decision. On one youtube video I came across a guy who said freewill is mentioned 17 times in the Bible--the problem is that all of these verses are specifically about tithing (yea, let that one sink in prosperity teachers lol).
    My biggest argument against reformed theology is the advocating of capital punishment for abortionists (and really just cap punishment in general). I do agree if we want to say those people deserve the wrath of God, but to me advocating for capital punishment seems like eye for and eye tooth for a tooth mentality. This is because in the 10 Commandments, the Hebrew word for kill/murder is retshach, meaning killing those who had followed the law/innocent blood--but keep in mind this was the first law...and nobody followed the law perfectly...so there would be no such thing as killing of innocent blood, as all men are guilty, up until Jesus. So it would seem that these 10 commandments are more about pointing us to our need for a Savior and pointing us to the only innocent man..Jesus Christ.
    Keep in mind if we went by notion of capital punishment, the apostle Paul could have been killed at any point by any professing Christian and, in that context, would have been just. To me it seems mercy is better than sacrifice.

5. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Cap punishment has nothing to do with Reformed Theology, that would be specific sections of those who are of the Reformed tradition. Feel free to PM me. Things get ugly with this topic on this board.

6. drivenfuture

drivenfuture Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK...just seems as if almost every Calvinist I've spoken to supports it, including their main leaders, thats all. I've put my feelings aside for this for the sake of being in a church that uses expositional teaching as opposed to personal testimony.

7. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not saying they don't support it, it just has nothing to do with Reformed Theology. Like I said, PM me if you want to talk about the Calvinism debate so it doesn't get hijacked by others.

8. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello, driven, welcome to the Baptist Board. Hope it is a blessing to you.

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just curious - how did your username come about

• Like Like x 1
  10. drivenfuture

drivenfuture Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    lol, on most other forums since the AOL Dial Up days I had a username that just generally confused people or was hard to remember...I figured this would be a nice change of pace...no real reason behind the name tho, other than trying to be motivated to be better in the future generally speaking.

11. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Welcome to the Baptist Board... Brother Glen:)

12. drivenfuture

drivenfuture Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have grown fond of Tyndale for his fondness of learning other languages...much respect...though I don't know much about what he believed other than anti-Catholic & anti-Pope lol.

13. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well you've gone from the frying pan into the fire... Tyndale according to history is responsible for the translation that we all know as the King James Version of the Bible in English... Before he was martyred and burned at the stake, it is reported he said "God, open the eyes of the King Of England" and he did... Of course there are many, many, many translations of the Bible, but I use only one the KJV, that's for me... That is a bone of contention on here as you will see... There are also many views and perspectives according to scripture, my advise is consider what each has to say and come to your own understanding that satisfies you, until you come to a different understanding, if you do... All I can say is button your seat belt, and get ready this could turn into a life changing wild ride... Brother Glen:D

14. drivenfuture

drivenfuture Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    lol...well theologically speaking, it seems as though Scriptural understanding in a way that satisfies us doesn't seem to ring true of the original Gospels or epistles...it seems as though every disciple and apostle had a pretty clear understanding of the message they were presenting; and seemed to be aware of falsehood creeping it's way into the church--otherwise Paul would have no reason to rebuke, say, Corinth, for immorality, but we know that Corinth was wrong on some matters, and as such, we should be aware that, while perhaps we will never get it 100% right...there are certainly truths which we cannot ignore and heresies we cannot adhere to. One such example is the phrase "God loves me just the way I am," which is not only not biblical, but anti-biblical to the Scripture that says grace is not licentiousness (a license) to sin. As such, saying having a understanding which satisfies "me" can actually be damaging, especially if I have poor understanding that still perhaps yet satisfies. Perhaps, in some ways, Scripture may not satisfy me, but be beneficial..such as a convicting or correcting message; if at least it be Scriptural.

• Like Like x 1