1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

hello! newbie around here

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Su Wei, Feb 14, 2003.

1. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi all!
    I'm an IFB serving in the music ministry of my church here in Singapore.

Hoping to make contact with others out there who are like us.
    We are a hymns church and several of us (about 12 of us) serve God in a little orchestra. we play for worship service every Sunday). Violins, cellos, clarinet, flutes, horn, piano....

We got some sheet music from Soundforth last year (good stuff! God bless their ministry!). Haven't exhausted that supply yet. [​IMG]

ANybody out there?
    Anyone interested in starting an orchestra?

2. Pete

Pete New Member

G'day and welcome Su Wei [​IMG]

I have not even heard your orchestra yet but like the sound of it already [​IMG]

Are you planning on recording?

May God bless you & all involved.

Pete

3. baptistteacher

Site Supporter

Hi Su Wei!

I have been serving as Music Minister for many years, in IFB churches. Have not had the priviledge of having an orchestra yet, but did have a flautist (that's flute-player) for a while who helped accompany the congregational siniging, and played solos from time to time. It was Great!!

Welcome to The Baptist Board!!

4. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you, bro. Pete.

We like to think we sound good too (and we do try), but GOd is the judge here..... ;)

We started with a bunch of willing hearts: some willing to learn, and some willing to teach.

We did an "unprofessional" recording recently as a gift for our missionary family, just to encourage them while they're away from our fellowship. [​IMG]

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our church uses Word's hymnal "Hymns for Worship and Celebration" and it has full orchestration books. Our ensemble only plays one Sunday a month, but includes both an oboe and trumpet player from the Wyoming Symphony, and our pianist from the Chorale.

Add to that mostly young people (violin, cello, flute, etc) and it is a blessing to hear! And a great contrast to the guitar and keyboard sound of the worship team.

I'd opt for the ensemble every week! :cool:

6. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    well, our orchestra has been playing together more than 6 years now, some leave, more join.

We grow by accepting people who don't know how to play but are willing to learn. They learn how to play the instrument, slowly sit in for rehersals on Saturday afternoons, and after afew months, they join in worship on Sundays with one or two well practiced hymns.

That's how we grew.

No real professionals here. But there are afew who have gone through formal music instruction.

We use a regular hymnal. Our transposing instruments (the clarinet and the Eb horn) are excellent at mental acrobatics. [​IMG]
    (Now they find it difficult to read regular notes when we play specials that are written for their pitch! [​IMG] )

btw, i play the piano but in the orchestra, i play the bass line on the cello. I love my cello!
    Any cellists out there??!?!

7. Pete

Pete New Member

I'm a guitar player and would probably agree with you Dr Bob [​IMG] How does the guitarist play and what sort of music do you have mate? I find when playing hymns I mainly use my acoustic and try to pick as much of the melody through the chords as I can.

It seems that the Church is suffering two great musical losses at the same time. The loss of melody from our songs, and the loss of REAL organists (note, real organ, not keyboard) from our musicians.

Su Wei, I know absolutely nothing about music...That's why I am a guitar player ;) I know a few tricks within some chords on guitar, and when I set my mind to it I can pick up a melody by ear. If I am ever in Singapore may I sit in with the orchestra? [​IMG] I promise not to crash my guitar against the amp, set it on fire or engage in any similar activity [​IMG]

Pete

8. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    er... i'll make it a point to tell our ushers to gently REMOVE the electric guit from the visitor who looks like he may be AUSTRALIAN.... :eek:

[​IMG]

other than that, most welcome to join us at Maranatha Baptist church if you ever drop by!

well, i find it hard to believe, bro. pete, that you can do chords, and a melody and don't know music. :rolleyes:

guitars are, on the most part, a rhythm instrument. so it is easy to get out of hand if not checked.

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Guitars and "heavy" hymns (not the lighter Gospel song kinda hymns) are really not very compatible.

Try "A Mighty Fortress" or "Lift High the Cross" on a regular folk/rhythm guitar and it is tough. But "At Calvary" or "How Great Thou Art" lend themselves to that instrument.

I play the guitar and the concert string bass, but not at church. Teaching SS, then Preaching 45-50 minutes and I am worn out and sweat-soaked WITHOUT doing the music too! :rolleyes:

10. Pete

Pete New Member

Su Wei, if I ever get in the neighbourhood I'll make sure to just bring my acoustic so I don't go getting all carried away ;)

There is no doubt about me looking Australian [​IMG] If you ever see an Akubra Cattleman enter the Church worn by a bloke that looks like a cross between King Kong Bundy and the guys from ZZ Top, that'ld probably be me ;)

Sad but true, I can hardly read a note of music. I have taught myself a few melodies on the guitar by sitting down with it and hitting notes until I find the right one. Some of the ones I have found this way are Slane (Be Thou My Vision), Hyfrydol (I Will Sing The Wondrous Story/Come Thou Long Expected Jesus/a dozen more take your pick), Aberystwyth (Jesus Lover Of My Soul).

When playing chords there are a handful of hymns and other songs I can do from memory, most of the time I have to have the book handy to make sure I get it right though...heh heh and even that is no guarantee ;)

Great idea there Dr Bob, I would probably have chords for A Mighty Fortress around here somewhere, will have to give it a go. I think it would be one of the "finger-breaking chord on just about every beat specials" like Aberystwyth (Jesus Lover Of My Soul) and Lauda Anima (Praise My Soul The King Of Heaven). I love the challenge of trying to get as close as I can to the way these great pieces of music should sound with only 6 little strings...I pray one day I might even be able to do it [​IMG]

Pete

11. Pete

Pete New Member

12. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry, but now i'm stuck with this vision of a gorilla coming through the doors of our church. :eek:

[​IMG]

13. Pete

Pete New Member

Yep [​IMG] That would be about right :D

Pete