1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

HELP! ASAP! Funeral tomorrow - NO music.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Scarlett O., Mar 19, 2011.

1. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    A dear friend passed away yesterday. Her step-son - who is just about the only family that she had facebooked me yesterday and said that she wanted me to play.

Tonight at the wake, he said that she had requested some specific songs and would facebook me again later as he did not have the list with him.

One of them I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF!

She want this song sung by either myself or the minister of music.

"The Lord Has Been So Good To Me" She told her stepson that this was sung all of time in her Primitive Baptist Church when she was young.

I just got the message and cannot find it.

Does ANYBODY know this song and where I can find it?

2. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's a southern gospel song. My dh knows it. Let me see if he can find anything for you.

3. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

Just sent you a PM with a link

4. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, thank you so much for the Youtube link! I looked there but couldn't find it. :tonofbricks:

If I can get the lyrics copied down, I can fake the piano part. Her stepson said that she wanted the first verse sang with no piano like her memories of her childhood church with her grandmother.

THANK YOU!!

5. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

no problem......
    I hope the lord blesses you as you try to fulfill the wishes of this family....

6. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think have a solution.

I just got off the phone with my minister of music. He found sample song not on Youtube, but it's the same ladies singing.

We panicked together on the phone for about 3 minutes, and then he asked if I thought it would offend the stepson if he just ripped it off the net and played it over the audio at the funeral. I think he will totallly be NOT offended.

He's going to call him.

7. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Oh, Scarlett!!! Scarlett!! Scarlett!!

You got yourself between a rock and a hard place!!!

I've been there plenty of times----funeralizing!!!! Know what I mean??? Except here's what happens on my end

A church member calls and says

"My Great Uncle on my Mommas side passed-----and he didn't have a church or a preacher----can you come do his funeral????"

And I don't know Great Uncle Billy from Cousin Bobby or Cousin Sam!!!

:BangHead::BangHead:

8. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know exactly what you mean even though you are a preacher and I am a church pianist. You and I both do what we do as a calling from the Lord, but some people will always view us commodity - to be bought, sold, bartered with, and "utizilized".

Just like "we need flowers for the wedding" and "where's the unity candle?" ....

.... it's "we need a preacher for the service" and "where's that pianist"?

You and I are in the same boat and viewed just about as animate as the punch bowl and the casket. :laugh:

That's Scarlett O's take from over 30 years of playing for funerals, weddings, birthday parties, and children's events. :flower:

And if the Lord gives me another 30 years of ability I'm gonna KEEP ON PLAYIN'!!! [​IMG]

#8 Scarlett O., Mar 21, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  9. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, but usually they give the minister an honorarium for his time. Often my dh will receive a little something for preaching a funeral, but if I sing or play the piano, it doesn't matter if it's for a wedding or a funeral, I'm completely ignored as a freebie.:saint:

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We give out a paper for all weddings with the cost of the church ($250 for the custodian and supplies) and then suggestions for gifts to the others including the musicians. We don't do that for funerals but if they ask, we suggest a donation to the musicians and sound person.