1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

help, kids messed up the computer

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by menageriekeeper, Jan 8, 2007.

1. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Thanks for the info, Jamie! :wavey:

I've only tried using it on WinNT/2k/2k3 servers that have had problems, and I don't think it's ever worked for me. Good information to know. :)

2. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Sorry nothing worked out.

As far as taking it to a repair guy, unless he works for cheap or he is a friend that will work for free, I wouldn't carry it there, or course, unless there is somethign worth saving on the computer, then it's always worth the price. :)

If nothing is worth saving, and they just want a computer, why not have them go buy a copy of Windows, and then install it themselves from scratch.

During the install, they can reformat the drive, (it will prompt you) and then will install Windows with everything set as default.

If they know the computer is good, and it's worth the time and effort, I would go that route.

If they want to try before they buy, if you know someone with a Windows disk, they could reinstall it with their disk, and if the computer works after everything installs, they can then go buy a copy and reinstall it. That way they will know the computer is good before spending the money of a copy of windows.

Again, sorry it didn't work out.

Jamie

3. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

nevermind.........

Let me edit again.

That's not a bad idea Jamie. Let me see if I can find a copy. The original installation info seems to be on this little sticker on the tower, which is now at my house. I'm going to hook it up with one of our set ups just in case this is a moniter problem of some sort. (this I doubt very much but, I've had instance when my moniter wasn't syncing correctly and I got a black screen instead of a logon screen. I have a different setup though and more than one box uses the same moniter/keyboard. We blame the switcher when that happens) There is nothing valuable on the machine.

Now, I've never installed windows my own self and only semi watched my husband while he did it. Is it fairly self explanatory?

#23 menageriekeeper, Jan 9, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2007
  4. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Yes, as long as it boots to the CD, it should be a fairly straight forward process.

Jamie

5. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Success! I'm not done yet, but things are much better.

First off, hooking up to one of my moniters did the trick and Windows came right up. Don't know if they have a moniter problem or just a cable problem. I did notice that their cable was missing a couple of pins from each end, sooo, we'll try a new cable before we worry about the moniter.

Then finding and changing the DPI like ccrobinson suggested took care of most of the font problems. There are still a few things to clean up and I probably should attempt to find what happened to some of the desktop icons. The machine is back to working though.

Thanks for all your help, cause I couldn't have gotten this far without you!

Now, how to I set up an administer and lock up these settings so the kids can't get back into them?

6. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

7. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

No doubt. :BangHead:

I recommend a group approach to security. Create accounts for the kids and place them in the group called "Users". Create an account for the parents and place that account in the "Administrators" group. The Users group won't have the necessary permissions to modify the Display Properties, among other things they won't be able to do, and the Administrators group will have full permissions over everything on the computer.