1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Help me find this verse?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Sopranette, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Where in the Bible does it talk about how people would much rather hear pleasant, peaceful promises, and not warnings? I've been looking all over. Thanks!

love,

Sopranette

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe this one?

Jeremiah 6:14 (King James Version)

14 They have healed also the hurt of the daughter of my people slightly, saying, Peace, peace; when there is no peace.

3. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Perhaps you're referring to the passage in 2 Timothy 4:3-4 --

"For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables." (KJV)

4. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Yes! Thank you both. But there is one more I remember, where it says false speakers will not condemn, but only say things that are sweet and light (but empty.)

love,

Sopranette

5. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Thus saith the LORD of hosts, Hearken not unto the words of the prophets that prophesy unto you: they make you vain: they speak a vision of their own heart, not out of the mouth of the LORD.

They say still unto them that despise me, The LORD hath said, Ye shall have peace; and they say unto every one that walketh after the imagination of his own heart, No evil shall come upon you.

Jer 23:16-17 Maybe

6. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Yes! Thank you, Niteshift! :wavey:

love,

Sopranette

7. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Jeremiah 50:6
    6My people hath been lost sheep: their shepherds have caused them to go astray, they have turned them away on the mountains: they have gone from mountain to hill, they have forgotten their restingplace.

Isaiah 56:11&12
    11Yea, they are greedy dogs which can never have enough, and they are shepherds that cannot understand: they all look to their own way, every one for his gain, from his quarter.
    12Come ye, say they, I will fetch wine, and we will fill ourselves with strong drink; and to morrow shall be as this day, and much more abundant.

#7 Palatka51, Feb 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2008
  8. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Just happened to be reading Jeremiah this month. Glad I could help

9. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Ezekiel 34:1-10
    1And the word of the LORD came unto me, saying,
    2Son of man, prophesy against the shepherds of Israel, prophesy, and say unto them, Thus saith the Lord GOD unto the shepherds; Woe be to the shepherds of Israel that do feed themselves! should not the shepherds feed the flocks?
    3Ye eat the fat, and ye clothe you with the wool, ye kill them that are fed: but ye feed not the flock.
    4The diseased have ye not strengthened, neither have ye healed that which was sick, neither have ye bound up that which was broken, neither have ye brought again that which was driven away, neither have ye sought that which was lost; but with force and with cruelty have ye ruled them.
    5And they were scattered, because there is no shepherd: and they became meat to all the beasts of the field, when they were scattered.
    6My sheep wandered through all the mountains, and upon every high hill: yea, my flock was scattered upon all the face of the earth, and none did search or seek after them.

7Therefore, ye shepherds, hear the word of the LORD;
    8As I live, saith the Lord GOD, surely because my flock became a prey, and my flock became meat to every beast of the field, because there was no shepherd, neither did my shepherds search for my flock, but the shepherds fed themselves, and fed not my flock;
    9Therefore, O ye shepherds, hear the word of the LORD;
    10Thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I am against the shepherds; and I will require my flock at their hand, and cause them to cease from feeding the flock; neither shall the shepherds feed themselves any more; for I will deliver my flock from their mouth, that they may not be meat for them.

Maybe verses 5&6 indicate that the people are looking for a preferred doctrine, however the context is that the shepherds are to blame for their wanderings.

10. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Looks like NiteShift nailed it.