1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Help me with some other questions:)

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Koontzy, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Koontzy

Koontzy New Member

Ok so heres the short story... In november i got laid off, and where I live there arent a huge amount of job available, so voila... I collect unemployment, and attend a secular university(USC Salk) which is in a small town in south carolina... I am applying for jobs every week, but have yet to get an offer, since most arent really hiring... since I go to college I have used my federal financial aid for the current semester and the one last fall, and I think I have used it up.... I also get my GI bill which helps with some bills, and since I am married, I am hoping to get a job before the end of this semester... One good thing though is that being laid off has brought me alot closer to my Lord, and my family.....

question is I want to apply at a Baptist college by the time for summer, but how would I pay for it? will the college help me get loans or student aid?

which colleges are great with distance education(ONLINE OR THROUGH MAIL)

thanks

thanks

2. Broadus

Broadus Member

Greeting from upstate SC.

One of the best alternatives is Luther Rice University, in Lithonia, Georgia. I'm not sure about financial aid, but it's worth exploring. It's not cheap, but beware of "cheap" programs. They are usually not worth the time and money you do put into them. Places such as Andersonville, Covington, and Bethany may look attractive, but you will end up with a degree which did not challenge you and will be widely unrecognized.

Also, you can take courses through Baptist Bible College in Springfield, Missouri. You cannot do your entire undergrad degree through them, but I think you can get a substantial amount done.

Hope you the best.

Bill

3. North Carolina Tentmaker

Koontzy:

Where are you living, SC or IN? And do you want to relocate. Your profile says your SBC and live in Indiana, but you said you were going to school in SC.

If you want to stay in SC to attend school I would recommend you check out CIU in Columbia. There are always lots of jobs in Columbia. CIU is not cheap but I am sure they have aid and work scholarship deals.

4. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I second this. :thumbs:

5. Koontzy

Koontzy New Member

thanks guys:) and I decided to go with Luther Rice.... My father-in-law whos the pastor of my church recommended it also, plus some of my favorit pastors have degrees from them.... they would be
    Charles Stanley, Jerry Vines

6. Siberian

Siberian New Member

Lru

Good call. I'm taking/have taken several grad courses with Luther Rice Seminary (about 30 credits worth), and I think that it is pretty good, and getting better. Their regular faculty is pretty strong, especially Mapes in Theology & Apologetics.

Financial aid and receiving G.I. Bill benifits should not be a problem, since LRU is accredited through TRACS, and that puts it on all the right government lists.

7. Koontzy

Koontzy New Member

yeah I was looking mainly at Luther or Liberty and went with Luther rice, I am hoping to get my BAR there and then go for my masters degreee at either SBTS or DTS

thanks

8. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Make sure that SBTS or DTS, which you have in mind, will take your LR BAR.

Call up SBTS and DTS and find out this for sure. LR is Tracs, but they are RA.

9. Koontzy

Koontzy New Member

I talk to the admissions at DTS, and they said they definatley accept it, and the guy there said that most Luther Rice students, excel in the Masters programs:), he gave me thumbs up for attending Luther Rice.....

I think God might be telling me something:)

I emailed SBTA, but havent heard back yet

10. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

That's great! I'm really happy for you that DTS would take LR BAR, despite it being TRACS.

11. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most places don't get overly snobby until you try to come with a master's in-hand.

12. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I wonder why?