1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Help me with this one....resisting vs. "binding" Satan

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Beth, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Beth

Beth New Member

I have a wonderful sister in our congregation who tells me that she begins each day with her children by praying to "bind" Satan from their home.

I do not believe that is correct theology.

I want to write her something which would benefit her, and desire your help finetuning it.

Here is what I thought to send her...please add suggestions/revisions to this, if you are led by the Lord to do so.

Thank you!!

What was bound Biblically in the Bible?

What can we bind today?

You could bind yourself to a vow.

Nu 30:3 If a woman also vow a vow unto the LORD, and bind herself by a bond, being in her father’s house in her youth;

The Israelites would bind a copy of the commandments to their forehead.

De 6:8 And thou shalt bind them for a sign upon thine hand, and they shall be as frontlets between thine eyes.

The Philistines wished to bind Samson.

Jud 15:10 And the men of Judah said, Why are ye come up against us? And they answered, To bind Samson are we come up, to do to him as he hath done to us.

Joseph was given authority to govern Egypt

Ps. 105:21 He made him lord of his house, and ruler of all his substance:
    22 To bind his princes at his pleasure; and teach his senators wisdom.

At the Lord's Return, when He returns with the saints to judge the wicked, they all will bind the wicked.

Ps. 149:2 Let Israel rejoice in him that made him: let the children of Zion be joyful in their King.
    3 Let them praise his name in the dance: let them sing praises unto him with the timbrel and harp.
    4 For the LORD taketh pleasure in his people: he will beautify the meek with salvation.
    5 Let the saints be joyful in glory: let them sing aloud upon their beds.
    6 ¶ Let the high praises of God be in their mouth, and a twoedged sword in their hand;
    7 To execute vengeance upon the heathen, and punishments upon the people;
    8 To bind their kings with chains, and their nobles with fetters of iron;
    9 To execute upon them the judgment written: this honour have all his saints. Praise ye the LORD.

Christ is foretold as binding up the brokenhearted as His Work of Salvation.

Isaiah 61:Isa 61:1 The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound;

The Lord shall save Israel.

Ho 6:1 Come, and let us return unto the LORD: for he hath torn, and he will heal us; he hath smitten, and he will bind us up.

Christ disputing with Pharisees that His power to expell demons came from Satan himself.

Mt 12:29 Or else how can one enter into a strong man’s house, and spoil his goods, except he first bind the strong man? and then he will spoil his house.

The wicked shall be bound together/gathered together before Christ's return for judgment.

Mt 13:30 Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.

The following two verses speak of binding and loosing believers, not demons. The first speaks of binding in terms of salvation....whatever is bound on earth is bound in Heaven, and vice versa. The second comes in the context of disfellowship over unrepentant sin.

Mt 16:19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
    Mt 18:18 Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

People with infirmities were said to be bound by Satan.

Lu 13:16 And ought not this woman, being a daughter of Abraham, whom Satan hath bound, lo, these eighteen years, be loosed from this bond on the sabbath day?

Men and women are bound to each other in marriage.

Ro 7:2 For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband.

The Word of God is not bound.

2 Timothy 2:9 Wherein I suffer trouble, as an evil doer, even unto bonds; but the word of God is not bound.

Satan will be bound a thousand years.

Re 20:2 And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years,

What can we do or say directly, to Satan?

We can resist him.

436 anyisthmi anthistemi anth-is’-tay-mee

from 473 and 2476; ; v

AV-resist 9, withstand 5; 14

1) to set one’s self against, to withstand, resist, oppose
    2) to set against

Jas 4:7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

What resisting Satan means is found in two other passages....

Eph 6:13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand <436> in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

The context: 10 ¶ Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.
    11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
    12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
    13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
    14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
    15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
    16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.

Our weapons against Satan? Knowing our Bible very, very well (Truth), being given His Righteousness through the Holy Spirit, witnessing/spreading the gospel and having faith in God.

1Pe 5:9 Whom resist <436> stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world.

In context: Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble.
    6 Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time:
    7 Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.
    8 ¶ Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:
    9 Whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world.

Satan looks to devour us, but we can resist/withstand him by being steady in the faith.

So, while I do not believe the Bible specifically states we bind Satan from us, we can indeed withstand him by continuing fervently in our Christian walk!

What do you think?

What Scriptures were you using to base binding Satan on?

2. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

I have heard people do this too, and it has always bothered me.

It's praying to Satan (and we bind you, Satan, in Jesus name...) I cannot stand to hear him addressed in prayer.

Maybe her intention is to ask God to keep her family protected from evil. Maybe she just hasnt thought about it from that standpoint, or is just doing what was modeled for her in some way.

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Seems like this prayer would be sufficient.

Mat 6:13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

4. Beth

Beth New Member

I agree

I agree with you both.

5. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Is Satan omnipresent? We have given Satan the attributes of God.

I don't have time to worry about Satan, I have enough problems with my own heart:

Jam 1:13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:
    Jam 1:14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.

6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From what is written I would assume that this lady:

1)Believes the Scriptures and understands that all Christians have authority over the Devil in Jesus' name,

2)Understands that the enemy is actively seeking whom he may devour,

3)And daily asks for protection.

A good lady.

7. Isaiah40:28

Isaiah40:28 New Member

That was my thought as well.

8. Beth

Beth New Member

I disagree

I do not believe that Scripture supports the concept of us having authority over Satan right now, even in Jesus' Name.

This is why:

Paul states that Satan hindered him at one point...

1Th 2:18 Wherefore we would have come unto you, even I Paul, once and again; but Satan hindered us.

God allowed Satan to throw some believers in prison.

Rev. 2:9 I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan.
    10 Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life.

God did not remove the trial which befell Paul, a trial which Paul attributed to Satan.

2Co 12:7 And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.

We do not put Satan under our feet...Jesus will do that.

Ro 16:20 And the God of peace shall bruise Satan under your feet shortly. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Amen.

Just as in the case of Job, Satan asked to sift Peter....while we do not have authority over Satan, God is the only one who permits Satan to do anything....even to believers.

Luke 22:31 And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat:
    32 But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.
    33 And he said unto him, Lord, I am ready to go with thee, both into prison, and to death.

Believers will suffer martyrdom at the hands of the dragon during the Tribulation.

Rev. 12:17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

I know that Scripture records that Jesus gave the disciples authority over demons when He sent these followers out into the towns of Israel.

Lu 9:1 Then he called his twelve disciples together, and gave them power and authority over all devils, and to cure diseases.

The above does not extend to Satan himself.

So, I just can't agree that we have any power or authority over Satan, nor that we can even bind him. If this were the case, surely Paul would have bound Satan from hindering him, or the believers in Revelation would have bound him when he tried to put them in prison for ten days....

9. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Have you read of the wilderness temptations of Jesus by the devil???

Interesting that nowhere in the 40 day ordeal does Jesus "bind" satan---it simply says that with every temptation from the devil---came resistance by Jesus----how did Jesus resist?? With the Word of Scripture

When the 40 day ordeal was over---the Scripture simply says that satan left----he just walked away---no handcuffs, no ropes!!! He just left

Interesting though-----when Judas confronted Jesus in the Garden---they "bound" Jesus and led Him away

10. Beth

Beth New Member

Thank you

Blackbird, thank you! If Christ is our example, surely His response to Satan is our own model.

11. AAA

AAA New Member

Was Jesus praying to satan when He spoke to satan during His temptation? If Jesus is our example, then it would seem that we should rebuke satan also and that is NOT the same thing as praying to satan...Jesus did NOT teach us to pray to him, but the Father who is in heaven.

BTW...Why do you call yourself "Tatertot"?...The only "Tater"s and or "Tatertot"s that I know have the last name of "TATE"...

12. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

James 4:1 From whence come wars and fightings among you? come they not hence, even of your lusts that war in your members? {fightings: or, brawlings} {lusts: or, pleasures}

2 Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not.

3 Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts. {lusts: or, pleasures}

4 Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.

5 Do ye think that the scripture saith in vain, The spirit that dwelleth in us lusteth to envy? {to envy: or, enviously?}

6 But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.

7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

8 Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.

9 Be afflicted, and mourn, and weep: let your laughter be turned to mourning, and your joy to heaviness.

10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

11 Speak not evil one of another, brethren. He that speaketh evil of his brother, and judgeth his brother, speaketh evil of the law, and judgeth the law: but if thou judge the law, thou art not a doer of the law, but a judge.

12 There is one lawgiver, who is able to save and to destroy: who art thou that judgest another?

13 Go to now, ye that say, To day or to morrow we will go into such a city, and continue there a year, and buy and sell, and get gain:

14 Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away. {It...: or, For it is}

15 For that ye ought to say, If the Lord will, we shall live, and do this, or that.

16 But now ye rejoice in your boastings: all such rejoicing is evil.

17 Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.

13. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

AAA,
    He was talking to Satan face to face. And He was God. So He wasnt praying to him. I am talking about people I have heard, while praying, change gears and say something like:

"Father,.......and Satan, we bind you in the name of Jesus..."

Is that not praying to him?

And BTW, TaterTot is my clown name :)

#13 TaterTot, Feb 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2008
  14. sag38

sag38 Active Member

No where in scripture do you find people praying to "bind" Satan. The only place that I can think of where Satan is bound is in the book of Revelation where Satan is bound and locked away for 1000 years. I don't pray that Satan be bound. I pray for boldness to stand firm in the midst of temptation, to remain true in the face of pressure to give in, to have courage to proclaim Christ,... And, when faced with temptation, uninvited thoughts, etc. I may quote scripture but I don't address the enemy. In the book of Jude even the arch angel refused to rebuke Satan. Rather he left the rebuking up to God. I think we would do well to do the same.

15. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I suspect that the idea of binding Satan comes from Matt 16:19 "...whatever ye bind on earth shall be bound in heaven..."

I think that the meaning there is that Jesus has given us believers the keys to the kingdom. That is, the authority to declare the terms of entrance into the kingdom. I don't think it has to do with binding Satan.

16. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus has bound Satan. How else can he spoil his house? Matt. 12:29.

17. Beth

Beth New Member

ok

Aaron, you must be an amillenialist then.

I appreciate everyone's contributions....everyone who replies really gets me searching the Scriptures, and I really appreciate that.