1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Help on XP cable setup!!

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by John of Japan, Feb 26, 2006.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi, friends.

Help out a missionary and get rewards in Heaven! ;)

I have this brand new PC put together by my Japanese guru. I had my son send ever the XP operating system from the States--as you may know, you can't get US software sent over directly from a vendor.

Anyway, I can't figure out how to get my cable Internet hookup going. XP will recognize that the hookup is there, but won't let me do anything. Any ideas? :confused:

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Did you try going to "Connect to" in the Start menu, then "show all connections", right click on your cable internet connection, then click "enable"?

If its more than that you'll have to ask someone smart ;) .

3. kubel

kubel New Member

Some cable providers link the hardware address of your computers networking card to the cable modem so only that one computer can access the Internet. Not many ISPs in the states do this anymore, but I don't know about Japan.

You can also check your old computers browser settings to see if it used a proxy server. That might be another cause.

4. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a connection wizard that will step you through the process, might be something in there that would help you.

5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I kept meaning to get back to this and say a hearty "Thank you" to you who posted here. I finally set aside a whole day to work on it, and got the thing by advice from the server. I got a different person this time who knew what he was doning, and what he told me to do was turn off the cable modem for a few minutes, since it was remembering data about my old system. When I started it up again, everything was fine. It looks like this is what kubel was telling me, but I wasn't smart enough to figure it out.

Anyway, thanks again, everyone! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Yes, and you may also have to go in and set-up the TCP/IP in the Networking part of the Operation Panel.

7. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, I believe I had to do that. It's all kind of hazy now.

Many years ago, after I graduated from the Commodore 64 to the IBM XT, I was a PC guru to the other missionaries in the Kanto Plain. (This was before the Internet, children.) I was a force to be reckoned with. Then came Windows, '95, '98 and all their cousins. Life has passed me by, I've been put out to pasture, and have not been a geek for over a decade! [​IMG] [​IMG]