1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Help with Daniel's 69 weeks

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by George Antonios, Jul 13, 2021.

1. George Antonios

George Antonios Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    5 manuscripts have "governing"?

2. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    From what I understand all manuscript copies of Luke have ηγεμονευοντος in Luke 2:2. What other reading is there in any manuscript for Luke 2:2?

3. George Antonios

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm doing my own search, but help me out here, those 5 things you referenced, are those manuscripts? What's the link?

4. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought you would know. TR, the Received Text, Like used by the KJV. WH, Westcott and Hort text, MT Majority Text. NU, Nestle-Aland and United Bible Society text, F35 family 35 Greek text.

The Blue Letter Bible dot Org has the TR and WH/NU text and now the morphology for the Greek grammar.
    The F35 as F35-GNT.pdf can be download from Dr Pickering's web site.

5. George Antonios

Faith:
    Baptist
    But that's why I asked repeatedly for manuscripts, specifying not texts, but you kept giving me texts. So I thought maybe they're manuscripts with similar abbreviations. So again, do all manuscripts (not texts) say "governing"?

Texts are not the same as manuscripts.

6. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Greek texts are all some type of compilation of select Greek manuscripts. Except for some select Byzantine Greek manuscripts which are for the most part the same. Otherwise each manuscript is different in some way or another. The Nestle-Aland lists many of the manuscripts and in it's apparatus lists some manuscripts with or without a reading. Dr Pickering's F35 Greek text only lists manuscripts 5th century or older otherwise other Greek texts such as the TR or NU and some others.

All manuscripts have some 100% agreements. Which makes them that book. So the Greek that translates as "governing" in Luke 2:2 is part of the 100% that makes a manuscript Luke.

#46 37818, Jul 20, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  7. George Antonios

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think so, but may be wrong, will revert.

• Prayers Prayers x 1
  8. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is the deal. If there is no 100% agreement in any way then every manuscript would say something else. The thousands of manuscripts would all say different things.

9. George Antonios

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Informative Informative x 1