1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Help With Understanding Soccer Rules

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by KenH, May 14, 2006.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was at a dog agility trial last weekend that was held in an indoor soccer arena and noticed that the World Cup starts next month. I thought I might give watching some of the World Cup games a try. Can someone recommend a good website that explains the rules of soccer so that I can try to understand what is going on when I watch a World Cup game?

2. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

3. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

*cough, cough*

Ken back away, far away...

[​IMG]

4. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Glad you are at least giving "the beautiful game" a try. The links should help, also try:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soccer

Keep in mind that while some will say soccer is slow, the interesting part is watching the play develop. Understanding fromations and such can make the viewing experience fun. Like any sport though, you either like it or don't.

At least you are willing to give it a try unlike some on this board [​IMG] ;) :D .

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It looks like the Spurs will make an early exit from the NBA playoffs, so I will have time to expand my sports horizon. [​IMG]

Plus, unlike sports in the United States that crown a champion every year, the World Cup only crowns a champion once every four years. Therefore, it means four times more to win it.

6. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Ken, try watching some MLS games on ESPN. Though some of the European guys on here would knock them as not being a "real" first division league, they are fun to watch. The games are usually faced paced with an "attacking" brand of soccer. I like to follow the Chicago Fire since Detroit does not have a team yet.

On the internatinal scene I am torn since I am a missionary. Being an American I love to see US soccer do well like they did in the last WC, but I am a missionary to Argentina (a perennial competitor) so my loyalties are divided.

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the info, everyone. [​IMG]