1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Help!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Amy.G, Feb 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

You will find that it corrects nothing.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

So 'iron sharpening iron' is fiction :rolleyes:

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Why is that? The only way it wouldn't help is if someone is just too stubborn or lazy to read and study and in that case, there's nothing anyone can do to help them anyway. But I don't believe these ladies in my class have incorrect doctrine to begin with. That was a problem in the church I left, but not this one.

4. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Interesting response.

How do I get my "wild ideas" corrected if I can't ask questions about a Sunday school lesson? Wait a month to get the answer to a question that arose last Sunday? In a month, the class has moved on, and I've probably forgotten the question from last week. So, my "wild idea" remains.

Sometimes in our quarterly I have a note beside a portion that reads something like this. "The Bible doesn't say that!!!" If the teacher repeats what's in the quarterly, you're saying I shouldn't have the opportunity to ask/discuss while the material is fresh in everyones mind. Am I understanding your premise correctly? Either the author of the lesson is in error or I am. How can I grow in wisdom, if my current understanding of xyz is faulty?

Back in the old days, when I was in college, took a required class in the OT and NT. Unfortunately I had the same professor for each class. His teaching method was to read from a series of index cards. As long as we took notes on what he had on those cards, we'd pass his tests. Did I truly learn anything worthwhile from his classes. The answer is No.

Just as I wasn't learning much in the first Sunday school class I mentioned in my prior reply.

Maybe I'm an exception. I don't know. I do know that I learn more, when there's a qualified SS teacher leading a class that allows participation by the class members. When I'm wrong, I get corrected. Plus, I learn from others regardless of whether their initial comments are spot on or need correcting, too.

5. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I totally agree. :thumbs:

6. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Freeatlast,

I have found over the years that if there is no competent leader in the group, a "discussion" CAN lead to chaos. However, I thrive on leading my SS class and in the recent past, my 6th grade Bible class at a Christian school, in discussion.

I was trained at my secular university in graduate school on using questioning techniques to pull reluctant students into a conversation about the topic at hand. I've tweaked those techniques into my own version and use them everyday whether in teaching math or the Bible.

I have to know what they know. I have to give them opportunity to contribute things that I may not have thought of.

Lecture does have some benefits. A teacher can impart a lot of knowledge quickly and in sequence. But without discussion, the teacher really doesn't know if the students are comprehending or not. Or even if they are able to apply the knowledge.

Discussion has its benefits, too. Students will tend to pay attention sometimes to a discussion because they might have a question or a comment to make. I have one little lady who asks at LEAST 2 or 3 excellent questions every week. And they are always pertinent to the lesson and enrich the lesson in our discussion of the Biblical answers.

I HAVE to know that my SS class is going to take our lesson and apply it to their daily life. Otherwise, what's the point of my teaching them? And I know that they can't do that unless they understand it. And I won't know if they understand unless I provide opportunities for them to open their mouths and ask questions and make comments or give testimony.

7. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I have never seen you change your wild ideas here when corrected so why would it be any different in another place? The teaching time should be for the lesson and if taught correctly then you will get the answers to your questions that are involved with the lesson. If there are questions on matters not pertaining to the lesson they should be asked ion private. I tis not a time for each person to explain what they believe. Go in private and do that.
    Teaching takes a lot of study and preparation if done correctly and questions cause rabbit chasing. Ask after class.I assume you do not interrupt the preacher with questions when he is preaching or interrupt and give your opinion opn a matter and bible class should be no different.

#27 freeatlast, Feb 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2012
  8. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Shepard's are to feed the flock.

They are not to just demand the wool.

To me, taking a position that questions should not be permitted; or discussion should not take place; but rather, a ridged policy of sit down, be quiet and listen to what I am saying leaves a lot to be desired.

Many young Christians have questions that need to be dealt with. Case in point, when I was a young Christian I approached my pastor on two occasions asking for his insights. His pat answer?

"Your answer is in the Bible! Book of...., Chapter...."

I was beginning to wonder if I had bad breath or something. I never approached him again. I just sucked it up and went on my way.

For that matter, many people have questions no matter their age and reluctant to ask them.

9. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Are saying you interupted his sermon and asked a question?

10. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are saying you interupted his sermon and asked a question?

Do you ever attempt to identify your target for just shoot into the bushes because they are moving?

OF COURSE, THE MORNING WORSHIP SERVICE IS NOT THE TIME TO INTERRUPT WITH QUESTIONS. CAN I MAKE THIS ANY MORE CLEARER TO YOU? IS THERE ANY MISUNDERSTANDING HERE?

The Sunday School Hour however is another matter all-together, don't you agree? The Sunday School Hour is WHAT I WAS REFERRING TO.

11. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I never thought this thread would turn into an argument.

Fal, can we do anything right around here? You seem to have a problem with everyone.

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

:thumbs: :thumbs:

13. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

You seem to forget it is a debate forum. [offensive language removed]

#33 freeatlast, Feb 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2012
  14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Freeatlast, that is as low as it gets. This is one sinless day you can cross of your self righteous calendar.

15. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

That deserves repeating!

16. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Wow. :tear:

17. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uncalled for. Cruel and wicked. Not representative of a healthy debate, but a mean-spirited tongue-lashing. If I were a moderator here like I am elsewhere, I would put you out for a while.

#37 Scarlett O., Feb 6, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  18. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Amy if I hurt your feelings I am sorry, but I suggest that you not start the attack and none will be returned.

19. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

In other words "I'm sorry but it's your fault. You made me do it". Sounds like a typical abuser.

20. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

My guess is your husband had all he wanted of your mouth and that is why he left.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.