1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Here Comes Peter Cottontail...

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by robycop3, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

There are intermediate positions that one may occupy.

Trying to make an alternative to a pagan celebration is a good thing. That's why churches sometimes hold graduation parties for their high school youth on the same night as the get-drunk-and-fornicate party the other seniors are attending.

Historically, though, the attempt to Christianize pagan holidays hasn't fared too well. It's hard to sanitize paganism. Bringing in the fertility cult and giving the symbols new interpretations pretty much winds up just confusing everybody until onlookers, and some members, cannot tell the difference between the church and the world.

American Christianity might start drifiting that way if we aren't careful.

I'm just sayin' . . .

2. Spinach

Spinach New Member

I LOVE Easter! I was saved on Good Friday. I was indeed a good Friday!!!

We don't do candy and egg hunts with our kids----mostly because we don't allow much candy and I don't care for boiled eggs. We did dye a few eggs last year and the kids really enjoyed it. I think we'll do that again this year.

3. Spinach

Spinach New Member

Bobby, your last post had me laughing so hard that I snorted. Good one!

4. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    At one time, the t-shaped cross was a pagan symbol; the Philistines used a fish symbol like the one often seen on cars for their god Dagon, a fish-god. The swastika was once a good-luck symbol. However, no one doubts their CURRENT respective meanings.

"Easter' is not from Ishtar. it's from the old germanic-tribe spring rite of Ostern(Eastern), which included egg-laying bunnies, hot-cross buns, new clothes, & treats for the kiddies. &n the 300s AD, missionaries sent to the Germans by Constantine wove the story of Christ's resurrection into the Ostern rite. Among those Germanic tribes were the Angles & Saxons who later invaded what's now the British Isles, carrying Ostern with them; as the language evolved into English, Ostern became Easter. As time passed, it became more & more "holy" to the British. Thus, the AV1611 included an "Easter-Finder", & declared Easter to be one of the 2 holiest days of the year along with Christmas.

However, its use of "Easter" in Acts 12:4 is a booboo, as Easter didn't exist when Luke wrote Acts, and Luke used the word 'pascha', the word he always used in his writings for PASSOVER.