1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Here is a Bible Version we can do without!

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Mexdeaf, May 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rev. Lowery

Rev. Lowery New Member

You see though thats the point right there rbell.

You talk about MV's "creating confusion among the lost." I have honestly never been in a setting where that happened. I have been in a setting where a bunch of Christians fought about translations, and the lost folk rolled their eyes......

We are not showing them something that they want they see us in the same way they see everyone and thats not good.

Ephesians 2:8 and Ephesians 4:29

2. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Originally posted by Rev. Lowery:
    roby how is a Book considered a Bible what is the Canon?

A book calling itself a Bible is valid if it follows accepted Scriptural manuscripts closely. My best advice for learning about the canon is to Google"how the bible's canon was formed".

The KJV has never been disputed but yet all other English MV's have been, do you ever wonder why that is ?

No, cuz the KJV HAS been disputed, especially in its early years. There were many "Geneva Onlies" in those days. In fact, every English BV ever made has been disputed.

See the modern MV's make you feel, "oh yea I am doing fine I can do whatever and God loves me." thats what Satan wants you to think. There have been many post's many many times how the MV's make everything OK.

Can't speak for anyone but myself, but I feel thankful to be able to read God's word freely, in several versions.

I could literally post pages and pages of where MV's error in there ""Translation"" vs the KJV.

Sure, but almost all of them would be wrong. This has been amply demonstrated on this very forum.

And from 1611 to what 1978 we had KJV then it was NIV and the NIV was worse then than it is now so it has improved but, Its not KJV.

Right. And it's Ford Focus, not Model T. Times change.

I have read NIV, NASB, The Message, Book of Mormons, Watchtower, you name it if its in English and claims to be Bible I have read it. I can tell you NONE of them have the POWER and PRESENCE of the Holy Spirit.

Neither does the KJV. He indwells every believer's heart, not the book he's/she/s reading.

Prime Example Psalms 1 read that in any MV you like its just not the same as the KJV, the power is gone with MV's, but not the KJV I get Holy Ghost bumps just thinking about reading it.

It's Holy SPIRIT, not Holy "Ghost". He is a living, thinking BEING, not some disembodied soul.

I'm glad you get some kinda favorable reaction reading your fave Bible version. However, I've never hearda "Holy Spirit bumps". Ya might wanna make sure you're not actually experiencing something else.

Psalms 1 theres a sermon for Wednesday night.

Kewl if ya found sermon material on this forum!

3. DesiderioDomini

DesiderioDomini New Member

I also have never been in a setting where various translations caused confusion among people.

The onyl confusion I have EVER seen caused by bible versions is directly at the hands of a KJVO. Believe that if you wish, but it is simple fact. I have been in church my whole life, and I have worked with youth since I was 19.

Not once has a youth come to me with confusion over the difference between the KJV and the NIV.

DOZENS have come to me wondering why on earth they were lied to by a KJVO and beaten over the head with things that turned out to be untrue once they looked it up.

I would venture to say that without the presence of a KJVO lie, very few would ever be confused about the different versions.

Aside from a KJVO, I have never heard of a testimony stating as such.

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And I can give the EXACT SAME chapter and verse where the AV and several others have ADDED key points that are not found in the oldest and best manuscripts.

What kind of silly logic is this?

The Translations of God's Word are different because they are based on different blends of various Greek texts. Since no TWO texts agree, there will ALWAYS be variances in translations.

5. rbell

rbell Active Member

Please don't take this wrong...but I have absolutely no idea what your above sentence is trying to say. Try again?

And also...how are your two Ephesians scriptures germane to the discussion? "By grace are you saved..." Fine. That disqualifies MV's why? "Don't let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths..." Are you saying that quoting the NIV is "unwholesome talk?"

I don't understand.

6. Rev. Lowery

Rev. Lowery New Member

rbell the way our lives are perceived by the lost should be of great concern and if we argue in front of the lost the subject is by far not unwholesome your reading into what I am saying. The very fact that we can't agree is.

If a lost person asks you which Bible is right and you babel off a few and they ask, "Well why is _________ not a Bible." What do you say?

Sure you will say, "The canon of that particular piece of writing is not consistent with accepted Christian theology."

Then what do you think the lost person will say? "Who died and made you God"

That may sound like an argument for MV's but I assure you it is not. I know that the core Gospel is in 99.9% of MV's but thats not enough. We gotta have the 100% inerrant Word of God or else we are fighting a losing battle.

**Note Please dont read into my post I always say exactly what I mean if you feel I have said something in between the lines you are mistaken. Please dont assume I mean something when I have not clearly stated it in my post.

Thank You!

7. Rev. Lowery

Rev. Lowery New Member

Your very right as have I been privy to this very thing. You must always search the scriptures for yourself. If a person has questions I answer from the KJV 1611 or an AV if they dont understand I explain it and I will use the NKJV or NIV to help them understand. If they wonder why one varies from the other I'll tell them its because language as changed over the years and so as such people felt the KJV needed to be improved for todays language. Then I always explain that not all Versions are accepted by the Christian Community as a whole such as the OP has pointed out here, as well as others. I am not for or against MV's they are tools to be used in conjunction with scripture.

**Note due to my spell checker the above quote has had its spelling corrected.

8. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

I have knocked hundreds of doors since salvation and I have had the opportunity to lead many in a prayer of forgiveness to the Lord. Years ago, 1985, I started doing something that as been very rewarding to me. I am KJVP but I believe that God has preserved his word and will not allow the doctrine of Grace to be removed from any standard MV. I began in 1985 to ask folks if they had a bible in their home that I could use and if not I would use my NT. The results of this question have been that I have used virtually every version of the bible in the presentation of the Romans road to bring them to Christ.

The results of this are that people feel very much at ease because it is their bible being used. Secondly it has reassured me that God's promise concerning His Word has not failed.

As I said earlier I teach, preach and memorize the KJ but I am not foolish enough to doubt God’s ability to do what he said he would.

9. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

As an addendum to the above post I have never had a convert refuse to purchase a KJ Bible after salvation and baptism. They readily accept that our bible of choice in the KJ. We don’t attack other versions we simply do everything in our church with the KJ.

10. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Which is wonderful thjplgvp, I dont know of one poster on the BB that would have a problem with your stand or the churches decision to use the KJV, even exclusively. What the KJVOist cant seem to get in their heads or refuse to get in their heads is that no one on here disputes that the KJV is the Word of God. It is the rabid KJVOist that deny that the NKJV, NASB, NIV, RSV are the Word of God. That is what is truly sad and pathetic, and is a man-made doctrine without any biblical backing.

Bro Tony

11. Rev. Lowery

Rev. Lowery New Member

thjplgvp Great post and amen!

12. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

You can even find the message of spiritual salvation in the NWT!

13. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

“I trust that was tongue in cheek” if not I prefaced my post with “most standard MV’S”. The NWT is not considered a Bible at least I do not recognize it as a bible.

Put the post was humorous keep trying you might get on the Tonight Show yet.

:D :rolleyes: [​IMG] ;) [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. DesiderioDomini

DesiderioDomini New Member

Incredible testimony!

I must disagree with you on one point....I have led someone to the Lord using the NWT....but I quickly replaced it with my own bible.

Seems like every time I lead someone to the Lord, I have to pay for it with whatever bible I was carrying. I've been wondering if God would mind if I stop carrying my favorite bible with me, since I always end up witnessing at random times,. Each "favorite" ends up as someone else's "first".

Perhaps God will start to warn me, and Ill remember to carry a paperback that day????

15. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

Hope of Glory and DD,

I stand corrected I have never even read the NWT and therefore never considered the possibility that one see the plan of salvation in it.

Hope of Glory my latterpost was born of ignorance I see now that you were saying 'you can even use the NWT to see a person saved'. Sorry for the tongue in cheek response.

[​IMG] ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.