1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Here's my stinking problem!

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by mcdirector, Oct 10, 2007.

1. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I'm taking a javaScript class.
    I could see the scripts just fine UNTIL

I loaded a program - an old test generator program - that Vista doesn't like. Vista doesn't like it so badly, it won't open it even.
    So I think I'll just take it off, but it's not showing up on the list of programs to remove

AND I can't see my scripts in the meantime to see if I've coded them correctly.

The program has to be the issue and I can't take it off because I can't see it

What do I do?

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I thought this thread was going to be about personal hygiene... :D

3. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

I am guessing you have looked in the start menu under that folder for a uninstall file? If there is one there, you can uninstall in that manner.

If not,

What is the name of the program? Does it load every time you start windows? If so, you could disable it by going into msconfig and unchecking it so it won't run.

Have you tried Googling this problem to see if anyone else has had this problem?

So for the stupid question, just the ones off the top of my head.

Jamie

4. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Right.

In the computer forum.

You are hilarious.

Now go away if you have no advice because I have a lesson due tomorrow.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

:tear: (hanging head while walking out of the room) "yes ma'am"

6. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I did look in the start menu right away for an uninstall program.

No, it doesn't load that I can tell. I did look at the startup programs and it's not there. I can't get the program to come on at all when I tried to load it. It's (WAS) a really good little program that I got with a textbook ages ago, so it's rare.

I didn't google it because I bet there aren't that many out there. But it's worth a try.

thanks.

7. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

*snicker*

:laugh:

8. readmore

readmore New Member

What do you mean by "you can't see your scripts"? Do you mean that when you double-click on a file with a .js extension that nothing loads up?

If this is the problem, you can just "associate" a different program with the .js file type. Right-click on a .js file, select Open With... from the context menu, and then choose Notepad or another text editor to be your viewer, and check the box that says something like, "Do this every time".

9. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You might try changing the directory name of the program that is giving you trouble and reboot. That will keep it from being available. Or if you want to get rid of it just delete the directory. It will leave some stuff behind but most likely won't give you any trouble I wouldn't think.

I'd rename for now and if you are sure you don't want it then delete.

10. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You might try changing the directory name of the program that is giving you trouble and reboot. That will keep it from being available. Or if you want to get rid of it just delete the directory. It will leave some stuff behind but most likely won't give you any trouble I wouldn't think.

I'd rename for now and if you are sure you don't want it then delete.

11. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

anything between

<script>
    </script>

no longer shows in anything I've written.

In previous things I've written that are already loaded on web pages that are in operations, this is not a problem.

12. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I was trying to do something besides deleting it from the directory - besides I don't know Vista very well - but that's what I did. When I rebooted everything showed back up.

The program was usless in Vista anyway. I just hated to go that route.

13. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Not that it helps the problem this morning, but another alternative to deleting the directory is to rename the directory, or move it to another location on the drive.

14. readmore

readmore New Member

As a relevant aside (and maybe you've already discovered this) a combination of FireFox with the FireBug extension is an awesome way to debug your JavaScript code.

15. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I didn't know that! Thank you. I use their web toolbar tons to look at coding. .

I don't really like javaScript, but find it helpful in many ways, so I'm honing my lackadaisical skills and regretting every minute of it.

can we say bah humbug

When I told my prof that I had Vista on this laptop, he asked me what other computers I had access to mmmmmmm not a good omen . . .

16. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

mmmm That would have been too easy ;)