1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Heresy poll: Other issues

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Gold Dragon, Dec 12, 2014.

?
  1. cessation of tongues

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. amillenialism

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. pre-millenialism

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. post-millenialism

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. dispensationalism

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. KJV only

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. hymns only worship

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. abstience of alcohol

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. none of the above

7 vote(s)
    87.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    #1 Gold Dragon, Dec 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2014
  2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Beliefs that differ from our own can be called heretical. Baptists, which allow the local assemblies to establish their own doctrinal statement of faith, hold differing beliefs. So it serves no purpose to say the mistaken views of Arminians are heretical or to say the mistaken views of Calvinists are heretical.

I am a cessationalist, believing that the sign and wonder gifts given to authenticate Biblical authors have ceased, such as speaking in non-native languages.

I am a progressive dispensationalist, believing as a born anew believer I am of Abraham and a child of the promises of God.

I believe Jesus will reign on earth for 1000 years.

I believe the Great Tribulation will occur before the 1000 year reign of Jesus on the earth.

I do not believe the King James Version of the Bible is the best English translation, good but not the best.

I believe worship music should both lift the saints closer to God and attract those who grew up listening to the music of the modern culture.

I believe we should avoid poisons that kill brain cells, and be sober-minded. But I do not sit in judgment of those who enjoy an occasional class of wine or beer.

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I seldom agree with Van, but on the answers above he describes me as well.

(Heresy = schism among brothers. We are all heretics at some level.)

4. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

!. First I believe that the tongues of the New testament were foreign languages not glossolalia. I believe these gifts have ceased

2. I believe the Biblical doctrine of Eschatology is best explained by amillennialism.

3. I believe that both premillennialism and post millennialism are incorrect but they do have a correct doctrine of the church.

4. I reject the eschatology of pre-trib-dispensationalism but believe its most serious error is their doctrine of the church.

5. I prefer the KJV Bible above all others. Other choices in order would be the NKJV, NASB [1977], ESV, NASB95. I reject dynamic equivalence Bibles because I believe they are nothing other than brief paraphrases.

6. I believe that hymns should glorify god and edify the believer. I reject the 7/11 music that caters to the prevailing cultural preference.

7. I practice abstinence however I would simply note that Jesus Christ turned water into wine. Red wine is supposedly good for the heart but it tastes like rotten grapes so I simply drink purple grape juice. I would also note that the Scripture gives us a little food for thought!

Acts 2:13-16
    13. Others mocking said, These men are full of new wine.
    14. But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words:
    15. For these are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day.
    16. But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;

1 Corinthians 6:10
    Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

1 John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

5. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

To paraphrase Dr. Bob: I don't always agree with OldRegular, but on the answers above he describes me as well.

6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Too many times in the history of the church, it has come down to us amking our own personal convictions and preferrences made the standard by whicjh all others get judged as to being spiritual or not!

7. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

Perhaps it's because it is still rather early in the morning, Y1, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around your intention with this post. If I'm reading it correctly, you're saying the church has too often allowed the preferences/beliefs of one man to become the standard or model for righteousness within the church.

If I'm correct in that assertion, then I agree, though that was not my intent with my response. I was merely stating that OldRegular's stated position rather closely defines my own beliefs, just as Dr. Bob said about Van.

Or am I reading you wrong, Y1?