1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Heresy: What is it?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Gina B, Jul 17, 2006.

1. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes.
    peace to you:praise:

2. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

[Snicker!] [Snort!]

Heh! Heh!

Ed

3. Mishelly

Mishelly New Member

Can one discuss other beliefs of so called Christians and not have it be heresy.

Debating is just that, debate. One can ask a question while trying to explain why the otherside believes as they do with out being heretic.

I know some belive that to discuss such matters is spreading the lies and thus being heretic, I do not.

To understand is to have the knowledge of why they think the way they do. To explain to them why what they belive is not of God and thus heretic.

If you can explain to them, for example the Trinity, and why it is the Truth one must know what they are thinking and why. I want to understand there thinking so I can come to them with my knowledge of the Word. I have a LONG way to go with my knowledge though :flower:

So to debate is not heresy to me, otherwise most of us would not be here :smilewinkgrin:

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Of course debate is not heresy. But many of the topics are. And rejection of many of the doctrines are. Take the trinity for example. One can discuss it in the most civil manner without any reference to heresy or any kind of name-calling. And according to BB rules there shouldn't be any name-calling.
    But the rejection of the trinity is a heresy and should be labeled as such. Attack the doctrine and not the person. Instead of saying you're a heretick; say that any view of God that rejects doctrine of the trinity is heretical. To deny the deity of Christ is heresy. Do we continue our debate without pointing things out. Even the Bible points such things out as "damnable heresies." We should be no less condemnatory in our treatment of actual heresy.
    But again, attack the false doctrine; not the person.
    DHK

5. Mishelly

Mishelly New Member

I agree with this :praise:

My question is this, can one come to understand the other persons viewpoint with out being heretic?

I know the Trinity to be the Truth but how can one explain that to someone who does not with out knowing what they think on the matter?

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

2 Timothy 2:24-25 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient,
    25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;

Yes, and the Bible commands us to do so.

7. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well said, DHK! :thumbs:

8. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ditto:thumbs:

peace to you:praise:

9. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

I would agree we should not "attack" anyone, but is calling someone who is a heretic, a heretic, an attack? The Bible tells us to expose the works of darkness. We are to point out not only the false prophecies and heresies, but also the false prophets and heretics. It is not an "attack", it is their teachings that expose them for what they are.

Bro Tony

10. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Since Jesus and Paul were often downright abrasive and insulting to certain audiences, how do you reconcile that with these instructions?

11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Jesus said: Don't cast your pearls before swine.

Concerning religious leaders, Paul said:
    1 Timothy 5:20 Them that sin rebuke before all, that others also may fear.

Leaders such as Benny Hinn who pretend to be Christians and are not; Cult leaders; leaders of false religions such as Islam, etc. need to be exposed as heretics before all, publicly. There is no doubt about this. They are leaders expounding their doctrine publicly. When a person preaches publicly their false doctrine, they need to be exposted publicly as a false teacher.
    However, when one professes to be a Christian on this board, for example, and is a debate with another poster it is somewhat unethical to call him a heretic. Perhaps the exception to this rule was when we had Catholic e-pologists on this board who were here for no other reason than advertising Catholicism and recruiting people to Catholicism. In that case Catholcism needed to be exposed and these teachers needed to be shown that they beleived in heresy, and therefore were heretics. They needed to be sharply rebuked. They were the foremost leaders in their religion.
    DHK