1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Heretic to give Methodist Lectures

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by shodan, Oct 28, 2012.

1. shodan

shodan Member
    Site Supporter

The church bulletin from my parent's Methodist Church, today, announced that Phillip Gulley will give the the Wright Lecture for the Methodist Morningside College at the Mehtodist Church there. He believes Jesus was only a man.

"He (Jesus) was a monotheistic Jew who did not see himself as divine. He saw himself as a rabbi, probably a prophet."

"If I use any divine language in regards to Jesus, I tend to use the language of my Quaker tradition, which talks about "that of God in all people." This understanding allows me to celebrate God’s presence in Jesus, while affirming that same divine reality in others."

He is advertised as a Quaker pastor, but he did not grow up Quaker and fellow Quaker pastors asked that he be removed as a Quaker pastor. But the Quaker business style is not to vote but to make decisions by consensus. If there are strong objections, nothing is done. And now, there are too many liberal Quakers to do such a thing.

2. billwald

billwald New Member

Gulley must be a negatively interesting person - he has zero wiki entries.

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Kinda like Quakers....non existent / extinct.

4. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

You'd be surprised how many Quakers are still around.

That said, I am not surprised by these kinds of announcements anymore. Non-Christians have been getting a lot of invites to speak in places that they should not be given a platform. That is why homosexuality, female pastors, and mystics have been given fast track to influence in many denominations.