1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

He's Got Some Nerve I Will Give Him That

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by Martin, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will not give Bill OReilly much credit but I must give the devil his due (so to speak). The man has more nerve in his little finger than most people do in their entire body.

This appears today on the FOX NEWS webpage...

"The worst offenders are cowardly politicians like those in Vermont, who simply will not punish crimes like child rape in an effective way.
    Let me say this again. If an adult rapes a child, and I don't care whether it's in or out of the family, that adult deserves to go to prison for 25 years to life."

Personally I would like to see all child rapists, indeed all rapists, get the death penalty. No decent person will disagree with OReilly's basic point. However after the cowardly, immoral, and cold hearted statement(s) OReilly made about Shawn Hornbeck (a child who was kidnapped and raped) his current statements of outrage ring very hollow. When one considers that the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children canceled his inventation to speak at a Florida event after his comments about Hornbeck his comments are not only hollow but laughable. How dare he pretend to be outraged at these judges when he blames the victim in the highest profile child abuse case of the year!

OReilly then goes on to prove that he is totally clueless about his past statements...

"The issue of child rape is extremely complicated. Each situation's different. When the Shawn Hornbeck case broke, many pinheads in the media ran out screaming "Stockholm Syndrome." That is the captive identifies with the captor. That's just bull. And anyone who said that's irresponsible.
    What happened to Shawn Hornbeck and thousands of other kids is called "child sexual abuse accommodation syndrome." That is, the child is literally tortured into accepting his circumstance. This is so evil, it's almost beyond comprehension. The guy who did this to Shawn Hornbeck, Michael Devlin, doesn't deserve to live another day in this world. -- That's how evil the man is.
    "Talking Points" is not going to report specifics about the Devlin case. I'm going leave that to the authorities. But everybody should know this is beyond horrifying. And no rehab should ever be in play."

I agree with most everything he said here. I would, however, assert that Hornbeck had the classic symptoms of Stockholm Syndrome. However since neither OReilly, or myself, are psychology scholars I will allow that difference to remain. Just think, if OReilly had made this statement first, instead of his other "pin headed" statement, he could still be a important spokesman for Jessica's Law (a Law we really need passed).

This just goes to show how careful we all must be to watch what we say.

2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

He's going to be on Oprah today. Is the studio big enough to hold the gargantuan egos of these two? :laugh:

3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am sure those studios can be expanded to make room for them. The question is will there be enough room for other people. I am glad that I have a haircut at 4pm today so that I will not be home to watch that show.

4. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

I suppose he thinks that if he goes overboard in the opposite direction, that makes up for his defense of the guy who raped the kid.

5. Virginia ORB

Virginia ORB Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, not me either. I am firmly against the death penalty for any reason.

Exodus 20:13: Thou shalt not kill

6. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Nobody is "quick to dish out death". A child rapist should never be allowed to walk the streets, in any way, ever again.

However since you don't believe the Bible, which I believe you refered to "as an outmoded text", I will say nothing more.

#6 Martin, Feb 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2007
  7. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Actually that verse should be translated "murder". The Bible is full of examples of a God ordained death penalty.

8. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The fact is, some people can't change. Watch Helter Skelter for an example.

I was being facetious, of course. But I personally don't think that we need to be taking our moral cues or our emotional decisions or our legal standings based on the film industry.

9. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Did you know that The Shawshank Redemption was entirely fictional and not based on a real story? People do change, but using The Shawshank Redemption as an example is just plain silly.

*now returning you to your previously un-hijacked thread*

10. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

So then you are also against life sentences. And what if somebody is sentenced to 10 years and changes in 6 months should they be let out.

People do change. But they still pay the consiquences for their actions.

I believe in life without parol for child sex offenders.

11. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Mr. O'Reilley did not defend the rapist. He simply pointed out that the assertions of Stockholm Syndrome may or may not be the psychological ploy used by the criminal. For some reason, people rushed to hack away at O'Reilley. I'm sure it has nothing to do with political bias :laugh:

12. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==OReilly said that Hornbeck stayed with Devlin because he "liked" not having to attend school (etc). That is blaming the victim and that is unforgivable. OReilly's comments are all the more unforgivable now that we know some of the details of Hornbeck's kidnapping/etc. As for Stockholm Syndrome, Hornbeck had all the symptoms. If he did not suffer from Stockholm then he suffered from something very, very simular. Just read the journals and you will see the same thing. That is what I did and, to my surprise, I discovered that there are plenty of cases simular to Hornbeck's. OReilly should have done his homework before he went on national tv and blamed the victim.

As for political bias. I am as conservative as they come. This is not about politics, this is about morality.