1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hi everyone, from Hicksville.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by HumbleJoe2888, Jul 4, 2022.

1. HumbleJoe2888

HumbleJoe2888 New Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Thank you for reading this. I had a question about the KJV once and came upon this website while searching on gibiru. Does anyone have experience with Chick tracts or David W. Daniels? I was raised reading the NIV 1984 copyright bible, but somehow fell in love with KJV. Then these people, like the aforementioned Daniels came across my life; which was a negative influence.

Daniels isn't right about the Sinaiticus, as I found someone's research paper, who has more experience with ancient manuscripts.

I wish I could just read NIV 1984 bible, but mine is sort of tattered and old.

btw, I'm struggling with obesity right now. I don't have the discipline, since two members of my family like eating out constantly - including soft drinks. What do I do?

I'm also a fan of binaural beats, but only since it helps me fall asleep fast. I know it's wrong, I'm weak.

Somebody help me. I'm in PCUSA by the way. Trying to transfer to PCA, which is more sound doctrinally.

I used to think I was Calvinist, but I don't believe in once saved always saved.

However, if someone is a genuine Christian, they will fight temptation, and come out ahead being saved.
    Thereby, persevering til the very end.

Is IFB a cult?

Attached Files:

2. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First off, welcome to BB. The IFB has some quirky things in it, AFAIK. Their KJVO is baseless and w/o merit, but I don’t want to turn it into a KJVO debate thread in the Introduction Forum. Don’t they also hold to woman always wearing dresses, or is it only to church? Just pray to God to lead you to where He wants you to go.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Baptists are an interesting group.
    First - one of major beliefs is the autonomy of the Local church
    There is a story of 2 baptists who just met - discuss several issues - on the first 20 they totally agree - but on the 21st - the one calls the other a heretic

So there are a wide variety of beliefs among Baptists - some are minor - but others will see the same issue as major!
    For example - I am Southern Baptist. A IFB will say that we are not independent. But we are - the SBC, the State Convention, or our local association - has no authority over our local church. They can give recommendations - but we are under no obligation to do so.
    The Reason the SBC was formed was to send out missionaries!

And the SBC and IFB churches have one thing in common- there is a wide variate of practices within our groups. Some (both SBC and IFB) are very legalistic and some not at all!

And dont worry about copyrights! The KJO love to say that it is does not have a copyright - well not in the States - but the Crown (not individual Kings or Queens) does have the copyright in the United Kingdom. The KJO folks complain that newer versions have a copyright - and as they say - just to make money. Yet - even the KJB states "A man is worthy of his work" - Much money was spent preparing the notes in the study Bible - and that is what has the copyright.

You stated "struggling with obesity right now. I don't have the discipline,..." Well, that I can fully understand - Have you seen a doctor lately - He could help you be put on a proper diet. He will also check to see if there are any medical issues.

Most important - find a good church to fellowship - I trust you will find a pastor to help you thur these issues. And dont discount the Baptist (and Presby) belief of Eternal Security.
    Several years ago - Dr Stanely (former pastor of First Bap of Atlanta) spent 3 weeks on his radio show about Eternal Security. He also mentioned that he grew up as a Pentecostal - who believed in loosing salvation. After careful study - he came to realize that the Lord does NOT veto his security for us.
    Here is a 5 minute clip of Dr Stanley -

Looking forward to your input here on Baptist Board - and a great big welcome.

4. HumbleJoe2888

HumbleJoe2888 New Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    thanks everyone!

5. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Welcome to BB. Lots of info there. Pace yourself.

Concerning obesity, I’ve fought it most of my adult life, (only my four years of army service was good weight) Always follow doctors advice.

I’ve got good news and bad news. The good news, losing weight is really simple. The bad news, you have to consistently stop eating too much carbs and consistently get more exercise. Drink 64-80 oz of WATER each day. Drop soda, peanut butter, ice cream, candy like it’s a zombie virus.

Always think long term. Don’t weigh yourself more than once a month (or even two or three months) Think of success terms of consistently eating healthy and consistently getting exercise.

A good goal is to slowly reduce your weight (4-6 lbs a month). I’ve lost about 40lbs over the last year. I’m down 100 lbs from my highest weight several years ago. I’m still following the “plan” and I’m still slowly losing.

Edit to add: The most important thing to remember about getting healthy is to realize most overweight people have a great deal of knowledge about losing weight. You have to find what works for you. Under no circumstances should you ever, ever, ever take weight loss advice from someone fatter than you are.

Good luck, welcome to BB

peace to you

#5 canadyjd, Jul 12, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2022
  6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Candy - I agree with everything you have said - EXCEPT - for one thing -
    The frequency of weighing yourself

I am better at loosing weight when I weigh myself 5 times a day - Yes FIVE times.
    Now, a couple of things - Those five times are at the same time every day

1) Wake up
    2) After Breakfast
    3 After Lunch
    4) After Supper
    5) bedtime

Now, If I gain a pound or two, I am NOT concerned., esp if I gained a pound after breakfast from my morning weigh in. What I do is compare the same time from the days
    before - so I am looking at long term.

Now if gaining even a portion of a pound - is too much for you - then maybe you should weigh yourself - about once a week.

7. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I find I get obsessed with the weight which varies with me pretty dramatically based on water retention.

I only weigh myself when I go to the doctor for meds check every three months. This allows me to focus on “success” in reference to staying on the healthy eating exercise plan.

But, as I said, find what works for you and do it. Thanks for sharing.

peace to you

8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    absoutely correct!

Now - due to my medical condition - I am limited to what Ican do for PT
    Basically, it amounts to walking - just a regular pace - no running,ect.
    In addition, when I do walk - I collect bottles and cans - and with a 5 cent deposit -
    it adds up - I save it up and put it towards my car payment!
    So yo might say I get paid for doing PT

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Welcome to the friendly food fight. Feel free to "kindly" chime in on proper forums (for issues with translations, for mistaken ideas you have about Calvinism or the power of God to save :) )

We are careful with language - not just cussing, but we don't use words like "heretic" just because we don't agree with a person's interpretation. Let God sort out who is really a heretic.

And the Administrators/Moderators are perfect when they speak from Rome. :) (None of us live in Rome)

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, I just live a few miles from Rome!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay - I'll bite. WHICH "Rome"?
    Rome, New York
    Rome, Georgia
    Rome, Illinois
    Rome, Indiana

Rome, Iowa
    Rome, Kentucky
    Rome, Maine
    Rome, Mississippi

Rome, Missouri
    Rome, Ohio
    Rome, Oregon
    Rome, Pennsylvania
    Rome, Tennessee

• Like Like x 1
  12. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Salty talks about New York pretty often, so I’m betting on Rome, NY.

peace to you

13. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    BB members are not allowed to bet
    I recommend a 10 year ban

• Funny Funny x 1