1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hibernate settings

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by TomVols, Feb 24, 2007.

1. TomVols

TomVols New Member

My laptop is set for the monitor to go black after 30 minutes of idle time (plugged in), and hibernate after 45 minutes (Plugged in). However, while the screen does go black, the laptop does not hibernate under these settings. Any thoughts?

2. His Blood Spoke My Name

Tell it its winter and time to sleep?

3. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Anyone have any thoughts?

4. kubel

kubel New Member

If you hibernated normally, does it work properly?

5. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Yes. It just wont hibernate from the Power settings on control panel

7. kubel

kubel New Member

If a component is actively operating, it might prevent the system from automatically going into standby or hibernation. Often this can be some sort of external hardware (UPS, docking station, etc..), or active software (active VNC connections and media players often block power management on my systems).

Try this:

Set your laptop to standby instead of hibernate and see if it will do that. My suspicion is that it won't standby either and that there's something else active that is keeping it awake.

8. TomVols

TomVols New Member

You're correct. It won't standby from the Control panel settings, either. However, if I close the lid or hit the power button, those actions will trigger either a standby or hibernation.

9. kubel

kubel New Member

There has to be something running that's keeping it awake. Try detatching all external hardware or addon hardware (pcmcia cards, docking station, etc...) and see if it will hibernate/standby via power scheme. If that still doesn't work, try closing all non-essential applications. It could even be malware/virus/spyware that's causing the problem.

10. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Dont know what's going on. Nothing is new on the laptop. No external peripherals. Nothing new has been added software-wise. I have no idea why this is doing this.

11. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Tom, sometimes to straighten out the hybenate you have to format and reload. I know it causes problems but sometimes we download something and it messes up the windows itself. I have had it happen to me and just left it alone. Unless you have to have the hybernate you can set it to go down by the power buttons but I am sure you know that.

12. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Would the "monitor off" function keep it from hibernating? Would the screen saver keep it from hibernating? When I turned both off, the computer hibernated okay.

13. kubel

kubel New Member

Some screensavers that use opengl or directx will cause this problem, but Microsoft released a patch for its screensavers a few years ago, so it should already be patched if you have any of the service packs.