1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

High School Baseball Coach Striving To Be Christ-Like

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Nicholas25, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Nicholas25

Nicholas25 New Member

Hey everyone. With the help of the Lord, and others, I recently graduated from East Tennessee State University with a degree in Special Education. I am praying for a job in my hometown, if that is the Lord's will for my life. I ask that you also pray to that extent. Next spring will be my second season as a varsity assistant baseball coach, and I am currently the head coach of our high school summer team. I am praying, learning, and trying to follow the Lord's leading as a coach.
    I am by nature a disciplinarian. I believe in paying attention to detail, and hard work on the ball field. I received a lot of criticism from parents who do not claim Christ, and parents of children who were either lazy, and/or had bad attitudes. I know our methods are correct, because I know we have a top of the line baseball program, and an excellent coaching staff who gives college level instruction to high school players. However, the criticism I took caused me to look myself in the mirror and evaluate the way I do things. I know that my number one priority has to be being a Christ-like example to young people. If I am a great "baseball man", but do not show Christ, what have I done? Nothing! I am re-reading Coach Tony Dungy's book, Quiet Strength, as well as other materials on him, and am amazed that he doesn't raise his voice or yell. I would love to ask him how he does it. I know discipline and hard work are great, because the Bible speaks often of both. I also know that thinking in terms of the team, as opposed to thinking of self, are also Christ-like qualities that players should possess. My question is this, what about raising my voice? I mean if I have spoke to a player as a young adult after he has done something unacceptable, and told him that it will not be tolerated, and he does it again, what am I to do? I feel the enemy, Satan, is telling me I am hurting my testimony as a coach. I am really struggling, because I am not by nature, like Coach Dungy. I am not naturally laidback. I show my emotions. Please do not misunderstand me, I do not cuss at all, and I would never try to humiliate a kid, but some have questioned my faith because I have high standards. Some think I am not a good Christian because we "get on" the boys. I think the game of baseball can teach many life lessons. I also know we expect more out of the boys, many times, than their parents do. Parents want to look over many things, were we expect a commitment to excellence. I am kind of rambling now, but I would love some prayerful, considerate replys.

2. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Being coach doesn't make you perfect, at some point you are going to blow it, that's part of being human. When I coached I got most irritated by laziness and lack of effort. You can miss the grounder, but don't miss it because you were out of position. When you shift the focus to effort and improving the results take care of themselves. Love the kids, be consistent and authentic and admit when you're wrong and you should be fine. Winning is important, that is why they keep score, but it is only high school baseball, most won't play another game so make sure you do all you can to make it a time they will remember with fondness.

3. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

I wouldnt think that simply rasing your voice or becoming a little bit more direct with a player neccesarily means you have done ANYTHING wrong.

As you said, not everyone has the same personality or tempermant. You say you never humiliate the kids, or use gutter language. Based on just what you have posted, I dont see a problem.

You may have hit the nail on the head when you indicated you thought satan might be trying to mess with you.

We know he is the master liar.