1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hillary Clinton Singing the National Anthem

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Jan 27, 2007.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

Well maybe she was slightly better than Roseanne Barr(not by much) and she didn't spit.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the YouTube Era politicians are going to have to assume that everything they do and say will be captured on film.

4. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought that she did very well.

5. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yes and she got most of the words right. but "our"?

6. Daisy

Daisy New Member

She has my sympathy - I can't sing very well either and that is notoriously difficult to sing well.

7. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Our oldest son-in-law, is youth pastor in our church, and cannot sing a lick. And it is the source of many a joke. He's fine with it.

We had a time where we needed a new song leader, and many an eye was on Dave, and he raised his hand and said "here I am". A chorus of boo's and hisses. too funny.

8. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

I gotta slightly agree with you.

9. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

But, the best that I could call her singing our national anthem would be nasty!

The best advice that I would give her on singing lessons is LIP SING THE WORDS. Better to be thought a liberal that does not know the words to the song than to open that mouth and remove all doubt. I still have chills going up and down my spine, and I will have nightmares for months.

10. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

How grateful I am that I am not judged by my singing ability when I proudly belt out my country's national anthem.

11. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Then I gotta offer you the same advice I would give hillary - lip synch!

Puuuullllease!

12. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Nope, the corporate singing of the national anthem is less about singing talent, and more of an act of patriotism. But you are welcome to bring earplugs! :)

13. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

I wonder if that is the same advice you would offer the nice old lady that sits behind me in church? :tongue3:

I mean, she means well, and she is singing to the Lord, but talk about off-key...

I, to am thankful that I am not judged by my singing, or lack of singing abilities.

Jamie

14. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

As much as I detest the political views of Hillary; I must agree here. She is singing OUR national anthem. Ours. Not any one individuals. Anyway, she is NOT a professional singer, she is a politician.

I admire anyone who will sing the anthem with respect when it is played. What I find distasteful is they who will not salute the flag while the anthem is played or they who will change the song when they sing it.

She may have been off key but she sang it impromptu and it appears like it was spontaneous rather than a political ploy.

Kudos to her.

15. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

As much as I detest the political views of Hillary; I must agree here. She is singing OUR national anthem. Ours. Not any one individuals. Anyway, she is NOT a professional singer, she is a politician.

I admire anyone who will sing the anthem with respect when it is played. What I find distasteful is they who will not salute the flag while the anthem is played or they who will change the song when they sing it.

She may have been off key but she sang it impromptu and it appears like it was spontaneous rather than a political ploy.

Kudos to her.

16. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Psalm 100:1 Make a joyful noise unto the Lord...

Doesn't say anything about being able to carry a tune. :laugh:

17. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, speaking as someone with a female voice, let me tell you what I thought.

I listened to it and played it again and sang with her. It was in a bad key. I think, other than her not having a delicate singing voice, she was struggling whether or not to sing it in the alto octave or the soprano octave.

Some parts lended itself to singing either way. I, myself, switched back and forth while I sang with her.

She seemed to have ended up not hitting all of the correct notes due to not being comfortable with either register.

So she's not a diva.......that particular issue doesn't really give me pause as do other issues pertaining to her.

18. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

My hat off to you for your bravery and willingness to endure the pain of listening to her more than once . . . but, for me? Once was too much. Patriotism aside, I suffer enough without willingly submitting to more pain.

:laugh:

19. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

With all due respect Galatian, that wasnt even a joyful noise. She's a johnny one note. But at least she tried. Who knows, since she is going to be running for president it may be the first time she has ever sung it.
    I was music director for 10 years in my former church and when auditioning prospects for the choir I didnt look for perfect voices but they had to be able to stay on key. I have had to turn down some with angelic sounding voices who cant stay on key and accepted men with voices like gravel but could sing in key.
    Hillary was flat as a pancake.

20. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

She must have been the lady sitting behind me at a memorial service yesterday afternoon. I never heard such a drone! Of course, the fact that the hymn selected was the one about the conquering hero coming from Handel's "Judas Maccabaeus" might have been a factor. It has a range about like that of the Star-Spangled Banner. Never before noticed it in the 1991 SBC hymnal!