1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

His Elect !

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by savedbymercy, Jun 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Election is the Father's Sovereign Choice from Everlasting, of a Special Loved People, Chosen in Christ for Salvation.

Eph 1:3-4

3Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:

4According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

Jer 31:3

3The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee.

Deut 7:6-7

6For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God: the LORD thy God hath chosen thee to be a special people unto himself, above all people that are upon the face of the earth.

7The LORD did not set his love upon you, nor choose you, because ye were more in number than any people; for ye were the fewest of all people:

Predestination is God's pre arrangement of all the decree's from everlasting, to bring about the experiential Salvation of His Elect in Christ !

2. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Got some news for you Brother. Election is all about Jesus, and not about us:

Isaiah 42

1 Behold my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, in whom my soul delighteth; I have put my spirit upon him: he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles.

2 He shall not cry, nor lift up, nor cause his voice to be heard in the street.

3 A bruised reed shall he not break, and the smoking flax shall he not quench: he shall bring forth judgment unto truth.

4 He shall not fail nor be discouraged, till he have set judgment in the earth: and the isles shall wait for his law.

5 Thus saith God the LORD, he that created the heavens, and stretched them out; he that spread forth the earth, and that which cometh out of it; he that giveth breath unto the people upon it, and spirit to them that walk therein:

6 I the LORD have called thee in righteousness, and will hold thine hand, and will keep thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, for a light of the Gentiles;

7 To open the blind eyes, to bring out the prisoners from the prison, and them that sit in darkness out of the prison house.

John 15

1 I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman.

2 Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.

3 Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.

4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.

5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

6 If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.

7 If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.

Those of us who are saved, are grafted into the Chosen One of God, Jesus Christ. We then inherit His Election, and His blessings, too.

3. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Election is about God's Elect ! Plural !

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

5. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

So do you want to explain that ? Normally when I bring scripture to the table I have given a detailed explanation of what I perceive it to be teaching !

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Did you read the passage it is in?

7. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Whew! I'm surely glad we finally got around to dealing with the subject of election. It's never come up here before. I've been wondering why nobody wanted to bring it up.

8. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

That's SBM's M.O. Ask him why he does this.

Again, election is about Jesus, the true Vine, the true Israel. We who are saved are grafted into His election.

9. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Yep. Look at how many made light of the invitation. They were offered, and they flatly refused.

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

In Mt. 22:14 Jesus drew a distinction between the called and the chosen who were the called out from the called.

11. Jerry Shugart

Jerry Shugart New Member

Paul tells us exactly how people are chosen from the beginning for salvation:

"But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth" (2 Thess.2:13).

Those who "believe" are chosen for salvation. God's choice is based on His "foreknowledge":

"Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ" (1 Pet.1:2).

One of the meanings of the Greek word translated "according" at 1 Peter 1:2 is "in consequence of" (Thayer's Greek English Lexicon).

So the saved are described as "elect" and their election is "in consequence of" God's foreknowledge, knowing beforehand who will believe and who will not.

12. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Seems to me that what Jesus taught is that many are called but few are chosen. Does God make a mistake in his calling because those who are called is not the same number as those who were chosen.

13. Jerry Shugart

Jerry Shugart New Member

The Lord wants all to believe so he wants the gospel to go to all men.

Many are called by the gospel and only a few are chosen because only a few believe it.

14. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

It amazes me that so many interpret election in terms of a Greek mindset rather than according to the mindset of those who wrote the books (Jews with the possible exception of Luke).

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    you just ear marked the Lord as a failure.....thats you opinion of God I guess. Not very flattering to an Omnipotent Being. Actually more impotent:confused: than omnipotent.

16. Jerry Shugart

Jerry Shugart New Member

I interpreted according to a Biblical mindset. Did you not notice that my points are supported by what the Scriptures themselves say?

17. Jerry Shugart

Jerry Shugart New Member

I did no such thing. I notice that you said nothing about the verses which I quoted nor about my interpretation of those verses.

18. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Maybe in your Greek mindset but not in the mind of a Jew then.

19. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Earnestly contend for the Faith ! -

Jude 1:3

3Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.

The Doctrine Election is revealed in the scriptures, and His People will take their stand and contend for this Blessed Gospel Doctrine, regardless of what men may say or think !

Even Angels were Elected of God 1 Tim 5:21

charge thee before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, and the elect angels, that thou observe these things without preferring one before another, doing nothing by partiality.

The word is eklektos

picked out, chosen

a) chosen by God,

1) to obtain salvation through Christ

a) Christians are called "chosen or elect" of God

2) the Messiah is called "elect", as appointed by God to the most exalted office conceivable

3) choice, select, i.e. the best of its kind or class, excellence preeminent: applied to certain individual Christians

The Elect Angels are the ones Chosen by God as to associates with the Heirs of Salvation among Chosen men Heb 1:13-14

13But to which of the angels said he at any time, Sit on my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool?

14Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?

Yet there were angels whom God decreed to destroy for their sin 2 Pet 2:4

4For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment;

Its the same with men, some of them God determined to spare them not for sin, they are the non elect of men !

20. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Did the shoe fit?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.