1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

HISTORIC BAPTIST DISTINCTIVES

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by bigczardaddy, Sep 6, 2005.

1. bigczardaddy

bigczardaddy New Member

Bible - the soul authority for faith and
    practice
    Autonomy or independence of the local church
    Priesthood of all believers
    Two offices -
    Pastor
    Deacon
    Individual soul liberty and responsibility
    Separation of Church & State
    Two ordinances
    Believer's Baptism by immersion
    Lord's Supper
    Saved, baptized and serving members

A Test to see if your church is truelly baptist

2. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Try these on for size:</font>
    • Bible the only rule for faith and practice.</font>
    • Regenerate Immersed church membership.</font>
    • Autonomy and Independence of the local church.</font>
    • Priesthood of the Believer.</font>
    • Seperation of Church and State</font>
    • Immersion of Believers and Lord's Supper only two ordinances</font>
    • Seperation</font>
      • </font>
      • Ethical and</font>
      • Ecclesiastical</font>

3. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Squire

I have seen that done using Baptist ...

4. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

I would clarify the separation of church and state. What the world means by that is not what we mean by that. The world thinks it means we have to be invisible in state affairs.

5. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I have come to understand it, we stand against a sacralist state.

6. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

I go with the good Squires list.

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

On the contrary, how it is used in the constitutional implication of Amendment I is indeed roughly what the distinctive referrs to. That the state is to refrain from infusing the religious establishment into government, and that the church is forbidden from infusing the religious establishment into the state.

Today, however, we sometimes want to change the distinctive to fit our religious needs or views. That is contrary to the purpose of the distinctives. They're supposed to dictate our views as baptists, not vice versa.

8. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

John,

You will have to show me where the Constitution, or the Bill of Rights, states

9. Johnv

Johnv New Member

When the religious establishment is infused into the state, it results in the state respecting the establishment of religion, and thus violates Amendment I.

10. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For "our" views to be 'dictated' by any set of statements (scripturally derived or not) is creedalism. I don't like anyone telling me some facsimile of "You're a Baptist, so you believe this:..." Nothing or no one dictates my beliefs.

11. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

That's what I thought

12. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    For "our" views to be 'dictated' by any set of statements (scripturally derived or not) is creedalism. I don't like anyone telling me some facsimile of "You're a Baptist, so you believe this:..." Nothing or no one dictates my beliefs.</font>[/QUOTE]That is your right and priveledge. However, if a person holds to a position contrary to one of the distinctives, that person probably should not call themselves a Baptist. And please note: these are called Baptist Distintives. Thus, they are not germane to one's salvation.

13. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    "However, if a person holds to a position contrary to one of the distinctives, that person probably should not call themselves a Baptist."

I generally would agree. The distinctives have generally defined Baptists, and to depart significantly makes the designation meaningless. Of course, there is no trademark on the word Baptist®, so it is impossible to enforce, which is probably just as well.

I would generally endorse the lists of distinctives above, with some reservations. Baptists have at times espoused more than two ordinances (some still do) and I do not consider them less Baptist for it. Some Baptists also have had more than two offices (the old Generals in England come to mind) and have adopted somewhat different ecclesiology — whether purposely or inadvertently (the roles of elders and deacons is a case in point.) I would add a non-sacramental view of the ordinances as part of the distinctives.

Some of the distinctives relate to Baptist history and no longer make Baptists distinctive. The Reformers preached Sola Scriptura; Luther understood the priesthood of the believer and soul competency ("Here I stand. I cannot do otherwise. God help me, Amen!"), but he shrank from its practical application. Immersion is no longer as distinctive as it was; Pentecostals, Restorationists and a host of others have adopted the same mode.

Separation of church and state is, to me, the most Baptist of the distinctives, historically (although it flows naturally from the priesthood of the believer and soul competency).

The distinctives are heavily weighted toward polity, not doctrine. Baptists have frequently disagreed on doctrine, with soteriology being a prime example. Eschatology is another garden of disagreements.