1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Historical “What if…?” questions #1

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Alcott, Mar 14, 2006.

?
  1. Elizabeth I and ranking Church of England officials would have been burned at the stake (or otherwis

70.0%
  2. England would have returned to Catholicism and Anglicanism would have died

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. There would be no King James Bible

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. England would have been ruled by Spain for around 300 years, as it was ruled by France for that long

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. The animosity between England and Ireland would have been similar, but reversed: Spain would have he

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. There would have been a major war between Spain and France for colonization of the Americas

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. English would not be a widely spoken language today

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Instead of a British Empire on which “the sun never sets,” there would have been a comparable Spanis

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. To this day, most or all of Spain’s colonies in the Americas would still be colonies

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Germany would have prevailed in one or more later world wars, without strong British and American op

10.0%
  11. Spain’s King Felipe would have achieved his objective of revenge against England and its privateers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. England would have been a weaker—though still a major—colonial power… less countries in their Common

10.0%
  13. I can think of other major differences in history not listed here

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. I never thought about this before, and I don’t know what to think about it now

10.0%
  15. No opinion, and I don’t care about historical “what if’s”

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While these 2 questions and their answer options will undoubtedly not be what everyone thinks are the best, this is just a primary attempt to do a poll that has received, so far, the most positive responses on the ‘wanted poll’ poll.

2. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Oil would still be in big demand as a source of fuel. That's what whaling was all about, oil for heat and light. Is there any reason why a steam engine wouldn't be fueled by oil or petroleum by products?

3. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Around the time of the invention of the automobile and into the mass production of Model T's, coal had become principal fuel source for steam engines, for trains, ships, and industrial machinery. Someone here is surely more knowledgeable than I, but I think it's fairly recent that steam engines still used today-- excursion trains, some ships-- began using liquid fuel. But of course if steam cars had become the trend decades ago, there would probably have been quicker adjustments to that source. Imagine driving across the country and having to stop frequently at 'coal stations' to put into fireboxes and having to stir and rake it and dump ashes to keep the steam up. Automobiles would have been too much trouble compared to going by train that it just wouldn't have happened without easier-to-burn fuel that was less work and less time, and definitely less volume necessary for that private vehicle. And then because of other problems involved in burning liquick fuel-- safe fuel pans, how to cool the metal parts without exposing them to water and ice-- I don't think that steam cars would have come nearly as popular as i.c. cars, and therefore the demand for oil to burn would not be nearly as great. We just wouldn't have gotten accustomed to zooming along highways at 70-75 mph in our own private metal and glass shells.