1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

history behind songs?

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by Sopranette, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Do you do research on our most cherished songs? I've started to look more in depth at some of my personal favorites, and I've felt it really helps a great deal to know more than just who and when it was written. Of course, many people know already about songs like "Amazing Grace", written by a former slave trader. Or, "It Is Well With My Soul", written by a man who had recently lost his children during a boating accident. That song always makes me tear up. Recently, I've come to understand a little bit more about my favorite warm up song, "Brahm's Lullaby". Not neccesarily a Christian hymn, I know, but I've wondered why a world famous classical composer would write such a beautiful, simple song, especially someone known for having such a stern and gruff exterior. It turns out he loved children, and wrote the song for a neighbor and their new baby.
    "The Sweet By and By" was co written between two friends. One of the men had severe depression, and his friend knew the best way to cheer him up was to give him a song to put music to. One day he saw his friend looking unwell. When he asked him what was the matter, the man said "Oh it'll be alright in the by and by". It dawned on them both this would be a great premise for a song. "How Great Thou Art" was written by a Swedish Reverend inspired by the natural beauty of his homeland.
    What are some of your findings? I'd love to read them.

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    A woman in the 19th century was walking in a park with her husband. A boy was drowning in the pond and her husband went to save him. Her husband, himself, drowned trying to save that boy.

She has to watch it all from the shore.

She said that all she would do for a long time was to ask "Why?". That was all that could come from her mouth.

Finally, she decided to trust God, even in the death of her husband. She decided to sit down and write a poem about it.....

"'Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus.
    Just to take Him at His word;
    Just to rest upon his promise,
    Just to say 'Thus saith the Lord'"

......and the rest is in our hymnbooks today.

3. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Check out cyberhymnal, I think there are a lot of short histories, when available, for the songs they have there.

4. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Two young men were trying to write a song one day. As lunch time approach, they decided to go to a nearby resaurant. Their waitress was cheery enough, but they couldn't help noticing there was something sad and hollow about her. In fact, when they looked around the room, they mentioned to eachother that the same feeling was coming from nearly everyone there. One said to the other, "They need the Lord." When they got back to writing, they came up with "People Need the Lord".
    I heard it sung for the first time about three years ago, and was deeply moved by it. You could have heard a pin drop while that young man was singing.

5. Timsings

Timsings Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My father, William J. Reynolds, wrote a book on hymn stories. It is a collection taken from columns he wrote for various newspapers in the 1980's and '90's. It is called Songs of Glory: Stories of 300 Great Hymns and Gospel Songs. It was published in 1990 by Zondervan. I don't know if it is still in print. If not you could try Amazon or Alibris.

Tim Reynolds

6. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Thanks, Tim! I certainly will look for it. I'm fascinated by the subject now.

As a young woman, Charlotte spent her time socializing and writing humorous verses, like many her age. Quite suddenly, her health began to deteriorate, and she soon found herself bed ridden and in pain. She became very depressed about this, until a physician and preacher led her to Christ by saying she should come to Him now just as she was. From that moment, her attitude changed, and she wrote "Just As I Am
    ", probably the most well known song by a female writer. I should note the song was written fourteen years after she had this conversion! After her death, people found hundreds of letters from people who had written directly to her about how her song changed their lives. It has been called the greatest soul winning song ever written.