1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

History of Christianity in Hawaii

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by Hiloan, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Hiloan

Hiloan New Member

I thought I'd start a thread on the history of Christianity in Hawaii. All comments welcome.

Missionaries came to Hawaii in 1820 but there was probably some contact between Hawaiians and Christians in the years between 1778 (Cook's arrival) and 1820.

The history of Baptists in Hawaii is interesting, and I'll share what I learn.

2. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

Interesting subject! I can't wait to hear more about this! :) If I remember correctly, the first missionaries were Congregational.

I stayed with a missionary lady back in 1980 for a few days. Her name was Betty Shattuck, and she lived on the island of Maui. I met several other missionaries, but I can't remember their names...

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    James Michener's historical novel "Hawaii" is a biased but good read on the early Congregational missionaries from New England and the fallacy of transporting CULTURE in the name of CHRISTIANITY to those islands.

4. Hiloan

Hiloan New Member

Sorry for not posting here, but I want to read up on missionary history so I can have something substantive.