1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

History of the Bishops of Rome and the establishment of the Papacy

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by CalvinG, Dec 31, 2003.

1. CalvinG

CalvinG New Member

I looked at this forum, and I was surprised that one of the most common topics on the "Other Religions" area has received essentially no press here.

I would love for our Catholic brothers who have time and inclination to use this thread to show us their evidence that the early Bishops of Rome were regarded as "infallable" or as the final authority with regard to spiritual matters.

What I am specifically asking for is evidence that all Christians, not just those very nearby...so let us exclude happenings within say a 300 mile radius of Rome...deferred to (not merely consulted with) the Bishops of Rome.

I am really looking more for concrete evidence than rhetorical arguments here. And yes...by making this post...I implicitly concede that history does matter...at least to me.

CalvinG

2. dumbox1

dumbox1 Guest

Hi Calvin,

Since I'm only an occasional poster on these boards, I'm definitely not the person to take on the project you propose. But if the topic is one that's of interest to you, you might take a look at some of the books that discuss the issue from the Catholic side. Two that come to mind are Jesus, Peter & The Keys by Scott Butler et al., and Upon this Rock by Stephen K. Ray. Either one would probably provide the sort of information you're looking for.

God bless and Happy New Year!

Mark H.