1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

HOF: Bill Freehan

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Andy T., Jul 18, 2007.

1. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Resume:

5 Gold Gloves - as many as the Hall-worthy Davey Concepcion

11-time All-Star - more than the Hall-worthy Davey Concepcion

Neutralized Averages - .275 / .354 / .432 - all higher than the Hall-worthy Davey Concepcion

3-time top 10 in MVP voting - more than the Hall-worthy Davey Concepcion

And most importantly, named starting catcher for the 1960's Bill James team!

Revamp the system! Freehan should be in!

:laugh:

2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Nice try!

Okay, I'll play along....
    No comparables in the hall, unlike Davey. Weak numbers for a catcher. 735 less hits than Davey. Almost 150 fewer doubles. Almost 200 less RBIs. Scored almost 300 less runs. Almost 300 less SB. 110 less walks. Davey hit .300 three times. Bill only did it once. Davey had 150+ hits 7 times. Bill did once. "Neutralize" Davey's stats and his OPS is .700, among other increases. (Baseball isn't played in a vacum, Mr. James :))

As opposed to Davey, Bill doesn't lead any statistical category or place meaningfully in his era (doesn't crack the top 200 most of the time, and only once did I see him crack the top 150 of his era). Sundberg and Bob Boone had more GG.

How well did they contribute in the Post-Season? Bill hit .139 with an OBP of .225 and a .278 SLG. Davey? Hit .297, OBP of .333, and slugged .455.

His HOF: 89.5., a full 50 points less than Davey. (Freehan gets 45 just for catching 1,774 games, the major flaw in this stat as a whole, no matter how admirable).

Obviously, you're illustrating the absurdity of making the GG and AS stats the bene esse, which I think would be laughable. Those would be interesting stats if Freehan had comparable numbers in his era. But he just doesn't measure up by any meaningful standard or comparison.

I appreciate the joke, though :)

(Edited for mis-format).

#2 TomVols, Jul 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2007
  3. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Oh yes, I forgot - Freehan was once selected as the MVP for the Grapefruit League in Spring Training one year.

4. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Oh well, in that case, that trumps his weak numbers :laugh: That's something Davey never did :laugh: