1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hold Your Breath!

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by don 3426, Dec 14, 2004.

1. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

As long as it is not on the fundamentals of the faith: those doctrines directly related to Christ and salvation, then we can ask God when we get to Heaven. [​IMG]
    DHK
    </font>[/QUOTE]So as it relates to baptism... is how wet you get and when an essential doctrine?

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

If baptism becomes part of salvation, like the RCC teaches, then it becomes heresy. That is baptismal regeneration. Baptism is simply a step of obedience after salvation. But if one ties baptism in with the doctrine of salvation then it becomes a heretical doctrine.
    "As long as it is not on the fundamentals of the faith: those doctrines directly related to Christ and salvation, then..."
    DHK

3. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The error of infant baptism found its way into the Christian church after some people began to attribute to the presbyter "magic powers" when special words were "Said" -- powers that had the ability to change the state of the infant soul without that infant having any understand/acceptance of the Bible at all, nor repentance, nor confession, nor acceptance of Christ or understanding of the gospel message. It was based on "magic alone".

It is of course - never taught in scripture.

In Christ,

Bob

4. don 3426

don 3426 New Member

I have allways been brought up in a baptist church teaching immursion and it was only untill recently that i found it was scriptural and not opinionated and i thought id share what i found in the bible and from pastors

5. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

I would argue that Thayer's is not the most respected lexicon in use, because it has no where near the detail in research as BDAG. I am not going to waste time on what is essentially a spitting for distance contest.

I did notice not one person took up the topic concerning the grammar not supporting the Baptist Idea that baptism is a command to be obeyed. Everybody decided to focus on the meaning of baptism.

Bobryan - properly understood infant baptism has nothing to do with the person doing the act. The pastor does not have magical powers as you put it. Rather it is God working through that man whom he has called to be the shepherd for His people. It is God doing the actual work of salvation not the man.