1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Holder Calls U.S. 'Nation of Cowards' on Race Matters

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Dragoon68, Feb 18, 2009.

1. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Strange, I've been hearing this story all the time. Perhaps you should get away from those GOP propaganda networks so you can hear what's really going on... :tongue3:

2. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

That was the point, there were far more than two blacks that made contributions to this nation. And you forgot Crispus Attucks.

3. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Yep, until Nixon ran the Democrats were majority Southerners which explains the name Southern Democrats.

4. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

What's strange is people of that same race died to keep them slaves also...

Perhaps thats why it was called the war against the north and south instead of the war against the whites and the whites... :laugh:

5. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

By the way, I think that's what Holder was trying to say. We are cowards because we won't discuss Muslims, Italians, Mexicans, etc...

6. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are cowards when it comes to an even handed Mid-East policy also.

7. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

The context of Holder's speech was Black History month and the specific comment was about race instead of religion or nationality.

8. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Baloney! We take the side we think is right.

9. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

People on both sides died in the War Between the States - South and North - for many reasons but it was about 150 years ago and the matter of slavery was settled in the course of it. Unfortunately, some other things were established that have not been good for the country but that's a different story.

10. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Now we make the insignificant or the common or even the bad into the most important or the extraordinary or the great for the purpose of finding "heros" of a particular race. Let us acknowledge them all based upon merit alone.

11. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Remember "black is beautiful"? Each race sees beauty differently much of the time. Whites - generally speaking - didn't see blacks as beautiful and conversely blacks - generally speaking - didn't see whites as beautiful. That's okay. But if we have a Ms Black America - okay by me - then there should be no harm in also having a Ms Yellow America and a Ms White America. Because surely "yellow is beautiful" and "white is beautiful". The point now is that if we established a group in most any venue based on whites it will be deemed racist while at the same time it would not be if it were based on blacks. That is a problem regardless of what initiated the separate groups. Either there should be or should not be separate groups for any race.

12. targus

targus New Member

I have to agree that there are many cowards where it comes to talking about matters of race in this country. But I think that both sides have their share of cowards.

Why haven't African-American leaders and public figures been speaking out about the abysmal graduation rate of Afrian-Americans. Why haven't black leaders been calling out the black youth to stay in school and complete their education so that they can succeed? Why haven't black leaders been calling out black parents to disciple their children to study and develope good character?

Why haven't black leaders been calling out young black men that parent multiple children with multiple partners? Why is no one calling out the TV shows that glorify this nonsense like Muarry and his non-stop DNA tests to find out if guy number 12 is the baby daddy?

Why don't black leaders call out other successful African-Americans to put their money at risk to help other African-Americans start a business so that they too can share in the American Dream?

Why don't black leaders use their influence to start more mentoring programs to teach young African-American boys and girls to become men and women of character?

No doubt some will now call me racist for asking these questions. But in my opinon the solution to problems of racial groups in this country largely need to come from within that group and not from our Treasury as many are demanding.

#52 targus, Feb 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2009
  13. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

That's a great point and those are great questions!

14. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Walter Williams, Thomas Sowell, G W Carver, Colin Powell, Condi Rice, The congressman from OK - (can't remember his name), Ben Carson, Bill Cosby - just to name the ones that come to immediate attention on the plus side!

Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Adam Clayton Powell, - just to name the ones that come to immediate attention on the negative side!

BIG QUESTION --- Which group are (were) DEMOCRATS & LIBERALS?????

Also, which group does the media give publicity to????

I just wonder how much, if any, these achievers THAT ARE NOT DEMOCRATS are lauded in BHM as worthy of emulation---?!

From my area I can truthfully say that (excepting that proverbial 5%) race would be a total non-problem if, IF the race baiters didn't scream RACIST every time some conflict arose that involved a black.

Now, how many here are going to tag me a racist because I bring this spotlight to the stupidity of the left for always screaming racist when they can't argue the merits of a situation???

15. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Tunnel vision... I think if you gave his statement one ounce of objective thought you would easily know what he meant.

16. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

The term slavery perhaps but were blacks truly free living under a separate system of "Jim Crow" laws, having to accept "separate but equal" which was no where close to equal and so separate their food was handed out the back door of a restaurant? How about having to take a literacy test to vote or knowing he couldn't compete for a decent job? We may have stopped using the word slavery 150 years ago but no way were blacks free from the bondage of discrimination etc... Now we have a new set of blacks in the form of Muslim's and non-English speaking Hispanics.

I may not understand this statement. Being a Northerner all my life I suspect there is an aspect I don't see. However I do think it's a shame the extent we had to go to so that all mean could have equal rights. I say shame because our constitution, the one many of the people who discriminated would wave in the air at you, said "all men are created equal". Did we really need so much legislation to define and make good on that clause or should it have been self-explanatory?

17. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Exactly.... :thumbsup:

I was reading my daughters history book the other day and it seems there were blacks whose contributions merited acknowledgment yet were not in the books when I came along. I also noticed her books tell the other side of the Indian struggles which more aptly explain our westward occupation. I don't think anyone wants the writers to dig through the names of blacks or Indians and find an obscure figure of which to make a hero, it's about giving credit where credit is due.

18. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Your post is absolutely true which is why I said that I see a day when black history, ms black America etc... will be fading memory in our rear view mirror. We're not there yet but we are definitely cresting the hill.

19. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I agree and they have, in fact, you heard Obama make many references to the black father not being in the home during many of his speeches. This is not an excuse but it seems we made it better for the black father to leave the home so at least the kids could be taken care of by welfare. I think we need to shift that paradigm. However while the national unemployment is 7.2% the rate for blacks was 13.4% in the fourth quarter of 2008. That is twice the national average and higher than the highest state which is Michigan at 9.6%.

So the problem is not something black leadership alone can fix. It will take American to fix those problems.

20. targus

targus New Member

And yet he is bringing back that old welfare system visa via the stimuls bill.

The problem is a lack of education. That is a problem that has it's roots in the decay of the African-American family as a result of the welfare system that Obama now wants to bring back.

Go figure.