1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Holiness Camp Meeting

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by rockytopva, Dec 20, 2019.

1. rockytopva

rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I drove down to Flovilla, GA for camp meeting this past summer - http://indianspringscampmeeting.org/ Reliefs....

1. All the duct work does a good job keeping the place cool
    2. Dressing standards - See one gentleman there in shorts!
    3. Everyone there was friendly
    4. Well organized
    5. Good food
    6. Typical old fashion service - Singing, preaching, altar call, and good fellowship afterwards.
    7. Well attended - This photo was well before service

[​IMG]

2. Particular

Particular Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    How many snakes were handled?

3. rockytopva

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I see we have a speaker from West Virginia for next year's camp meeting... Maybe we will get lucky!

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I live in Southern Ohio, about 35 miles from Jolo, WV, the snake-handling capital of the world. Believe it or not, that's NOT a primitive little town, reminiscent of Hooterville, etc.

Snake handlers ignore Scripture which says, "Don't dare the Lord your God". When Paul was bitten by the viper on Malta, it was NOT on purpose. He was gathering firewood in the dark.

I have visited Jolo several & found out several things about them. (Most of the townspeople are skeptical about their motives.)The snake handlers generally try to hedge their bets. They often use timber rattlers, which are less-aggressive than their diamondback cousins, but still fairly-lsrge & impressive-looking. The snakes are generally fed the night before a service, which makes them calm, & are kept overnight in a cool (not cold) place, which makes them lethargic, & they often welcome a warm hand upon them. (And they call that "faith" ???)

First, last, & only holiness service I attended, started out like a normal church service. But the preacher became more strident, & people started throwing their hands in the air, rising to their feet, hollering, & acting crazy. Many went to the floor & began cutting dust angels. all hollering & carrying on, while the preacher screeched uncontrollably. I thought I'd accidentally entered a funny farm!

I was unsaved then, but I still wondered, & STILL wonder, HOW THIS WAS WORSHIPPING & HONORING GOD ? ?

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. rockytopva

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Holiness churches I have been to...

I have never seen snakes in service
    Most are on a death watch - Just a few elderly people - No young people
    I went to that camp meeting in Georgia earlier in the year. The speakers all had doctorate degrees and there was no speaking in tongues, snake handling, or anything like that. Was more like a Baptist gathering than anything. Good food, though, afterwards!

6. Particular

Faith:
    Baptist
    I used to devour A.W. Tozer books. He had valuable thoughts for believers.

7. rockytopva

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Wonderful testimony!

Tozer hailed from a tiny farming community in western La Jose, Pennsylvania. He was converted to Christianity as a teenager in Akron, Ohio: while on his way home from work at a tire company, he overheard a street preacher say, "If you don't know how to be saved ... just call on God, saying, 'Lord, be merciful to me a sinner.'" Upon returning home, he climbed into the attic and heeded the preacher's advice.

In 1919, five years after his conversion and without formal education in Christian theology, Tozer accepted an offer to serve as pastor of his first church. That began 44 years of ministry associated with the Christian and Missionary Alliance (C&MA), a Protestant Evangelical denomination, 33 of them serving as a pastor in several different congregations (his first, a small storefront church in Nutter Fort, West Virginia). Later, and for thirty years (1928 to 1959), he was the pastor of Southside Alliance Church in Chicago; the final years of his life he spent as pastor of Avenue Road Church in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Observing contemporary Christian living, Tozer felt the church was on a dangerous course toward compromising with "worldly" concerns.

Tozer had seven children, six sons and a daughter. Living a simple and non-materialistic lifestyle, he and his wife, Ada Cecelia Pfautz, never owned a car, preferring bus and train travel. Even after becoming a well-known Christian author, Tozer signed away much of his royalties to those who were in need.

Prayer was of vital personal importance for Tozer. "His preaching as well as his writings were but extensions of his prayer life," comments his biographer, James L. Snyder, in the book, In Pursuit of God: The Life Of A.W. Tozer. "He had the ability to make his listeners face themselves in the light of what God was saying to them," writes Snyder.

He spent his last years of ministry at Avenue Road Church in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, where he died from a heart attack. He was buried in Ellet Cemetery, Akron, Ohio, with a simple epitaph marking his grave: "A. W. Tozer - A Man of God."
    - A. W. Tozer - Wikipedia

8. Particular

Faith:
    Baptist
    And yet...Tozer was very flawed in his relationship with his family. One report says his boys urinated on his grave when he died. And his wife seemed thrilled he was dead.

"For what it is, namely a life narrative, A Passion for God was a worthwhile read.

And yet, Dorsett exposes a fundamental contradiction in Tozer’s character that raises all sorts of questions about holy zeal and its effect on the whole of life. The contradiction could be summed up: how did Tozer reconcile his passionate longing for communion with the Triune God with his failure to love passionately his wife and children? Perhaps the most damning statement in the book was from his wife, after she remarried subsequent to his death: “I have never been happier in my life,” Ada Ceclia Tozer Odam observed, “Aiden [Tozer] loved Jesus Christ, but Leonard Odam loves me” (160).

Now, certainly all human beings have flaws; that is not the point here. Rather, the point that Dorsett failed to explore adequately is how Tozer reconciled his pursuit of God with his failure to pursue his wife. This reconciliation–or failure to reconcile–should have raised questions about Tozer’s mystic approach and prophetic denunciation of the church and nuanced the value of his teaching on the Christian life. After all, if his piety could spend several hours in prayer and also rationalize his failure at home, then it should raise questions about his approach to piety.

Then again, we all live divided lives. And thankfully, God used his Word as proclaimed through Tozer to bring Leonard Odam himself and hundreds of others to a saving knowledge of Christ. When God promises that his Word will not return to him empty (Isaiah 55:11), it gives all of his servants hope that the working is from God, not from ourselves (Col. 1:28-29). After all, God is able to use clay pots (2 Cor 4:7): he used A. W. Tozer with this glaring personal contradiction and he can use you and me."

https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/justin-taylor/tozers-contradiction-and-his-approach_08/

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gotta wonder about Tozer's actual devotion to Jesus, as a Christian's most-important relationship, after that with Jesus, is with his/her own family. A good spouse & children are God's greatest physical gifts to a person.