1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Holman CSB

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by BoonevillePhil, Dec 17, 2002.

1. Has anyone had the chance to give a good read over the just finished Holman Christian Standard Bible?

It is slated to be the replacement contemporary version in a couple of years with the SBC's Sunday School literature when the NIV bites the dust.

I have the New Testament & Psalms/Proverbs and have really enjoyed its readability & apparent accuracy.

The SBC is one of the many evangelical denominations who are upset :mad: about the NIV's de-gendering of their newest version (Today's NIV). :confused:
    Phil Leslie

2. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you read the TNIV? (My guess would be no) I wouldn't describe it as de-gendered in the least little bit. Funny thing is that the HCSB followed many of the same rules that the TNIV used. Also the SBC is making the HCSB because in the words of Al Mohler (I think) they need a translation that they can control. Not so people can hear God's Word in a language they can understand, but for the reason of control. PLEASE!

3. Clay Knick

Clay Knick New Member

I generally favor translations in the
    Tyndale/KJV tradition like the ESV, RSV,
    and NASB. I have enjoyed the HCSB and
    found it to be clear and accurate. It
    is a combination of the NASB and NIV.
    I will consult it, but use the ESV as
    my default translation.

Clay

4. Keith M

Keith M New Member

I have been impressed with the HCSB and the ESV. As for the TNIV, I haven't read enough to form a definite opinion...but I was never extremely fond of the original NIV, so I can't see that the TNIV would be a favorite, either. This is just my personal preference, and not a KJV Only stance...