1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Holy Days vs. Holidays?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Calminian, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I love American holidays. I noticed some don't.

I came across this article.

Why I Celebrate God's Biblical Holy Days Instead of Holidays

It's by the United Church of God, which I'm not familiar with. Could be a cult for all I know, but the reasoning is that American holidays aren't in the Bible, therefore we should stay away, and go back and celebrate OT holidays.

The thinking is flawed and might be related to confusion about the Church and Israel.

Furthermore, Paul made it clear that we are to obey the governments we reside in (Rom. 13), and that we have liberty regarding holidays (Rom. 14), which makes sense, being we live in gentile nations.

Anyone have a take on this?

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Cult indeed — one of several breakaway groups from Armstrong's Worldwide Church of God after Herbert and Garner Ted were out of the picture.

This is only one of their peculiar beliefs: besides being binitarian, they incorporate elements of JW's, Mormons, 7th Day Adventists, and Christian Science. You would have to get an anti-cult book to fully explain their views.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lets see:

New Year's Day - where we look back and look forward. Almost biblical as it mirrors taking up our cross and striving to become more Christ-like.

MLK day - I think we all should have a dream today where we judge people by the content of their character, rather than the color of their skin.

President's Day (Washington and Lincoln) - Gives us a chance to reflect on service to our country, as flawed as we might be.

Memorial Day - near and dear to my heart as it used to be my father's birthday, and I spend some time thinking about my trips to Arlington and Gettysburg.

Independence Day - So important to separate governmental power from church power. Especially as governments grow more pagan and anti-Christian.

Labor Day - I am not a fan of union's, thugs, or the use of force to get our way.

Columbus Day - perhaps we might consider Native Peoples Day

Veterans Day - I knew a vet or two, and when they walked into a room, I felt I should stand. One guy, now in the arms of Christ, flew combat missions in WWII, Korea, and Viet Nam. (Corsairs, Sandies, and F-4's).

Thanksgiving Day - It is not Turkey Day but a time to look back and give thanks to God for our many blessings.

Christmas Day - It is not about Santa, or whose house has the most lights, but about the Gift of God's Perfect Gift.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    New Year's Day - A day off for people who get drunk and pass out the day before.

MLK day - A day for black people. Mandatory indoctrination day for those in college.

President's Day (Washington and Lincoln) - Use to be two different days but the Chamber of Commerce Scrooged us for wanting 11 days off.

Memorial Day - The day people go to worship those who died fighting in wars.

Independence Day - The day everyone can shoot or watch fireworks.

Labor Day - Use to be a day off for Labor. Now it's the day off for people who don't labor.

Columbus Day - Cartman said it best.

In 1492, Columbus got us all a day off school.
    With just three ships, he sailed over
    so we could have some 'me time' in October.
    And, yes, millions were slaughtered and throats were cut.
    But if we don't get that day off school, then for what?

Actually though, it started as a celebration of Italian heritage.

Veterans Day - The day people worship those who participated in the military in wars and didn't die.

Thanksgiving Day - Family day.

Christmas Day - It's all about Santa despite Dickens trying to make it about goodwill. Only pagans celebrate the birthday of their king.

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah, good old days, when we knew what a real cult looked like!

6. Calminian

Site Supporter

Boy, you sure allow others control your thinking.

7. Calminian

Site Supporter

You said plainly that Christmas is all about Santa. Who were you speaking for, if not for yourself? Seems that you've acquiesced to the thinking of others on holidays. How did they bind you so effectively?

8. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I spoke for the reality of these holidays.

Everyone celebrates Christmas. Japan Celebrates Christmas. Pakistani Muslims celebrate Christmas. Everyone. For the vast majority, Santa and Christmas trees is what Christmas is. To deny this is the same as denying the Holocaust.

Very few people actually believe that Jesus was born in the middle of winter on the winter solstice. Being born on winter solstice would have likely have been something someone would have mentioned at the time.

The real Christian holiday celebrating the death and resurrection does not usually get a day off.

What I was stating was the reality of the holidays. For me, they are just a possible day off work and a day the federal government won't be open.

Do I get drunk on New Year's Eve or even do something at midnight? No. But I realize many people generally do and the people in government realize this. So giving the day off instead of having everyone call in sick is the reason for the holiday. While people may contemplate the past year and prepare for the next, I don't see that as the reality of why the holiday was created nor why it is still "celebrated".

Many Catholic "holidays" are the same. Lent happened at a time at the end of winter when food supplies were short. So, fasting at this time in some cases was not only helpful but in many cases mandatory anyway. All saints day was used to mark the final harvest. Realizing the reality of the holidays does not mean that one is letting other people tell one what to think.

9. Calminian

Site Supporter

What does that mean? "reality of these holidays"? Reality for who? Only you can decide for yourself how to view a day or a symbol. Like Paul said, let each be convinced in his own mind. Why have you decided Christmas is pagan? Who has influenced you that way?

Well I've heard some weird arguments in my day, but this takes the prize. Denying Christmas is pagan is akin to denying the holocaust. Ding ding ding, we have a winner! Hats off to you.

Again, your choice. You can't blame it anyone on anyone else.

10. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It means that is is what the holiday is for the majority of people.

The Bible has. Find the celebration of Christmas in the Bible. Hey, find a single occasion in the Bible when a birthday was celebrated. Most important, find the things which are common in the majority of households which celebrate that holiday such as the flying Santa, the Christmas tree, stockings, and reindeer.

So you think that Pakistani Muslims are celebrating their Lord and Savior Jesus Christ? The same goes for the Japanese. KFC anyone? Quote to me the passages in the Christmas Carol by Dickens about Jesus. Remember, the Puritans - your Calvinist forefathers - actually banned Christmas. Yet, you are claiming that this holiday came from the Jesus and the Apostles?

The revival of the Christmas Holiday in the U.S. did not come about through some spiritual awakening but through the popularization of Christmas by Charles Dicken's book. Before then, celebrating Christmas was sometimes fined and the other times simply frowned upon.

So, yes, Christmas primarily being a secular holiday is obvious to anyone who doesn't defiantly deny reality.

I never blamed reality on someone else. You seem to be blaming reality on me.

11. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I almost forgot. Pharaoh celebrated his birthday. He was a Christian, right?

12. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, man, that is a low blow! Have you no shame?!

(I don't think Calminian identifies as a Calvinist.)

13. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    One last thing since people might misinterpret what I've said.

I do not, in any way, discourage others from celebrating Christmas in whatever way they choose.

14. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    He doesn't? My mistake. I apologize.

15. Calminian

Site Supporter

How sad you allow the majority to think for you. Jesus told us to do the opposite. Narrow is the road.

Ask and you shall receive. Romans 14.

Rom. 14:5 One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind. 6 Whoever regards one day as special does so to the Lord....​

Paul gave us free reign to celebrate the Nativity on any day we wish.

Very sad you allow pagans to think for you.

Yes, the Apostle Paul penned Romans 14 allowing you to celebrate holidays to the glory of God. Paul knew Jesus well.

Yet many are spiritually awakened at Christmas. Many unbelievers come to Church on Christmas and Easter.

Well, considering how you use it, it's obviously a secular holiday for you. You've made it that way. I just don't know why.