1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Holy Spirit

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by awaken, Aug 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    the book of Hebrews made it clear that the Lord used the Apostles in their Signs/Wonders to confirm that yeshua is Lord, but note that it was said to "have been confirmed in the past"

believe that the lord still heals today , and can still do miracles , but that NONE are gifted with the gift to do them as Apostles were, its today just God doing it!

2. awaken

awaken Active Member

I agree that the Apostles were confirmed by signs and wonders..but it does not say it was done away with. Other people manifested the Holy Spirit too!

I see in Eph. where He gave gifts for the perfecting of the saints, the work of ministry, the edifying of the body of Christ..til we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ.

Are you saying that we are there?

3. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    saying that the Gifts such as healing/prophesy/signs and wonders not needed for today, as we have the full canon of the Bible...

God can still choose to do healings, miracles etc , but NONE gifted by him to be able to do it, its all by Him now!

4. awaken

awaken Active Member

THis is what I have been taught all my life! But six years ago I found out I was taught wrong! We are just going to have to disagree because not only is it not in scriptures that it has passed but I have experienced some of it myself.

In the South there are a lot of Baptist seeing the truth about the Holy Spirit...A lot of change!

5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What are you exactly seeing and experiencing then?

6. awaken

awaken Active Member

To make a long story short....
    Prophesy is not changing the Bible. You can prophesy on a personal level without changing the events in the Bible. It is edifying to the people! I have done this and also been prophesied over!

Praying in the spirit is real! It is powerful!...and it has not been done away with! Ever wonder why satan attacks this gift the most?

God has always worked through men in the Bible, why would he change now?

7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

ALL that we need to live for the Lord though is contained in the bible...

What does that other stuff add to our walk with him?

paul said be filled with the Sprit, but where did he say do the other stuff?

8. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If you believe you have gotten a new word directly from God...what was it?
    Some have made this claim...like J.Smith says the book of mormon was additional revelation. What did God say to you exactly...word for word..write it down for us...so we can have the book of Awaken.

if you cannot do this...it did not come from God. The Church is told to contend for the ...Faith...once for all time given to the church ...in Jude...

You are claiming there is still more we need:thumbs:

9. awaken

awaken Active Member

God did not call me to write a book! Are you saying God does not speak to us today on a personal level?

I said that it does not add to the Bible or take away! A personal prophesy does not change scripture!

God still speaks to us...still guides us...and sometimes it is through someone else. THat COULD BE in the form of edification through prophesy on a personal level.

10. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Doesn't I Corinthians 13 say tongues, the word of knowledge and prophecy shall cease?

11. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Awaken,
    There is no promise in scripture that God will speak to anyone in an audible voice. If God were to speak directly.....it would be the same as scripture, it would be new revelation.What verses are you thinking of?

Consider this:

12. awaken

awaken Active Member

I did not say audible! In my spirit God speaks to me on a personal level!

13. awaken

awaken Active Member

The Bible tells us that we need to be led by the Holy Spirit (e.g. Romans 8:12-14 and Galatians 5:16-25). Therefore, it must be possible for every one of us to discern the promptings and guidance of the Holy Spirit within us!

In order to hear God's voice and discern His leading for your daily life, there's one key point that you need to be aware of. If you can grab hold of this one key point then you'll be able to hear from God much more often. Here it is:
    Don't expect God to speak to you in a sensational, spectacular, supernatural way!

You see, we have a natural tendency to want God to speak out loud to us in an obvious way so that we know that it was Him and so that we know what we're supposed to do. God occasionally speaks to people in "the audible voice of God" or in some other sensational way, but those are not His usual ways of speaking to us. Why? Because God is into faith, and without faith it's impossible to please Him (Hebrews 11:6). The thing is, faith requires that we don't have all of our questions answered! For example, if God always spoke out loud to us so that we know it's Him, then we wouldn't need faith to hear Him. On the other hand, if God speaks so softly to us that we need to draw closer to Him in order to hear Him better, then there's a lot of faith involved. Remember, it's faith which pleases Him.

The still, small voice of God

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, when that which is perfect has come...

problem is that we baptists tend to say that means the canon was complted after revelation, but the contex fits better referring to the Second Coming!

15. awaken

awaken Active Member

I agree!

Corinthians 13:8-10
    "Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears." (1 Corinthians 13:8-10)

Many people assume that this passage teaches that the gift of tongues died out in the first century, because they assume that "perfection" was achieved when the New Testament was completed. However, there are a number of reasons why 1 Corinthians 13:10 (above) does not refer to the completion of the New Testament:

If we believe that this passage is referring to the completion of the New Testament then we are reading into the passage something which it does not actually say. For example, it's equally possible that Paul was referring to the completion of our salvation (which will occur when our bodies are transformed), as in the following passage:

"he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." (Philippians 1:6)

The words "completion" or "perfection" can refer to any number of things. The fact that the Greek word for "perfection" can be translated as "completion" does not prove that Paul was referring to the completed New Testament

16. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

So Paul wrote to the church at Corinth about something that would not happen for at least 2,000 years?

I have trouble believing Paul was sure that we'd be reading his stuff 2,000 years later. Seems to me he would have written to the Corinthians, "by the way, don't pay any attention to this, it's not gonna happen in your lifetime."

17. awaken

awaken Active Member

:eek: WHAT?!?!:smilewinkgrin:

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    believe Paul and the other Apsotle had the earnest hope of jesus returning in their lifetime, but when it seemed not to be the case....

And the prophets also wrote events to come that I am sure sometimes thought was going to hapen quickly!

Have to see that passage in contex, and what seems to best fit the verses...

Second Coming seems to fit it best!

#38 Yeshua1, Aug 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2012
  19. awaken

awaken Active Member

As Baptist I was taught that when we are saved we get all the Holy Spirit that we are going to get. Others are teaching that there is a second work of the Holy Spirit. So which is it? When I look at scriptures I see both sides!

20. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The first is biblical, the second is not:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.