1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Holy Week

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Every Baptist church I have ever been a member has never celebrated "Holy Week" other than Resurrection Sunday.

Why is it as Baptists we do not do so?

Is it simply too "Catholic"
    Is it we dont want to do all the schedule of Holy week?

Other reasons?

Or has your Baptist church done so currently or sometime in the past?

Open for discussion

2. Bob Farnaby

Bob Farnaby Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Baptist churches I've been part of have always given recognition to Good Friday, normally a morning service, a couple have used other days on odd occasions to teach the significance of the different parts of the Jewish feast, and one had a regular Good Friday lunch with other local churches the intent of which was to share together a meal of remembrance. All days are days God has created and we worship Him every day.

Different places have different practices, the important part is that they are subject to scripture and are done for God as part of our worship of Him.

Romans 14 says " 5 One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind. 6 Whoever regards one day as special does so to the Lord. Whoever eats meat does so to the Lord, for they give thanks to God; and whoever abstains does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God"

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    any other responses?

4. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah. No such thing as "holy week." Only God is holy.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We do not. No biblical instructions to do so -- including Easter, as such. Each Sunday is supposed to be a Resurrection Sunday. Yes, it is "too Catholic." No church I have been a member of has recognized "Holy Week" in any way, other than Easter. In my current church we technically do not celebrate Easter "as a church," but most members recognize it and use it as a time to get together with family. It can be a good time to teach on the resurrection, since people are focusing on it.

We "celebrate" "Good Friday" where I work -- that is, it is a paid day off. I don't recognize "Good Friday," but neither do I go in and work for free. :Biggrin

6. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As in many matters which we could partake in commemorating, the week between Palm Sunday and Resurrection Sunday activates the American Baptist severe allergy to things Roman Catholic. On the other hand, Russian Evangelical Christian-Baptists have no such allergy.

#6 Squire Robertsson, Apr 15, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    On his entrance to Jerusalem, the people waved the palm leaves -
    So:
    It may not be commanded, but Is it wrong for our churches to do likewise on "Palm Sunday"
    Found this link:

8. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Speak for yourself.

www.garbc.org/news/should-baptists-observe-lent-2/

www.lifeway.com/Article/Pastor-how-to-observe-a-Maundy-Thursday-service

9. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just a sample:

Grace Baptist, Cape Coral FL (Tom Ascol, Founders Ministries)
    Bethlehem Baptist, Minneapolis MN (John Piper, Desiring God)
    Capitol Hill Baptist, Washington DC (Mark Dever, 9 Marks)

10. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And a short time later this same "Palm Sunday" crowd was shouting "Crucify Him, Crucify Him!"

11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    absolutely correct!

12. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I intended to reply something like this, but saw that Brother Cassidy already had. So I'll just let him say it again!

"Is it wrong" is a different question than I would ask. I would ask, "How does the New Testament teach us to celebrate the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ?" Some of the obvious answers that come to my mind are baptism, communion and the Lord's day. So I guess I would say, no, I don't think it is wrong (in the sense of sinful, evil) to wave palm leaves in church, but I would also say that it is not "right" (in the sense of being based on NT command, precept or example, or in any connection to a regulative principle of worship). I find nothing in the actions of a fickle citizenry or the Old Testament feast of booths that sets my heart aflame to wave palm leaves, in church or otherwise.

Side bar: Your editing (to which I assign no bad motive, but am just clarifying) made it look my "big grin" was a joke in reference to churches celebrating Easter, which I do not consider a joke, rather than as intended to poke fun at myself for not celebrating Good Friday but being perfectly glad to get the day off of work. Just putting this here in case someone might take that wrong.

13. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wonder if the following guy was in that crowd?

But when Paul perceived that the one part were Sadducees, and the other Pharisees, he cried out in the council, Men andbrethren, I am a Pharisee, the son of a Pharisee: of the hope and resurrection of the dead I am called in question.