1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Holy week

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by stilllearning, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Just For The Record...

Easter...Passover...no matter. The AV translators rendered it "Easter" and I personally have no problem or issue with that since it is a term that is more clearly understood in a Gentile dominated world. The New Testament was, in my opinion, written more with Gentile Christians in mind going forward in the new Dispensation of Grace so the old observance of "Passover" would have been more clearly understood by a Jewish population that was declining since the close of the Dispensation of Law. The book of Acts was most definitely a transitional book and it is unwise to be dogmatic or build "sound doctrine" out of or upon it. The Charismatics are a prime example of the folly of doing that in our generation.

All that aside, the only two Biblical REAL and relevant "Ordinances" we are told to observe after Salvation are Water Baptism (ONLY by immersion) and the Lord's Supper. Those observances aren't connected to any specific "day" and they aren't "Sacraments" (as the Catholics or other liturgical "protestant" denominations suppose)....they are symbolic and to be done as remembrances ONLY.... Baptism only once after salvation and the Lord's Supper as a remembrance of what our Lord DID for us at Calvary in offering His Body and Blood for us. That supper is to be a time of introspection and if needed, repentance and confession of sin so that we may be right before God. I personally believe it should be observed at least once monthly for the purpose of keeping us all accountable with our Lord. Easter is fine if you like but it is not attached to any commanded observance as Passover was for the Jews under Law. For the Believers in this dispensation "Passover" would be inappropriate. IMHO.

Bro.Greg:saint:

2. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You merely assume or presume that the KJV translators rendered it "Easter" when there is actual historical evidence from the 1600's that indicates that it was a Church of England prelate such as Archbishop Richard Bancroft or Bishop Thomas Bilson that changed the KJV translators' actual rendering at Acts 12:4 to "Easter."

The rendering "Easter" is not more clearly understood at least by KJV-only advocates since many KJV-only authors attempt to claim incorrectly that "Easter" was used to refer to some supposed or imagined "pagan festival."

If your reasoning was correct, a consistent application of it would assert that the KJV should have also kept all the other uses of "Easter" in the pre-1611 English Bibles.

3. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

Hi Van

This is not “fault-finding”; It is “love”!
    Loving people enough to tell them the truth.
    Keeping silent, is not the answer.

If this OP, opens the eyes of even “one” dear saint, to the unprofitable observance of these holy-week activities, than praise the Lord.

4. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

It IS fault-finding if you are claiming your own personal opinion as the truth. Beam, meet mote.

5. stilllearning

Matthew 7:1-6
    V.1 ¶ Judge not, that ye be not judged.
    V.2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
    V.3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother’s eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
    V.4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam [is] in thine own eye?
    V.5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother’s eye.
    V.6 Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.

--------------------------------------------------
    V.1 ¶ Judge not, that ye be not judged.
    THE MOST MISUSED LINE IN THE BIBLE; BY THOSE WHO DON’T WANT TO BE CORRECTED!

V.2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
    THE REASON HYPOCRITES CAN’T BE USED BY THE LORD TO MINISTER TO OTHERS IN THIS WAY; BECAUSE THEY ARE IGNORING THEIR OWN SINFULNESS.

V.3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother’s eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
    THIS IS THE “MAIN JOB” OF EVERY CHRISTIAN THAT MINISTERS TO OTHERS.
    (CONSIDERING THE “BEAMS” IN OUR OWN LIVES!)
    A “BEAM” IS AN “UNCONFESSED SIN”; NOT AN “OPINION”!

V.4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam [is] in thine own eye?
    ACCORDING TO THE LORD, IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO CLEARLY SEE OR ARTICULATE THE PROBLEMS THAT OTHERS MAY HAVE, WHEN WE ARE NOT DEALING WITH THE PROBLEMS IN OUR OWN LIFE.

V.5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother’s eye.
    THIS IS THE BEST REASON FOR ALL OF US TO PRAY & STUDY THE BIBLE & GO TO A BIBLE BELIEVING/BIBLE PREACHING CHURCH; SO THAT WE CAN ALLOW THE LORD TO REVEAL TO US THE “BEAMS” IN OUR OWN EYES!

V.6 Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.
    HERE THE LORD CLEARLY SAYS, “DO NOT CORRECT PEOPLE WHO DON’T WANT TO BE CORRECTED”. BECAUSE “CORRECTION” IS A VERY VALUABLE THING AND THOSE WHO DON’T WANT TO BE CORRECTED WILL REJECT IT AND ATTACK YOU FOR OFFERING IT.

6. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

If it is hypocritical and sinful to recall and commemorate the death, burial and resurrection of our Savior, then I will be as sinful and hypocritical as possible!!

7. stilllearning

No Mexdeaf
    I was only responding to your post.
    (It is not “hypocritical and sinful” of me, to lovingly correct any brother or sister who might be falling away from worshiping the Father “in spirit and in truth”.)

But of course you knew that. Your last post is just a smoke screen.

8. 12strings

12strings Active Member

So, Stilllearning, do you still consider it a sin to specify a certain time each year to gather with other believers to praise God for the cross and resurrection?

9. stilllearning

Did I say that? Have I EVER SAID THAT???
    Please let me know.

10. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Are you saying that the people you are describing are:
    -observing superstition disguised as religeous practice?
    -In need of dismissing their pastor (a very serious charge) for observing good friday?
    -doing meaningless worship?
    -in need of correction for falling away from worshiping the father in spirit & truth?

...and yet, ARE NOT SINNING?

11. stilllearning

Hello 12strings

You asked.......
    This is a GREAT QUESTION, that almost deserves it’s own thread.
    ------------------------
    The question that I am referring to is, “Is it A SIN for a Christian to do FOOLISH and HURTFUL things(to themselves and others), in their worship??

Is it a sin, to have a crucifix in your home?
    (Or just foolish?)

Is it a sin, for a pastor to lead his Church in an extra-biblical way?
    (Or just foolish?)

Is it a sin, to just “go through the motions” in our worship of the LORD?
    (Or just foolish?)

Is it a sin, to “somewhat” fall way from regular Church attendance?
    (Or just foolish?)
    --------------------------------------------------
    This is the $1000,000.00 question, that I have been privately asking myself and others, for years.

And at this point in my understanding, I am giving them the benefit of the doubt.

12. 12strings

12strings Active Member

It depends a lot on motive, to a point...A preacher wearing a gaudy tie because he has bad fashion sense is not a sin, but a preaching wearing a clown nose because he just want's to see people's reactions is probably caring more about pleasing people, or drawing attention too himself as opposed to directing people's attention toward God's word.

I don't see how gathering people on good friday to that God for Sending Christ to die is in the same category of foolish and hurtful things.

Perhaps yes, but perhaps neither. Some think it magically protects them or gives them good luck, which would be a sinful reliance on objects more than simple reliance on God. Others might simply want it around to remind them to not forget what Christ did for them, which could be a good idea.

Depends on what you mean. Many pastors wear ties, preach behind pulpits,, & use a microphone... Obviously not sinning. Scripture goes out of its way to say that one man esteems one day as holy, while another does not, and both are fine...not sinning, in fact both being biblical.

Obviously yes, God does not desire fake worship...but there is a difference between offering false worship, and getting up and going to church even if you don't feel like it. The first disregards God, the second desires to please him, wishes the emotion was there, but commits to be obedient anyway.

Those who forsake the community of believers, even half-way, without being legitimately hindered are clearly disobeying Gods call to be a part of the church. I have never seen a totally committed believer who was fully obedient to Jesus, desiring to please and worship God...but who viewed church as a "take or or leave it" option.

So, you give them the benifit of the doubt, yet state that if a pastor leads a Good Friday service, he is unfit for ministry and should be removed? ...even though you are not even sure whether what he is doing is a sin or not?

13. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While I do not hate the KJV, I DO hate the FALSE, MAN-MADE MYTH about it, called "KJVO". It's a product of the devil, as proven by its beginnings from a CULT OFFICIAL'S book plagiarized by two dishonest authors.

However, I don't hate lent, ash wednesday, maundy Thursday, etc. I don't observe them at all, since they're man-made, not in ScriptureBut I observe Easter as a celebration of Jesus' resurrection, after His death on OUR behalves...sans egg-laying bunnies, etc. His death/resurrection IS in Scripture, of course.