1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Home Church Ideas

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by Gina B, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I've got a question.
    The current weather, my health, and just circumstances are making it so that I can only go to my new church once in a while.

So...my option right now is to do stuff at home with the girls on Sundays.

I'm very open to suggestions. I need to be able to do something that will minister to my teen/preteen kids as well as keep my straight too. I've been here once before where I couldn't go, and it's very hard on me spiritually so I know I have to do this.

I'm just not sure how. When I homeschooled I taught them Bible, but that's not quite the same and they were younger then.

What do you think would be a good way for a single mom to go about doing this?

2. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Can you really not go to church or are you just making excuses? Do you make sure you are up and at work during the week? Do you make sure your girls are at school during the week? I'm sure you make the trip to the grocery store whether you feel like it or not? So, if all these other things are important, then why not church?

3. Spinach

Spinach New Member

You cannot replace church, imo. I realize these days just how much I took my church for granted. I miss the singing and preaching in English more than I can articulate.

I would really try to get them there!

When we are not able to make it to church (usually that means we're snowed in or there is an illness among the children), we watch a church DVD from our home mission. They mail them to us once a month and what a blessing they are!

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Yup - I don't know if one can understand until they have experienced it.

In the early days of our church plant in our home there were times when it was just our family - it certainly was not the same.

Read Acts 2 - there does not appear to be a place for families to have their own church at home.

If I truly could not make it to church I would find someway to get my kids there.

5. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My first thought is see if the church has a bus ministry, or if someone could pick them up and drop them off for you, so they can still attend.

If you have half the health problems I do, I completely understand why you can't make it to church! The weather does play a big part for me with arthritis. I no longer attend Sunday School because mornings are so painful for me.

The Bible says that where 2 or 3 are gathered, the Lord is there. It doesn't have to be in a "church" building. If you want to stay in your current church, perhaps your pastor or others could visit with you as with the other shut-ins.

6. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Of course not. I pastored a church that met in our home for years, but the teaching, worship, and fellowship of body of believers is vital - no matter where they meet.

7. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I forgot to add, for the shut-ins who can't make it to church, my dh and another person would go visit with them, pray, sing, etc, but they would also bring a portable communion kit so the shut-in could have communion, too. They don't do this every single visit, but sometimes. Some of the poor shut-ins hadn't had communion in years, and it's a real blessing for them.

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

You don't know Gina very well do you. These aren't her excuses, but real facts in her life.

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Two of the last three Sundays we have not had church because of ice on the highways.

So we listened to the videos at

http://media.sermonindex.net/8/SID8579.wmv

and

http://www.persecution.tv/media/tfc/player.html

In 1975 I heard the speaker and remember as a young Christian at the time how I responded.

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Could you explain to those of us who have seen 2 inches of ice on the streets and the tow trucks cannot tow stranded vehicles because they were told not to be on the highways by the police, how one could attend church and on the way endanger the lives of others and our families by driving on ice?

Would you mind explaining why one would want to break the law when the police banned vehicles on the highway unless it was an emergency?

#10 gb93433, Jan 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2009
  11. Martin Luther

Martin Luther New Member

Home churches are a great idea, good luck!

12. hawg_427

hawg_427 Member

Get ordained and thenn you can have Church right there in your own home. There are several home based Churches in Dothan,Al. they had a good article in the newspaper about it.

13. Martin Luther

Martin Luther New Member

Get ordained for what purpose?

14. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Image and statistics

#14 gb93433, Jan 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2009
  15. MorganT

MorganT New Member

I know Mike Spradlin and he is a great guy. He is President of Mid America Bible College in Memphis. If you goto this website you can listen to daily messages by him. He adds a little humor in which, for a teen helps to keep there attention. He has richly blessed my life and I hope he blesses yours.
    God Bless

Live by the word by Dr. Mike Spradlin

16. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I didn't say Gina was making excuses. I just asked the hard questions that many don't want to ask. If Gina is legitmate then, by all means, I hope she finds the ability to lead her family in meaningful worship, fellowship, and growth in the Lord. People here in the South will use drizzling rain as an excuse. They use all kinds of reasons "excuses" not to come. And, they are not shutins. But, they somehow make it to work on time even. They make it to WalMart, etc. I met a lady almost every week at Wal-Mart. Oh she was just too sick to come to church but seemed to be just fine as she pushed her cart around. Most of the time, except in rare circumstances, one can make it to church. It's a matter of priority.

17. Karen

Karen Active Member

I don't think that is what he was talking about.
    I don't go to church under those conditions.
    But I do meet people in the store who thought they could not make it to church. It is a legitimate general question to ask even though it does not fit the original poster's circumstances.

18. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I knew preachers who plagiarized sermons each week. When does anyone question them each time they preach?

Why did he ask such questions when she stated, "The current weather, my health, and just circumstances are making it so that I can only go to my new church once in a while."

It appears that the questions were questioning her ability to tell the truth. She was asking for suggestions not an examination and interrogation.

19. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

To verify the Lord's calling and qualifications for ministry.

The idea of home church, in our country, is generally not a good one. It is quite often a result of people who are unwilling to submit themselves to the authority of a church, and so they go start their own. (I am not saying that is the case here.)

Having church at home and listening to messages on the internet is not church in the NT sense. There is little if any biblical fellowship and ministry going on.

20. Martin Luther

Martin Luther New Member

A good book to read is "Escaping the religious System" by Dan Mace. He shows clearly that the pastor is not the authority of the NT local church, the brethren are. All of these early churches had no leadership; they functioned as a corporate unit with Christ as head. There should be no division between laity and clergy, this division is Catholic in origin and diminishes the churches abilities. All members must be able to in the church, church is not a spectators sport.